C4 Forums | Control4

How to troubleshoot a dead camera feed?

Imagine an L-shaped single story house with the rack at one end of the L and the dead camera feed at the other end of the L - that's the problem I'm dealing with

The particular camera feed has been dead for several months - nothing shows up in C4 and no feed shows up when accessing the camera directly through it's address in a web browser

I finally got around to pulling it off the exterior wall this weekend and plugging it directly into the POE switch in the rack - as soon as I did that, the camera turned on and I was able to get a live feed in the web browser

So, it seems the camera is fine, but something is wrong with the wiring somewhere between the POE switch, through the attic and all the way out to the ethernet termination outside the house

The other cameras plugged into the POE switch have been working fine and I did try plugging this particular camera's CAT5 into different ports within the switch several months ago as part of my initial troubleshooting, but no luck

My question - how do I trouble shoot this? Thanks

Need to certify the line from point a to b.  Cheap testers just test continuity and wire map.  Testers like Fluke, etc. can tell you exactly where a break is in the line and such.

There are places that rent these certifying testers or you can call your local Voice/Data company.  Not all AV companies have these testers.

Need to certify the line from point a to b.  Cheap testers just test continuity and wire map.  Testers like Fluke, etc. can tell you exactly where a break is in the line and such.
There are places that rent these certifying testers or you can call your local Voice/Data company.  Not all AV companies have these testers.
This but a cheap tester may indicate that replacing one or both terminations would be a good start.

If the cable between those points has been stable and undisturbed that would be my expectations. Likely the outdoor / more exposed termination has gone bad.

Could be bad termination.  Could be a mouse ate the wire In the wall.  Could be a kink in the wire.  If it works when removed and plugged into switch it’s definitely the wire.  The expensive tester can locate more but if you don’t know how to run a wire then it doesn’t matter.  If you can’t reterminate it doesn’t matter either.  Something is up with the cable or crimps.  

34 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

If you can’t reterminate it doesn’t matter either.  Something is up with the cable or crimps.  

This. If the OP doesn't have the gear to put a new plug on the cable they are probably better off calling the installer.

13 hours ago, pinkoos said:

Thanks for the replies, I’ll check that amazon link out

The link will only tell you it’s a wire issue.  You know that.   Can you crimp a new end?  If so buy that equipment and reterminate.  If that doesn’t work something along the cable is bad.  You’ll likely need someone to go fish around anyways.  And they are likely to have the expensive tools to locate what/where is the issue 

• 3 weeks later...

So I ordered the item that was linked above and did some testing last weekend.

1: does anybody know why two wires were pulled out of the CAT5 and plugged into the camera separately as shown in the picture?

2: test on 'network' setting outside the house - '2' was a bit dim and 3/4 didn't light up at all...I guess those are the two wires pulled out and plugged into the camera separately? Why would '2' be dim?

3: same 'network' setting test inside the rack - all 8 lights are lighting up, full intensity - nothing dim / nothing off

4:  when the device in the rack was set to 'Scan', the device outside the house showed all lights fully bright except 3 and 4 - again I'm guessing 3/4 are off b/c those wires are pulled out from the main ethernet cable?

Is there anything that can be deduced from this info?

Thanks

3B23EA78-2F8A-4E65-B64E-66E4028D3E56.thumb.jpg.fe9b28e6ce3f3ee99313f5a60131f116.jpg

34 minutes ago, pinkoos said:

So I ordered the item that was linked above and did some testing last weekend.

1: does anybody know why two wires were pulled out of the CAT5 and plugged into the camera separately as shown in the picture?

2: test on 'network' setting outside the house - '2' was a bit dim and 3/4 didn't light up at all...I guess those are the two wires pulled out and plugged into the camera separately? Why would '2' be dim?

3: same 'network' setting test inside the rack - all 8 lights are lighting up, full intensity - nothing dim / nothing off

4:  when the device in the rack was set to 'Scan', the device outside the house showed all lights fully bright except 3 and 4 - again I'm guessing 3/4 are off b/c those wires are pulled out from the main ethernet cable?

Is there anything that can be deduced from this info?

Thanks

3B23EA78-2F8A-4E65-B64E-66E4028D3E56.thumb.jpg.fe9b28e6ce3f3ee99313f5a60131f116.jpg

The green plug is for power...  Most modern cameras run off of POE and you would not have 2 plugs.  

Just now, lippavisual said:

Is it an analog camera?

if not, looks like you’re not using a Poe injector for it because they spliced out 2 pairs for 12vdc power. 

It's IP and it's plugged into a POE switch back in the rack

Just to be clear you disconnected both ends of the cable for that camera for the test correct? You unplugged it from the camera and you unplugged the other end of that cable in your rack so it wasn't connect to a switch . You then took the tester and plugged one end of the cable into one part of the tester. You then went to the other end of the cable and put the other end on the cable. You then checked the lights on the tester. All this correct?

10 minutes ago, Pounce said:

Just to be clear you disconnected both ends of the cable for that camera for the test correct? You unplugged it from the camera and you unplugged the other end of that cable in your rack so it wasn't connect to a switch . You then took the tester and plugged one end of the cable into one part of the tester. You then went to the other end of the cable and put the other end on the cable. You then checked the lights on the tester. All this correct?

he doesnt have all 4 twisted pairs in his ethernet plug so it wont fully test out on a tester.

13 minutes ago, Pounce said:

Yup, that's exactly how I tested

2 minutes ago, ejn1 said:

he doesnt have all 4 twisted pairs in his ethernet plug so it wont fully test out on a tester.

Yea, just wanting to get clear confirmation since it was not completely clear from the description.

8 minutes ago, ejn1 said:

With 2 wires pulled out, how do you know your POE switch is powering the camera?   is the power voltage light up on your switch on that port?   and 2 confirm,  6 wires are in the ethernet plug?

The light for that port on the POE switch isn't green - it's not on at all (not even blinking or anything like the other ones)

1 minute ago, pinkoos said:

The light for that port on the POE switch isn't green - it's not on at all (not even blinking or anything like the other ones)

power light wont come on if the other side is not in the camera (I dont believe)...

3 minutes ago, ejn1 said:

Can you attach a pic of both ends of the cable so we can see all the wires going into the plug?

The end outside the house has 6 wires plus the 2 pulled out into that green plug

The end inside the house (in the rack) has 8 wires 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.