C4 Forums | Control4

Nest introduces smoke/carbon detector

And what makes how you quote something the right way?

Sorry Kevin, we can all live up to the self proclaimed best driver developer outside of EV.

I have presented facts, logic, and opinion. Agree don't agree doesn't matter. Most other are purely opinion. Sure let's debate, just dot have a hissy fit with your buddies.

I can with certainty the awareness the product will create for being different will save lives. Be it 1 or 1000. It's more then before. I like to eat paste. Sounds like the BB posts on the dealer forum that because it might only be a small percentage it's not worth it.

Not everyone can afford the extra safety features in a luxury vechile but over time the make there way down the chain to more and more vechiles.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And what makes how you quote something the right way?

Sorry Kevin, we can all live up to the self proclaimed best driver developer outside of EV.

I have presented facts, logic, and opinion. Agree don't agree doesn't matter. Most other are purely opinion. Sure let's debate, just dot have a hissy fit with your buddies.

I can with certainty the awareness the product will create for being different will save lives. Be it 1 or 1000. It's more then before. Sounds like the BB posts on the dealer forum that because it might only be a small percentage it's not worth it.

Not everyone can afford the extra safety features in a luxury vechile but over time the make there way down the chain to more and more vechiles.

You haven't presented Facts or Logic, you've presented opinion and quotes from Press Releases... Outside of general statistics tied to smoke detectors

I'd personally like full disclosure on your ties to Nest because you either have some sort of tie or you just are obstreperous. I have a feeling your 153 IQ is going to be looking that last word up.

We've tried to debate but everyone's opinion are too far off and no convincing facts were presented to change anyone's mind.

So, I started this thread because there's a new product from a company that is working directly with Control4 on integration. That's cool, it's a good thing.

I don't understand why there's so much vehement objection/debate about the use of the word groundbreaking (and IMHO, the personal attacks are out of control). That being said, I can't remember the last time a smoke detector made these kind of headlines (or any headlines):

"Behind the Best Innovations: Obvious, Annoying Problems - Nest reinvents the mundane" - WSJ

"Meet Nest Protect, a Smart Smoke Detector That's Actually Exciting" - Gizmodo

"Nest Protect hands-on: rethink home safety for $129" - CNET

"Nest Protect: The Smoke + Carbon Monoxide Alarm Reinvented" - Business Wire

"Nest makes the smoke alarm smarter" - CNN

"Nest hopes to reinvent smoke alarms like it did the thermostat" - LA Times

"Nest Protect smart smoke detector packs WiFi" - SlashGear

"Nest Gives the lowly smoke detector a brain - and a voice" - Wired

"Nest Protect Unveiled: 5 Notable Features In The Revolutionary Smoke Detector" - International Business Times

Etc… etc… etc…

So, I started this thread because there's a new product from a company that is working directly with Control4 on integration. That's cool, it's a good thing.

I don't understand why there's so much vehement objection/debate about the use of the word groundbreaking (and IMHO, the personal attacks are out of control). That being said, I can't remember the last time a smoke detector made these kind of headlines (or any headlines):

"Behind the Best Innovations: Obvious, Annoying Problems - Nest reinvents the mundane" - WSJ

"Nest Protect Unveiled: 5 Notable Features In The Revolutionary Smoke Detector" - International Business Times

Etc… etc… etc…

And would you like the name of PR agency Nest used to get these articles ghost written and submitted for a slow news day? Seriously, they are a hype machine for overpriced home products made up of former apple engineers.

Is their thermostat the best? no, but it is the most hyped thermostat

Is their smoke detector the best? probably not, but clearly it is the most hyped smoke detector

Is people talking about smoke detectors a good thing? yes

Is this threat at all productive? no

So' date=' I started this thread because there's a new product from a company that is working directly with Control4 on integration. That's cool, it's a good thing.

Etc… etc… etc…[/quote']

And would you like the name of PR agency Nest used to get these articles ghost written and submitted for a slow news day? Seriously, they are a hype machine for overpriced home products made up of former apple engineers.

Is their smoke detector the best? probably not, but clearly it is the most hyped smoke detector

+10000

But its really fun!

So' date=' I started this thread because there's a new product from a company that is working directly with Control4 on integration. That's cool, it's a good thing.

Etc… etc… etc…[/quote']

Exactly. They're all paid PR pieces. They just have a good PR guy.

Exactly. They're all paid PR pieces. They just have a good PR guy.

Did you have a chance to read the first article from the WSJ? It's about companies that innovate using the "Andy Rooney business model" - like Square, Uber and Nest. A lot of stuff C4 does (and the HA market in general) seeks to do the same thing.

Going back a ways in this "discussion". All residential houses in Vancouver (pop: 700,00+) built since 1990 have required a sprinkler system. Other cities in the Province also require them. All new homes in my city must have hard wired smoke/carbon monoxide sensors. They are all interconnected:Mine broadcast fire/feur in all areas of the house when we burn the toast.

On a separate note: what a crappy down in the weeds polluting infantile thread. For some successful well-educated people, they need to show their responses/statements to their kids: would they be allowed to write like that? Respect is a value that should be demonstrated not just preached to others.

Toke

BlackWire does so much programming and driver writing, Luther said, that the only other company that writes drivers to the extent they do is Extra Vegetables.

http://www.residentialsystems.com/default.aspx?tabid=90&EntryId=634

Sorry Kevin' date=' we can all live up to the self proclaimed best driver developer outside of EV.[/quote']

lolololol where did i say that?

Look up ^^^^^^

BlackWire does so much programming and driver writing, Luther said, that the only other company that writes drivers to the extent they do is Extra Vegetables.

http://www.residentialsystems.com/default.aspx?tabid=90&EntryId=634

Sorry Kevin' date=' we can all live up to the self proclaimed best driver developer outside of EV.[/quote']

lolololol where did i say that?

Look up ^^^^^^

haha i forgot about that. Well technically that is correct so i guess you are right. i dunno what you want to me to say?? I apologize no one has written a story about a dealer who tried to crowd fund a tv driver and then did nothing with or who wasted who knows how much time developing a driver against a proxy that isn't released only to have the original makers of the driver he tried to compete with do the same thing. (Incase you didn't know EV has a Sonos driver written against the new proxy and its pretty cool)

When you decide to act like a business man maybe we will all give you less of a hard time. until then expect to be trolled. Your actions through out this thread, in other threads and on other forums do nothing more then create more and more trolls that want to argue you with.

What craps me off about this forum is how things get personal around here..

Here we have a guy in the HA industry come on here and start a thread about a new smart smoke detector.

The first mistake he made was to be a little too enthusiastic and not very objective..which lead to his second mistake:

The second mistake he made was not to declare any vested interest.

The third mistake he made was to make fun of a guy who actually new what he was talking about (fire safety is his field of expertise). And not acknowledge valid and sensible criticism about the product.

But it's not like this doesn't happen time and again around here.

Folks constantly come on here and brag about the "next big thing".. and use this forum to spruik stuff, but then can't take the heat in the kitchen when users ask the obvious questions. So there is a tendency to get all aggressive and personal.

What then happens is some quite good points that might be useful in the development of HA in general or Control4 specifically get lost in a heap of agro, chest beating and name calling.

The facts are

1/ these smoke detectors are very interesting developments.

why?> Because they introduce the concept of "smart" alarms.

2/ Smart alarms have huge potential benefits for human<>technology integration. And the acceptance of home automation.

So can we get back to discussing what's interesting and important about these Nest products. Why they may or may not work in HA. And how best they might be used in a Control4 environment?

Cheers.

Archived