C4 Forums | Control4

Wireless router suggestions

I'm about done with my Asus and the firmware issues I've been having. Any good recommendationso.

I thought I remembered reading about Ubiquity here and am willing to give it a go. Can anyone suggest a model number for a 2,200 Sq ft house with a quest house on an 11,000 Sq ft property?

I have the Asus rt-ac87u with the n66 repeater in the cabana now. It works MOST of the time.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Are you having a specific problem ?

What is your home network like? 

If wifi coverage is the issue go buy a real access point like Ruckus r500 and plug it into your router. 

4 minutes ago, control.four said:

Yes. I have Cat 6 runs and access points around the house are hard wired into the router.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As others have mentioned, Ubiquiti's UniFi line can't be beat for the price, but wonder over to their forums and you can find plenty of issues with firmware. 

Edge router lite on the other hand I've had great success with. If you have more than 1 access point you'll also need a switch, preferably with POE. 

Take a look at Xclaim by Ruckus: https://www.xclaimwireless.com 

I use a Uniquity Router with their wifi access points. Has been solid for more than 2 years. I had a ton of issues with a TP link network switch and none since switching to Cisco.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here.

Ubiquiti ERLite3

Cisco SG300

Ubiquiti AC LR and the original AC

Thanks for all the great responses.  It's a single story home.  With the ASUS RT-AC87U I have great range all around the property but a little weak in the Cabana (why i use the EA-N66 there).  I also have 5 other switches around: a few netgear POE for cameras and a Cisco SG200-26P for cat 6 runs in every room.

Asus starting preventing me from logging into the config page (this was part of the firmware problem with my model and a couple of others).  Not too bad once your setup, but if you need to make changes it's a PITA.  ASUS support has lost my confidence.

Now when I plug in any other switch to the ASUS router I loose Internet, the ability to login and it doesn't detect any wired connections.  Cisco offered to RMA their switch but my gut tells me to replace the ASUS first.  Two weeks for their RMA is not an option.

Ubiquity doesn't seem to be that costly.  Even less than the ASUS.  I've also heard good things about their performance.  Will the ERLite3 and one access point in the Cabana suffice?  Wait, I think I would need the ERLite3 and 2 AP LR's.  One in the cabana and one in the house.  Is that the correct model number of the access point?  I see the suggestion for the consumer version, but would rather be discrete and not plug access points into the AC outlet.  

Want to do this right this time. Thanks! ;)

How many networked devices do you have online at one time ? Are you stacking switches ? 

Besides the router I have 2 24 port switches and 3 8 port switche and a Vonage box.

Is it me or are there many Ubiquity access points to choose from. Any suggestions?

Decide on the radio standards you need. A / b / g / n / AC.

Decide if yiu need it to poe 48v compatible (if you have a poe router /switch) or are OK with their proprietary power standards and 24v injectors.

You may have some environment add to that. Indoor vs sheltered outdoor.

With those specs pick one.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for all of the positive feedback.

I ended up with the Ubiquiti Edgemax Lite 3 router and two of their access points (AP AC LR and AP LR Lite).

Setup was a tad bit more involved than the ASUS but definitely manageable. I've had no issues so far.

Thanks again!

Thank you for all of the positive feedback.

I ended up with the Ubiquiti Edgemax Lite 3 router and two of their access points (AP AC LR and AP LR Lite).

Setup was a tad bit more involved than the ASUS but definitely manageable. I've had no issues so far.

Thanks again!

Congrats on the new router. You will love the speed and reliability.

how is this an upgrade from a ASUS AC router?

The wireless AC (smoke alarms) can be best placed for coverage not where the Internet arrives at the home.

The appliance like router is more stable as I just routes. No other ancillary workload or features.

4 hours ago, SMHarman said:

The wireless AC (smoke alarms) can be best placed for coverage not where the Internet arrives at the home.

The appliance like router is more stable as I just routes. No other ancillary workload or features.

If done right, it won't even 'route' anything - it would just act as a gateway, possible taking care of VLAN as well.

In general you should have something like: Modem -> Gateway -> Switch -> everything else, meaning there's one wire from the modem to the gateway (router) 0ne line to the switch with wifi AP(s) connected to the switch.

If done right, it won't even 'route' anything - it would just act as a gateway, possible taking care of VLAN as well.

In general you should have something like: Modem -> Gateway -> Switch -> everything else, meaning there's one wire from the modem to the gateway (router) 0ne line to the switch with wifi AP(s) connected to the switch.

Good to know.

I'm modem > gateway (airport with most functionality disabled) > switch and ap.

Guess I need to rewire the ap cable.

I honestly wish they never made wifi and switch plus gateway in one (what people tend to call a router) let alone with the modem built in - some things are best kept to do one task...

Probably the best change that happened in my home. My personal level 1 and level 2 helpdesk calls are near zero now.

What stuff do you have disabled on the airport?

WiFi, Guest network can't think of much more. It does not do much now.

All it does is

1. act as basic firewall

2. Hand out dhcp and hold dhcp reservations

3. Route wifi to wired (but Cy says change that)

4. Route wan to lan

The planet switch does all lan to lan routing

Archived