C4 Forums | Control4

HC800 power supply

I don't think that is quite the case.  I tried old Dell adapters and they did not work.  I had a universal power supply and luckily one of the connectors worked.  But there are some threads here where people say that none of the connectors fit from a universal laptop power supply.

Used a universal power supply for many months before buying a replacement. The connection to the HC 800 was not as tight as the original but if left alone there was no problem.Then I used the connector of the old power supply to splice in to the output of a universal for the next failure.

On 2/12/2020 at 3:39 AM, prabeau said:

Used a universal power supply for many months before buying a replacement. The connection to the HC 800 was not as tight as the original but if left alone there was no problem.Then I used the connector of the old power supply to splice in to the output of a universal for the next failure.

I took a closer look this morning and I measured the DC connection at 6mm x 3mm

There are plenty of options for 19V 3.42A power supply, but the closest I can find for the connection is a 5.5mm x 2.5mm

Perhaps my measuring was not accurate enough?
or as prabeau says - perhaps I'll just have a less snug connection with this option...

1 hour ago, brucecampbell said:

I took a closer look this morning and I measured the DC connection at 6mm x 3mm

There are plenty of options for 19V 3.42A power supply, but the closest I can find for the connection is a 5.5mm x 2.5mm

Perhaps my measuring was not accurate enough?
or as prabeau says - perhaps I'll just have a less snug connection with this option...

if you have the connector from the bad PSU cut it and splice it to a good one.

I bought a universal adapter on Amazon and none of the connectors fit.  I went to a local electronics shop and did find a universal PS with a connector that worked.   I believe the connector size is 5.3x3.0mm.  This connector often is green when there are colour codings.

23 hours ago, zaphod said:

I bought a universal adapter on Amazon and none of the connectors fit.  I went to a local electronics shop and did find a universal PS with a connector that worked.   I believe the connector size is 5.3x3.0mm.  This connector often is green when there are colour codings.

Thanks mate - I'll have to hunt around to see if I can source one of these connections.

On second thought, it is hard to say as it is very confusing - it may actually be 5.50 x 2.50 mm.  Here is a photo from the side of the box.  The adapter that fits is third down in the photo with the green ring  But - on the little rack that contains all of the adapters it is the second one down and is labelled "B".    But this is the type of power supply where the individual adapters do "adapt" the main size plug.  It isn't the type where when you take off all of the adapter that there is a bare two or three pins, if you know what I mean.

The adapter that fits has the green ring - so it would be the third down in this photo on the box.   To be safe you might want to do what I did, take the HC800 into the shop with you and make sure you find one that fits.

adapter.jpg

• 7 months later...

FYI - I was able to order these adapters on Amazon for a good deal.  It converts from a very popular barrel size to the size needed for the HC800 which is 6.3x3.0.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07L5GB34N

Since there were no new announcements today regarding controllers the HC800 will live on as a cost effecting controller with lots of I/O.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.