C4 Forums | Control4

Intercom app

osa

Question

I'm just getting the system installed, so I'm not at all familiar with how it all works. 

I need to be able to communicate with 2 of my kids through intercom. I first thought to go with 2 touch screens, but now I'm wondering if I'll actually need a 3rd one on my end to call from or can I just call them using the control4 app on my phone?

Which brings me to the next question. Given both kids would have ipads in their rooms, could I push-call them (pressing "answer" not required) from a 3rd smart device using control4 app? And no, I can't use facetime since that's purposely disabled on kids ipads.

Thanks!

14 answers to this question

1 hour ago, osa said:

or can I just call them using the control4 app on my phone

No - 3rd party apps CAN be integrated into C4's SIP setup, but it's not happening from the C4 app.

1 hour ago, osa said:

could I push-call them (pressing "answer" not required) from a 3rd smart device using control4 app

Well as I mentioned, it won't be from the C4 app at all. That said, I do not know if other SIP apps allow push-calls, or even push notification. When I was testing this is was REQUIRED to have the app opn and open.

5 hours ago, Cyknight said:

No - 3rd party apps CAN be integrated into C4's SIP setup, but it's not happening from the C4 app.

Thank you! Any suggestion on 3rd party app? Tried to search control4 in app store which only brought up 3 original control4 apps. I'm just trying to avoid buying the 3rd touchscreen.

I too am curious about Bria.  I've heard it mentioned here a few times, and anytime I inquire about set up or something the user on the forum goes MIA.

I have the Holovision door station and my goal is to broadcast a call to my cell phone off of house Wifi, so if I am not home, and someone rings the doorbell, I'd get that call on my iOS/Android device.  I have a PC running 24x7 for Blue Iris and that's it, so I can use that PC to host a VPN or whatever else if needed.

Can I use Bria on iOS to get an incoming call if someone rings my holovision door station?  A plus would be if someone pinged all intercoms within the house, it would go to the cell phone too, but that is not as important.

1 hour ago, eggzlot said:

I too am curious about Bria.  I've heard it mentioned here a few times, and anytime I inquire about set up or something the user on the forum goes MIA.

I have the Holovision door station and my goal is to broadcast a call to my cell phone off of house Wifi, so if I am not home, and someone rings the doorbell, I'd get that call on my iOS/Android device.  I have a PC running 24x7 for Blue Iris and that's it, so I can use that PC to host a VPN or whatever else if needed.

Can I use Bria on iOS to get an incoming call if someone rings my holovision door station?  A plus would be if someone pinged all intercoms within the house, it would go to the cell phone too, but that is not as important.

Now you're talkinga bout integrating Holovision via C4 to Bria - I suspect it won't work, but I'm no expert.

As far as outside the wifi, again, not my cup of tea.

As for pining your phone - sip doesn't ping you phone, it pings the app - in other words if the APP is up and running, yes it can be called.

Just now, Cyknight said:

Now you're talkinga bout integrating Holovision via C4 to Bria - I suspect it won't work, but I'm no expert.

As far as outside the wifi, again, not my cup of tea.

As for pining your phone - sip doesn't ping you phone, it pings the app - in other words if the APP is up and running, yes it can be called.

I guess I can play with it, but the Bria app was like $8.  not the end of the world as C4 has cost $10,000's :-)  but the idea of throwing away $8 on an app that may not work annoys me.  Wish you got like a week trial or something.

I wonder if the Bria app runs in the background so would accept an incoming call whenever.  

Holovision runs on the Sip server.  my Hc-800 is the SIP server so if I tied Bria into the SIP server, I would hope it is just as easy as adding the Bria client as another endpoint.  Just not sure if VPNs are needed or anything like that.

Bria receives a call when running in the background, but my understanding is that it only works when in the same local network as C4. Android devices only get audio, no video (somebody corrects me if I'm wrong). 

1 hour ago, etrochez said:

Bria receives a call when running in the background, but my understanding is that it only works when in the same local network as C4. Android devices only get audio, no video (somebody corrects me if I'm wrong). 

Haven't checked in some time, so the android thing may be fixed. Depending on the 'source' device, you may need to buy additional codecs to make video work.

On 5/19/2016 at 9:43 AM, Cyknight said:

Haven't checked in some time, so the android thing may be fixed. Depending on the 'source' device, you may need to buy additional codecs to make video work.

any tutorials on how to get started with Bria?  I dont mind testing to see where the app is at these days.  Just do not know what is needed info wise - or is it pretty easy once you download the app?

11 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

It isn't that difficult - not sure if it's doable in HE - actually it isn't as you need to drop in a driver for each device.

I'd have to look it up - may be able to over the weekend.

awesome would appreciate it.  Didn't want to download the Bria app and then just be stuck.  Stupid me, I thought in the app I would just add the SIP server info and some log in credentials and be off and running!

If I set up some sort of VPN could I get external access when not on the home network?

Archived