C4 Forums | Control4

Napster (formerly Rhapsody) Issue

We have received reports of interruptions to the playback of music through Napster (previously known as Rhapsody) on Control4 systems. Napster has started a transition from the previous RAD file format to AAC. The transition is happening gradually as they process their entire music library.

The new AAC format is not currently support by Control4, therefore songs that have been converted cannot playback through our systems. This is causing some playback issues, including songs to appear to be missing or unplayable, as well as introducing long pauses between tracks in a playlist.

We wanted to alert you that we are aware of this incompatibility and are laser-focused on rectifying the issue quickly and diligently. We will be notifying customers that are currently using Napster (Rhapsody) within their homes so they are aware of the issue.

We appreciate your patience as we work on a solution, once the issue has been resolved we will let you and your customers know.

Paul Williams

VP, Solutions - Control4

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, chesterwilson said:

Laser focus?  Sounds like a lot of corporate speak to me.  How in the world do your companies not work together on better communication to prevent these issues?  

I do think there seems to be some issue with communication between these two companies.  This isn't the first time Rhapsody/Napster has changed something that broke Control4.  The only reason I keep Napster is because of the tight C4 integration, since they are still in the dark ages on family plan pricing.  They need to do a better job taking care of their partner.

3 hours ago, turls said:

I do think there seems to be some issue with communication between these two companies.  This isn't the first time Rhapsody/Napster has changed something that broke Control4.  The only reason I keep Napster is because of the tight C4 integration, since they are still in the dark ages on family plan pricing.  They need to do a better job taking care of their partner.

This leaves a lot to be desired.  Zero communication between them. Looks c4 discovered the problem when it began to happen, a little bit too late. 

Most of my napster stations just keep skipping.

Today I got a email from c4, lets hope they work a fast solution!!!.

To Our Valued Control4 Homeowner,

We have been alerted of an issue that could affect your listening experience for the Napster (previously known as Rhapsody) music service on your Control4 system. Napster is beginning to convert their streaming music file formats to one that is currently incompatible with Control4. During this time, some of the songs in your playlists may be missing or unplayable. It may also result in more significant pauses between tracks and other playback issues.

We wanted to alert you that we are aware of this incompatibility and are focused on rectifying the issue quickly and diligently so that you can go back to listening to your favorite songs and playlists throughout your home.

We greatly appreciate your patience as we work on a solution, and sincerely thank you for being a Control4 customer. Once the issue has been resolved we will alert you or your Control4 dealer.

Same here and I wasn't notified either.  I even downloaded my data log file and sent it in to which I received a reply of "we have received your ticket" blah blah blah but they didn't tell me it was a know issue.  Very frustrating.

On August 16, 2016 at 10:30 PM, paul.williams said:

We have received reports of interruptions to the playback of music through Napster (previously known as Rhapsody) on Control4 systems. Napster has started a transition from the previous RAD file format to AAC. The transition is happening gradually as they process their entire music library.

The new AAC format is not currently support by Control4, therefore songs that have been converted cannot playback through our systems. This is causing some playback issues, including songs to appear to be missing or unplayable, as well as introducing long pauses between tracks in a playlist.

We wanted to alert you that we are aware of this incompatibility and are laser-focused on rectifying the issue quickly and diligently. We will be notifying customers that are currently using Napster (Rhapsody) within their homes so they are aware of the issue.

We appreciate your patience as we work on a solution, once the issue has been resolved we will let you and your customers know.

Paul Williams

VP, Solutions - Control4

Paul, are they getting any closer to a resolution. 

It's a disaster on Napster...

Yes top notch communication.  I'm overwhelmed by the timely and informative updates.

Just last night my wife ask how can we switch to spotify.  Until spotify changes their file formats that.  Is Control4 proactively adding support for more formats?

2 hours ago, chesterwilson said:

He has been laser focused on fixing this, thus he has disappeared from this thread for the past week.

Is Control4 proactively adding support for more formats?

Other than  saying they are looking into it, they cannot really post anythingas a public company - annoying but ... then again, they have (with reason) been very careful to release new features for years now.

Go Deezer and/or Tidal. Better sound, beter services than either Napster or Spotify IMHO.

28 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

Other than  saying they are looking into it, they cannot really post anythingas a public company - annoying but ... then again, they have (with reason) been very careful to release new features for years now.

Go Deezer and/or Tidal. Better sound, beter services than either Napster or Spotify IMHO.

This has NOTHING to do with being a public company.   It's been 10 days since the OP's original post.  Not one response or one update.  

8 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Uhuh. New format support is not a feature then? OK.

What in Gods name are you talking about?  What the heck does a new feature have to do with being a public company?  Adding back napster support is not material to the companies financial reports that would trigger a SEC investigation.

1 hour ago, chesterwilson said:

What in Gods name are you talking about?  What the heck does a new feature have to do with being a public company?  Adding back napster support is not material to the companies financial reports that would trigger a SEC investigation.

Sure.

Archived