C4 Forums | Control4

annex⁴ - FREE KODI Control driver

annex⁴

We are happy to announce we have released our driver for KODI control,  this allows IP control of a device running KODI software.  The driver will have a beta tag on it for a period of time but it has been refined over the last couple months to the point there is no issues and now we are looking at widespread usage and feedback.  That said there have not been issues with control for over a month.  Coming soon will be the media service portion of the driver which will also be FREE.  We have implemented this as a 2 piece driver, with this being the basic communication and the coming driver being the more media related functionality.

The driver is here
https://annex4.link/drivers/kodi-control

Enjoy, and Happy Holidays
annex⁴ team

again the price of the driver is...

FREE

I will try it - but I only dabble in using Kodi, Plex, etc.  I still use SageTV for my media at 8-9 TVs in my house as it continues to be the best platform for recording and playing back TV, especially since long time competitors like Windows MCE and BeyondTV bit the dust.  It can be controlled via IP as well and there have been some C4 drivers written down but I am having trouble tracking them down.

Kodi is F'n awesome and this I guess "ups the anti.."

Huge Kodi supporter and huge supporter of the Alan Chow drivers. Happy to pay for drivers as long as they are better and they continue to be supported... which has been the case with the A Chow drivers for a very long time now.... 

There is now ZERO excuse for anyone not to switch to Kodi..  

At least no excuse to not give it a tinker and try.. a complete DIY media streaming zone for well under 100 bucks...I mean  why not?!!!

I have had huge success with  Libreelec or Openelec. Being linux they are real robust... if the thing stops working, just pull the power plug and it boots right up like an AppleTv no probs.. so like I have said, I prefer these out at the zones where you can get to them as you go to watch a channel or stream.. rather than one in the rack> No Tv or Kodi? Network has stuffed you around?.. No worries! Just pull the plug!... though as Ilove has rightfully said you can get around the rack issue with a hard power GPO cycle device...  

On 15/12/2017 at 3:55 AM, zaphod said:

I will try it - but I only dabble in using Kodi, Plex, etc.  I still use SageTV for my media at 8-9 TVs in my house as it continues to be the best platform for recording and playing back TV,..

Sage is pretty awesome but FYI if folks need an alternative, You can now do this using the Vbox Gateway streamer front end and the Vbox Kodi PVR back end within Kodi... :) 

The streamer is from Israel. It converts FTA streams and broadcasts them on your network (and there is a STB/cable TV/Satelite TV version as well I think.. check the details to get the exact right one you need for your partic TV signal and needs)  The PVR Kodi app picks up the streams and populates Kodi with a TV section and a PVR/recording section.. 

It's pretty cool actually as everything -> Live TV/"TV Guide"/PVR/music/Video/Movies is all on the one tiny Kodi loaded device... Goodbye Coax cable to any new TV location... including Live TV and PVR access right up on your desktop PC/Mac or ipad/ tablet ... basically anything that runs Kodi works... but you need enough video processing power.. 

There are now 4K Versions of the gateway i believe and 4K Versions of Kodi box's (check the specs as you need decent video processing)... I am doing this right now... though obviously no 4K FTA TV yet.. 

A Nividia Shield would do it on it's ear and AlanC has now said this is his preferred box but it's expensive and Android .. and there are way cheaper DIY Linux based solutions out there as mentioned...

Vbox is pretty easy, the gateways are cheap and you only need one of these... nothing that someone who can configure and load Kodi onto a media player isn't more than capable of doing.. W

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.