C4 Forums | Control4

Neeo NE-RMT has poor wifi connectivity

My dealer finished installing everything on Friday and mentioned that my wifi service was "poor" and the Neeo remote kept losing connection.  Since I didn't install their Araknis network gear ((Ubiquiti Pro AP's and Edgerouter X), he blamed my network and suggested a dedicated SSID for the remotes with the 2.4GHz channel only- which I did...  And it didn't help (I suspected it wouldn't).

Connected to the same SSID (2.4GHz only) I can pull 40 MBPS on my couch with my phone and don't have issues streaming  (-70dBm), but both Neeo remotes show -75 to -80dBm and loses connectivity all the time in the same location.  It's worse if I move around in the room with the remote- the remote just gets lost trying to connect to the network. 

I put both Neeo remotes and my iphone (doing a wifi RSSI scan) in the same location and checked Unifi to see what was reported:

Neeo #1, on AP1, -75dBm

Neeo #2, on AP2, -79dBm

iPhone, on AP2, -70dBm

The Neeo devices themselves reported the same values in the Settings->About screen

Anybody have any advice?  Is there some setting in Unifi I need to enable or disable to to make this remote happy or does it just have a sorry WIFI receiver (or both)?  My living room is halfway between 3 APs- I suppose it could be getting lost between them.  The closest AP is 25' or so away.  The furthest is ~40'.  My phone has no issues and immediately reselects to the best AP so it's not something obvious in my network config.  The Neeo remotes seem to stay camped on an AP even when I move it directly under another AP for 10-20 seconds before reselecting, so that's not ideal.

I'm tinkering with AP power settings and channels to see if that helps, but any other advice would be beneficial.  It seems like these remotes just can't operate with anything below -70dBm.  I guess I could install another Ubiquiti LR AP for $109 and irradiate myself with 24dBm of 2.4GHz...  

2 hours ago, Matt Lowe said:

from what i know this is part of why Ubiquiti is on the blacklist. I do not pretend to be an expert on the matter. However there is likely an issue with multicast traffic getting to the neo causing these issues.

How would multicast traffic handling have anything to do with WIFI connectivity?

Try creating a new SSID that is 2.4GHz only with the default settings.  You can tie the new SSID to the same VLAN where your Control4 equipment is connected.  Disable PMF-Protected Management Frames, band steering and perhaps proxy ARP.  You don't need "legacy mode" because that is for when you have 802.11b devices in your network.

13 minutes ago, rayk32 said:

Try creating a new SSID that is 2.4GHz only with the default settings.  You can tie the new SSID to the same VLAN where your Control4 equipment is connected.  Disable PMF-Protected Management Frames, band steering and perhaps proxy ARP.

Yep, tried that...  "suggested a dedicated SSID for the remotes with the 2.4GHz channel only- which I did..."

6 minutes ago, DAVIDN said:

Yep, tried that...  "suggested a dedicated SSID for the remotes with the 2.4GHz channel only- which I did..."

Interesting ... that is how my network is configured.  I have 2 Nanos and a FlexHD and my two Neeos stay connected.  What is BSS transition set to?

15 minutes ago, rayk32 said:

Interesting ... that is how my network is configured.  I have 2 Nanos and a FlexHD and my two Neeos stay connected.  What is BSS transition set to?

Is that configurable?    In Unifi, I only see an option for "Allow BSS transition with WNM", but no option to "tune" how that handover happens.  Does the Neeo remote support 802.11r?  

Are you running released or pre-released code on the AP's?  In a setup with an Edgerouter instead of a Dream Machine, are the AP's associated to the Edgerouter or is something different that controls the wireless configuration?

11 minutes ago, rayk32 said:

Are you running released or pre-released code on the AP's?  In a setup with an Edgerouter instead of a Dream Machine, are the AP's associated to the Edgerouter or is something different that controls the wireless configuration?

AP's are running on the Unifi controller v 6.0.45 on my laptop.  AP version is release v4.3.28.11361 which should not be a pre-release or a beta config.  

Really you should aim for at least -65 RSSI as the bare minimum for any device you want good connectivity with. Your issue is a combination of really weak wifi signal and NEEO has a garbage wifi chipset. Make a dedicated SSID on the nearest AP (and only on that AP) so that it doesn't try to roam to another AP. 

18 hours ago, tcwalker5 said:

I haven't heard this before.  Which blacklist?  What are some of the problems outside of what the OP mentioned?

Cause the errors are simple. It may be connected to the wifi but unable to connect to the controller and getting the same error. With out a lot more information on from the project controller, basically shooting in the dark. you need to have someone contact control4 tech support and find out the issue.

2 hours ago, jlemonakis said:

Really you should aim for at least -65 RSSI as the bare minimum for any device you want good connectivity with. Your issue is a combination of really weak wifi signal and NEEO has a garbage wifi chipset. Make a dedicated SSID on the nearest AP (and only on that AP) so that it doesn't try to roam to another AP. 

That's kinda the conclusion I've come to as well.  Off to buy another AP now- thankfully they're cheap.

• 2 years later...

I have similar setup and issues.  Network is all Ubiquiti, a UDM SE, 48 port POE Pro switch and 5 AP's.  Have a Control4 Controller and 6 Neo remotes.  The Neo's all have pretty weak signals ranging from -52 dBm to -73dBm.  They were plagued with losing the wifi connections and needing to be rebooted.  The Neo's also connect to my main network (not IoT) due to multi-cast traffic issues so their WiFi has both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz channels. 

Recently I made a couple of changes that has helped to keep the Neo's on the network.  I changed the APs' 2.4 GHz transmit power to medium and enabled DHCP Snooping.  Not ready to declare total victory yet, but so far so good.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.