C4 Forums | Control4

Text to Speech Driver (Web Interface, Control4 App, Voice Messages & More)

7 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

Reading the documentation, I see that the voice message is recorded using the web interface and works with most browsers.  Will it work on a web page pulled up on a T3?

Afraid not. The web page will load but the T3 webview doesn't give access to the microphone.

https://caniuse.com/#feat=stream (Check the Known Issues tab)

Is it possible it could happen? Seeing as it's a "Known Issue", probably - but it would then need C4 to probably update the browser T3 uses which i'm not sure about.

3 hours ago, Shivam Paw said:

Afraid not. The web page will load but the T3 webview doesn't give access to the microphone.

https://caniuse.com/#feat=stream (Check the Known Issues tab)

Is it possible it could happen? Seeing as it's a "Known Issue", probably - but it would then need C4 to probably update the browser T3 uses which i'm not sure about.

Will be cool if they ever update this.  That said, it works beautifully from the web interface. My 4 year old has already been recording and sending messages.

I have a strange problem on version 8 where the actual text to speech works from the web interface but when I try to open the driver on any navigator (iPad or T3), I get a spinning wheel and never get to the area where one types in the announcement.  It may be something to do with the BDM setup which my dealer has not used before (as far as I know).

Will be cool if they ever update this.  That said, it works beautifully from the web interface. My 4 year old has already been recording and sending messages.
I have a strange problem on version 8 where the actual text to speech works from the web interface but when I try to open the driver on any navigator (iPad or T3), I get a spinning wheel and never get to the area where one types in the announcement.  It may be something to do with the BDM setup which my dealer has not used before (as far as I know).
Same problem on android. It shouldn't be bdm

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

@Shivam Paw - two suggestions:

1. It would be nice if when one executes the “clear text” function it clears the text immediately if one is on the execution screen.  Currently one needs to back out of the screen and come back in to get the announcement text to clear.  I created a “Clear Message” button which works great apart from the need to back out of the screen and come back in in order for the text to clear.

2. It would also be really nice if one could edit the text in the pop-up announcement.  The reason I say this is that when I press my “Clear Message” button, I would love to change the pop up message to say something like “Text cleared” rather than “Announcement Executed”.  Another nice touch would be the option to skip the pop up message altogether if one so wanted.

2 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

@Shivam Paw - two suggestions:

1. It would be nice if when one executes the “clear text” function it clears the text immediately if one is on the execution screen.  Currently one needs to back out of the screen and come back in to get the announcement text to clear.  I created a “Clear Message” button which works great apart from the need to back out of the screen and come back in in order for the text to clear.

2. It would also be really nice if one could edit the text in the pop-up announcement.  The reason I say this is that when I press my “Clear Message” button, I would love to change the pop up message to say something like “Text cleared” rather than “Announcement Executed”.  Another nice touch would be the option to skip the pop up message altogether if one so wanted.

1. isn't possible as there's no way to force a refresh in that way (when something is executed)

2. not too sure i follow to be honest, sorry!

3 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

Another very minor comment.  When you have lots of buttons and are typing a message on an iPad it works beautifully, but when you are doing this on a T3, the text box with the message disappears off the top of the screen and you can’t see what you are typing until you hit “done”

Could you post a screenshot of this that I can forward on? Seems like a UI issue with T3s if I understood correctly. 

The second of the attached screenshots is what I see on the T3 when I start typing.

The first screenshot is what one should see (and can see by scrolling the screen slightly - which ideally should not be necessary and my wife is not finding the need to scroll intuitive).

7F7C4D8E-ADE3-4CFC-B68B-066C24303A17.jpeg

94B14ACE-497F-4CB6-BF6D-7BDE9B42B9DA.jpeg

On 7/17/2019 at 8:05 PM, South Africa C4 user said:

Version 9 comes with a better pop up - it shows the custom button pressed (if not default) and the message entered (if not empty) so that should probably help you out i think. Auto update should update to this version for you. It was released 2 days ago so if you haven't been updated automatically yet I'd assume in the next 24-48 hours you'll be running version 9.

As for that UI bug, I see what you mean and can try and get that looked into but im afraid i doubt it'll be high up on the priority list.

Is there a way to fix this scrolling issue? I’ve got about 10 buttons to control where announcements occur, but there’s no way to close the keyboard (that I have found) and no way to scroll. As such, I have repeatedly inadvertently executed the announcement in the wrong room. My idea is to make the top button a dummy one I can press just to clear the keyboard, but that doesn’t seem like a good option. 

3DF9F0BF-EA4A-4C66-826B-307A39DDF4AF.png

14 minutes ago, ILoveC4 said:

Is there a way to fix this scrolling issue? I’ve got about 10 buttons to control where announcements occur, but there’s no way to close the keyboard (that I have found) and no way to scroll. As such, I have repeatedly inadvertently executed the announcement in the wrong room. My idea is to make the top button a dummy one I can press just to clear the keyboard, but that doesn’t seem like a good option. 

3DF9F0BF-EA4A-4C66-826B-307A39DDF4AF.png

Can't you just press return on the keyboard?

One thing that I have always thought would be super cool for a text to speech driver is to allow concatenation of a few sound effects...

For instance, I would love my door bell announcement to concatenate a “ding dong” sound effect with a TTS “Someone is at the door” at some times of day.

4 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

One thing that I have always thought would be super cool for a text to speech driver is to allow concatenation of a few sound effects...

For instance, I would love my door bell announcement to concatenate a “ding dong” sound effect with a TTS “Someone is at the door” at some times of day.

For something that isn’t dynamic you could just easily create that WAV file...

3 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

Agreed, thanks... and I have that (not the best but I have a bell sound)... I just like the idea of concatenating this into an announcement with TTS

Agreed that plumbing sound effects in dynamically could be cool. Cheers or boos depending on which team scored...stuff like that.