C4 Forums | Control4

Native Z-Wave Support

therockhr

Control4 OS 2.9 includes support for Z-Wave wireless technology to expand support for Control4’s already large ecosystem of devices. The initial support will be for 13 devices that communicate to the controller through the Z-Wave Module and Z-Wave USB Dongle

Z-Wave support is available to EA controllers through the Control4 Z-Wave Module (C4-ZWU/E/H) attached to the Z-Wave USB Dongle (C4-ZWDUSB). You must connect the Z-Wave USB Dongle to an EA controller and the controller running Director in your project must be an EA controller. (You can connect the dongle to a secondary EA controller if your primary controller is an EA controller.) Currently you can only have one Z-Wave mesh per project.

You can use any combination of these devices for a max total of 50 devices per mesh. The drivers below are available in the Online Driver Database:

• Aeotec Z-Wave Water Sensor
  • Aeotec Z-Wave Recessed Door Sensor Gen5
  • Aeotec Z-Wave Door/Window Sensor
  • Aeotec Z-Wave Siren
  • Aeotec Z-Wave Range Extender/Repeater (see note below)
  • FortrezZ Z-Wave Water Sensor • GE Z-Wave ZW1001 In-Wall Outlet
  • Leviton Z-WaveIn-wall VRR15 Decora Receptacle
  • Leviton Z-Wave DZPD3 Lamp Dimmer Module
  • Leviton Z-Wave VRPA1 Appliance Module
  • Leviton Z-Wave DZPA1 Appliance ModuleSomfy
  • Z-Wave® Digital Motor Interface ZDMI
  • Somfy Glydea® Z-Wave® Plug-In Module

Note: Aeotec Range Extender/Repeater does not require a Control4 driver and can be added to the Z-Wave mesh with Composer Pro (Connections>Networking>Z-Wave Network>Available Devices>Add).

Just now, therockhr said:

Thanks @alanchow for that info. So does it take 2 add on pieces for z-wave support; the module and a uab dongle?

Was hoping for door lock support specifically. Interesting to see how much stuff gets added in the future. 

no the module is for the EA-5.  USB dongle is for the EA-1 and EA-3.

Control4 will open up Z-wave integration to 3rd parties in future but for now only Control4 can write drivers for them.

3 hours ago, alanchow said:

no the module is for the EA-5.  USB dongle is for the EA-1 and EA-3.

No, not AFAIK - it's just a two-part device. I suspect due to regional RF regulations there will be different modules for different markets, the 'dongle' is just the housing that seats the module. I would allow you to use a normal USB cable or extender to move the module AWAY from the controller (and rack, and other equipment)

5 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

No, not AFAIK - it's just a two-part device. I suspect due to regional RF regulations there will be different modules for different markets, the 'dongle' is just the housing that seats the module. I would allow you to use a normal USB cable or extender to move the module AWAY from the controller (and rack, and other equipment)

Oh wait i was wrong.  The module connects internally in the EA5 from what I hear and the EA1/3 require both parts.... I think.

9 hours ago, alanchow said:

You can use any combination of these devices for a max total of 50 devices per mesh. The drivers below are available in the Online Driver Database:

•  
  • Leviton Z-Wave VRPA1 Appliance Module
  •  

Heck Alan... STILL no non wifi "plug and play" 240V GPO C4 controllable solution???

How long are we going to have to wait?!  

("Earth to Control4"..... The Earth is round.. and there is a whole other side of the earth that uses 230/240V you know!)

1 hour ago, wappinghigh said:

Heck Alan... STILL no non wifi "plug and play" 240V GPO C4 controllable solution???

How long are we going to have to wait?!  

("Earth to Control4"..... The Earth is round.. and there is a whole other side of the earth that uses 230/240V you know!)

What's wrong with wifi based outlets? They work great as long as you have a good network.  I have 4 IP outlets at my house.  2 Belkin wemos and two orvibo wiwo-s20s.  They work great.

5 minutes ago, alanchow said:

What's wrong with wifi based outlets? They work great as long as you have a good network.  I have 4 IP outlets at my house.  2 Belkin wemos and two orvibo wiwo-s20s.  They work great.

I don't want another 25-30 wifi IP addressable end points on my already crowded network :)  (and I suspect the zwave and zigbee ones are more reliable: that is they don't drop out/off the mesh (network) as much.. Though I could be wrong about that...?

11 minutes ago, wappinghigh said:

I don't want another 25-30 wifi IP addressable end points on my already crowded network :)  (and I suspect the zwave and zigbee ones are more reliable: that is they don't drop out/off the mesh (network) as much.. Though I could be wrong about that...?

Zigbee and Zwave have their own intricacies.  You already know that Alex.  As with any system a solid network (whether it be IP, Zigbee or Zwave is a must).

11 minutes ago, alanchow said:

Zigbee and Zwave have their own intricacies.  You already know that Alex.  As with any system a solid network (whether it be IP, Zigbee or Zwave is a must).

Sure. I have other reasons for wanting Zigbee or Zwave... And all my networks are 100% stable actually. But be that as it may, we simply don't have the choice Alan.. which I find annoying....unless you can write or change a driver to get a different 230V Zwave one working now there is this new module in the new controllers..? 

34 minutes ago, wappinghigh said:

.unless you can write or change a driver to get a different 230V Zwave one working now there is this new module in the new controllers..? 

not possible with this release.  Only c4 can write z wave drivers *right now*

1 minute ago, msgreenf said:

not possible with this release.  Only c4 can write z wave drivers *right now*

Well that's a bummer..because there are a couple of suitable 230V Zwave plug into and control GPO sockets available that I could use here right now.. heck.. but thanks for that info anyway. Appreciate it.. :)  

Just now, wappinghigh said:

Well that's a bummer..because there are a couple of suitable 230V Zwave plug into and control GPO sockets available that I could use here right now.. heck.. but thanks for that info anyway. Appreciate it.. :)  

it does sound like 3rd parties will be supported in a future release...just not today's initial release.

13 minutes ago, Bubben said:

What does this bring that the vera integration dont?

except I only need to admin one system...

That's about it. It wouldn't replace vera if that's already set up somewhere.

C4 only supports those 13 devices right now, too. Just a way to give us dealers more options, it looks like.

Maybe I'm mistaken but the EV driver isn't specifically for Vera. So, does this update improve that driver? Does this update improve anything for the HC-800 and Z-wave?

P.S., a form is for asking questions and gaining understanding NO REASON to get frustrated :)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Archived