C4 Forums | Control4

Nest introduces smoke/carbon detector

Now, it would be nice knowing which one has a dead battery. I have one somewhere in my house chirping. It's somewhere I don't go often, because the only time I hear it is when I wake up at 5:00AM and the rest of the house is sleeping. I really should figure that out one of these days. I think I'll change all the batteries before I spend $2,000 on these ones though...

That's the price you pay for not doing what's recommended and replacing the batteries (at least) yearly.

:)

RyanE

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You do know most homes do not have wiring to interconnect the smokes? .

FirstAlert has been doing interconnected hard wired and wireless (battery) detectors for years, with voice notification, and the run about $30. This is a price that will save lives by getting detectors into more homes.

Try around $50 yet still lacks many features that make the nest a better device, again even if it was only 1% better that equates to lives.

FirstAlert has been doing interconnected hard wired and wireless (battery) detectors for years' date=' with voice notification, and the run about $30. This is a price that will save lives by getting detectors into more homes.[/quote']

You said yourself people don't replace the batteries, that in itself is reason alone it will save more lives. If you think the nest will not increase the percentage of people that make sure the devices are powered and functional you are kidding yourself.

I don't need UL to tell me the obvious.

http://www.firesafetycouncil.com/english/pubsafet/safact.htm

There are your numbers, more systems functional and offering enhanced detection will save more lives.

Having the connected features and being able to alert neighbors, or tenants, or even trigger a vibration type device like a phone for the deaf. Will save lives. If you think even an increase of 1% isn't worth the added cost or awareness you don't value human life.

If you think this will "make" people change their battery you sir are delusional... People know that a smoke detector that doesn't work because of something as simple as a battery may Kill Them, yet they refuse to change batteries. This is a FACT and Death is FAR more motivational then some stupid device that connects to your phone app, yet people again still don't pay attention.

UL is one of the most knowledgeable institutions in the world on the subject of fire science, spread, behavior, and detection. You couldn't see the obvious if it hit you in the face.

The link shows nothing to do with Nest or any of their "Groundbreaking" technology.

Smoke Detectors save lives so the Nest will save lives... Does it have some technology that will make it work better then any other smoke detector, NO... They have not reinvented the technology to detect smoke or heat, they are using the same technology that every other detector utilizes. They simply added some LED's and connected to a network making it far more complicated, expensive, and prone to break.

I would and will highly recommend to everyone I know to maintain several standard detectors in their home if they choose to purchase a Nest Protect. It has zero track record of reliability and holds no third party certification, at least not that they are advertising.

Try around $50 yet still lacks many features that make the nest a better device, again even if it was only 1% better that equates to lives.

FirstAlert has been doing interconnected hard wired and wireless (battery) detectors for years' date=' with voice notification, and the run about $30. This is a price that will save lives by getting detectors into more homes.[/quote']

You are like every marketer or politician I've ever meet.

Fully of talking points, no real facts to back any of your statements up, and refuse to see the logic being presented by people who have years of knowledge and experience in a field.

Now I remember why I stayed away from this place.

I'm not going to spend $1500 on replacing all my smoke alarms. But, I could see myself eventually swapping out my 3 co/smoke alarms (one for each level) once they reach end of life.

So will this use the interconnect wire or will it be on it's own? If it doesn't talk with my dumb alarms (via interconnect wire), well then it's a deal breaker.

The price comparison argument feels a bit silly in a forum where most people "needlessly replaced" their working dimmers/switches with Control4 ones.

For $129, Nest Protect appears to pack a lot of tech/value - relative to other smart devices. I've ordered one, going to leave the traditional ones in the bedrooms and put this in the hall and see how it works out. When the C4 Nest thermostat driver comes out, maybe (fingers crossed) there will be event programming for the Protect available.

You've given your own facts that back up mine. Don't cry over spilt milk kitty cat.

Please shine your logic and eternal wisdom on me oh wise one!

Just because you hold a hose in your hand that spritzes a bit of water does not make you an expert, on technology and statistics does it?

I never stated to be an expert myself, but I have given you facts but none of my facts can make up for selective reading syndrome.

Try around $50 yet still lacks many features that make the nest a better device' date=' again even if it was only 1% better that equates to lives.
FirstAlert has been doing interconnected hard wired and wireless (battery) detectors for years, with voice notification, and the run about $30. This is a price that will save lives by getting detectors into more homes.

You are like every marketer or politician I've ever meet.

Fully of talking points, no real facts to back any of your statements up, and refuse to see the logic being presented by people who have years of knowledge and experience in a field.

Now I remember why I stayed away from this place.

The price comparison argument feels a bit silly in a forum where most people "needlessly replaced" their working dimmers/switches with Control4 ones.

For $129, Nest Protect appears to pack a lot of tech/value - relative to other smart devices. I've ordered one, going to leave the traditional ones in the bedrooms and put this in the hall and see how it works out. When the C4 Nest thermostat driver comes out, maybe (fingers crossed) there will be event programming for the Protect available.

LOL, well said!

The gated community I live in has mandatory whole house sprinkler systems in all homes. All of the homes here have the systems and there are about 125 homes here. In fact the city just north of here adopted a building code about 5 years ago that requires whole house fire sprinkler systems on all new home construction.

Close still keeps the count to 1

Our house has one.

Thats one. Lets see if we can beat the 3 :D

I came *really* close to putting a sprinkler system in my basement' date=' which we finished last year, but I basically ran out of time. They now have sprinklers you can (legally) hook into the residential supply, which makes things much less expensive.

RyanE[/quote']

The gated community I live in has mandatory whole house sprinkler systems in all homes. All of the homes here have the systems and there are about 125 homes here. In fact the city just north of here adopted a building code about 5 years ago that requires whole house fire sprinkler systems on all new home construction.

I came *really* close to putting a sprinkler system in my basement, which we finished last year, but I basically ran out of time. They now have sprinklers you can (legally) hook into the residential supply, which makes things much less expensive.

RyanE

Just because you graduated from ITT Tech doesn't mean you know anything about tech little fanboy, which is obvious by your your Yahoo Weather Driver.

A career dedicated to fire suppression and prevention does make me an expert on the subject of smoke detectors. Years investigating fatal fires and being responsible for code enforcement makes me an expert on the subject.

That's awesome, so we are now up to 2, still the stats for homes that have them aren't high.

But this should be mandatory everywhere.

I came *really* close to putting a sprinkler system in my basement, which we finished last year, but I basically ran out of time. They now have sprinklers you can (legally) hook into the residential supply, which makes things much less expensive.

RyanE

Says you

Pardon?

But Fadell stressed that the company didn't just go buy off-the-shelf components. Instead, a team of engineers "gutted" the typical detector and put in new sensors, including a photoelectric smoke sensor, CO sensor, heat sensor, light sensor, ultrasonic sensors and activity sensors. Protect will receive UL and Fire Marshall certification before it goes on sale in November.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/nest-protect-thermostat-start-now-make-smoke-detector/story?id=20499680

I hope you fight fires better then you debate or research technology.

Don't doubt for a second nest didn't pour millions into making a better device and not the same thing the others guys make. Millions into making a life saving device better is good for everyone.

I've known people to get a second opinion from Doctors that have been practicing for many years, why do that if experts are never wrong?

Just because you graduated from ITT Tech doesn't mean you know anything about tech little fanboy' date=' which is obvious by your your Yahoo Weather Driver.

A career dedicated to fire suppression and prevention does make me an expert on the subject of smoke detectors. Years investigating fatal fires and being responsible for code enforcement makes me an expert on the subject.[/quote']

But comes back to the point that those posting here are more likely than most to

* have smoke detectors,

* have run wires to interconnect those smoke detectors,

* have 110v smoke detectors,

* like their gadgets to be working

* want a feedback loop to integrate into HA

So are in a better place than the family on SNAP who are chosing between a gallon of milk and a 9V battery.

I'll spend $129 on the dimmer because it is a step change better than the $30 one. It is remote controlable, it provides feedback status etc.

$199 on this vs the $50 or $20 one. The feature set is not 4x better (for me at least). And the only bit that seemed neat (at least from F&LS) - the shutting off the AC - has been highlighted to be unimportant in a domestic situation compared to a high rise building (so says the fireman).

In conclusion, the $20 alarm with a battery and a wire to the other alarms will save my life. As will the $199 alarm. Both need battery changing. That leaves me with $$$ to spend on other toys knowing my F&LSS is adequate.

What $20 alarm has a battery and wire?

The nest is $129 not $199

Is it 4x better who knows, but it will be better and I don't put a price on lives. Even $1000 more on a house is well worth my customers family protection. Heck it's cheaper then the detectors we use now and better, so its a savings for my customers.

Also I haven't read that the Nest will shut of the AC because of a fire, in any of the press thus far. Sure it might do this, but the feature talked about is shutting down the furnace when CO is detected as that is the number one source of CO in a home.

Also talking dimmers and smoke detectors are 2 very different things. Going cheaper on a dimmer isn't the same as choosing a cheaper inferior smoke detector.

Sure everyone is free to choose what to do in their own home, and how to spend their money. But having these added features sure doesn't make your family less safe, and if there is a small chance it will protect my family better I'd pay for it, it's not like it's over $500 per smoke detector.

For $129' date=' Nest Protect appears to pack a lot of tech/value - relative to other smart devices. I've ordered one, going to leave the traditional ones in the bedrooms and put this in the hall and see how it works out. When the C4 Nest thermostat driver comes out, maybe (fingers crossed) there will be event programming for the Protect available.[/quote']

But comes back to the point that those posting here are more likely than most to

* have smoke detectors,

* have run wires to interconnect those smoke detectors,

* have 110v smoke detectors,

* like their gadgets to be working

* want a feedback loop to integrate into HA

So are in a better place than the family on SNAP who are chosing between a gallon of milk and a 9V battery.

I'll spend $129 on the dimmer because it is a step change better than the $30 one. It is remote controlable, it provides feedback status etc.

$199 on this vs the $50 or $20 one. The feature set is not 4x better (for me at least). And the only bit that seemed neat (at least from F&LS) - the shutting off the AC - has been highlighted to be unimportant in a domestic situation compared to a high rise building (so says the fireman).

In conclusion, the $20 alarm with a battery and a wire to the other alarms will save my life. As will the $199 alarm. Both need battery changing. That leaves me with $$$ to spend on other toys knowing my F&LSS is adequate.

Pardon?

You heard me Fanboy!

Oh my gosh, they put in a photoelectric sensor in a smoke detector? (GASP) That is ground breaking!

Not really, they are in lots of detectors.

It would have been slightly more interesting has the put a photoelectric and an ionizing sensor in. See both work about equally as well but the first is better with smoldering fires vs the latter which is better with flaming fires.

If the power fails they still need a good battery in it. You argue the tech will make them change it. I argue if the motivation of possible death doesn't make them change how is a silly app going to do it? It's not.

This isn't going to save more lives because those that can afford it have working detectors. Want to save lives give detectors away to everyone.

Want to know what saves more lives, education. Something you may need more of. There is a reason we go into schools early to teach kids about 911, stop drop and roll, evacuation plans, and smoke detectors. Because it's proven to be the key.

Your good at quoting press releases. Yeah they had engineers, not to design new sensors technology but to figure out how to squeeze it all in.

Now go get your shine box!

Maybe with all the money you make as an expert you should start giving away detectors as the only cost $15, at least it would most likely be cheaper for your insurance company to pay for all the homes in your area to get them and not have to worry about paying out insurance on a lost life be it a home owner or firefighter in your area. If you think it's so effective donate your time and go change all the batteries in your area. Isn't that what you do, prevent fires?

Why are some people so against progress?

When people have a phone in their hand that can run that app almost all their waking hours, it gets noticed a heck of a lot more.

You are crying as it is at $129 and now you want another sensor. If an optical sensor is more sensitive in the early stages of a fire, that would make sense why they went with such a sensor, also by increasing the sensitivity when the temperature rises this can also make the nest Protect detect sooner.

If it's proven to be the key shouldn't you be out there preaching to some children tonight instead of wasting time on the internet and all this technology that is beyond you doing it's own education. Maybe there is a second reason they have you out talking to children. If children are the key why not just stick one in everyone home, I'm sure the old people would love the company. I think you may have just found a solution to Chinas birth problems or the starving children in Africa. They are the ultimate fire suppression device. Children mandatory in a home, not sprinklers, and other fire suppression devices.

Pardon?

You heard me Fanboy!

Oh my gosh, they put in a photoelectric sensor in a smoke detector? (GASP) That is ground breaking!

Not really, they are in lots of detectors.

It would have been slightly more interesting has the put a photoelectric and an ionizing sensor in. See both work about equally as well but the first is better with smoldering fires vs the latter which is better with flaming fires.

If the power fails they still need a good battery in it. You argue the tech will make them change it. I argue if the motivation of possible death doesn't make them change how is a silly app going to do it? It's not.

This isn't going to save more lives because those that can afford it have working detectors. Want to save lives give detectors away to everyone.

Want to know what saves more lives, education. Something you may need more of. There is a reason we go into schools early to teach kids about 911, stop drop and roll, evacuation plans, and smoke detectors. Because it's proven to be the key.

Your good at quoting press releases. Yeah they had engineers, not to design new sensors technology but to figure out how to squeeze it all in.

Now go get your shine box!

As an existing Nest customer I have one smoke detector on the pre order list for every room of my house. I have to agree with THEORY that you can't put a price on family safety. If i have a smoke detector or CO detector that can email me if an alarm goes off so i can give my family an extra few minutes or even a few extra seconds in the event of a fire or CO leak, count me in. I currently have my fire alarms integrated with my C4 system but I think Nest will be a fantastic addition and i think this company is going to do great things. I already have the Nest thermostat and i can't wait for the drivers to become available.

Just my 2 cents.

I believe the children are our future

Teach them well and let them lead the way

Show them all the beauty they possess inside

Give them a sense of pride to make it easier

Let the children's laughter remind us how we used to be

Everybody searching for a hero

People need someone to look up to

I never found anyone who fulfilled my needs

A lonely place to be

So I learned to depend on me

smoke-detector-costume.jpg

As an existing Nest customer I have one smoke detector on the pre order list for every room of my house. I have to agree with THEORY that you can't put a price on family safety. If i have a smoke detector or CO detector that can email me if an alarm goes off so i can give my family an extra few minutes or even a few extra seconds in the event of a fire or CO leak, count me in. I currently have my fire alarms integrated with my C4 system but I think Nest will be a fantastic addition and i think this company is going to do great things. I already have the Nest thermostat and i can't wait for the drivers to become available.

Just my 2 cents.

If you're not home, the email telling you the house is on fire won't save your life.

If you are home, you'll hear any smoke detector before you hear that you have an email.

But...good on you. Glad you're excited about the new tech. I've got a few things I want to talk to you about buying from me...I'll PM you.

What if you were in an area of your home far from a local detector? What if you were in the garage and didn't have one there? What if you were outside cutting the grass and the children were inside? A phone that vibrates in your pocket and you then look at it could be a life saver.

But nah it's not worth an extra $100, because the DIY guy said so. Sometimes it's good to pay someone and not do it all yourself.

If you are home, you'll hear any smoke detector before you hear that you have an email.

I haven't seen you argue anything, aren't you in some deep beta mode right now to ensure everyones children have a moist lawn to run on or that their precious grass doesn't go brown?

This surely can't be as important a debate as how to keep my grass green and moist, can it?

are we still arguing about a 130 dollar smoke detector?

Archived