C4 Forums | Control4

Alexa Create trigger event--HOW???

Nehsmit

My dealer just installed the voice scenes driver for me today.... but I don't see anything different in Composer HE.  What exactly do I program to make this do something?  Do I program events under Media Scenes?  If so, then how is it activated? What has to be said to Alexa to trigger it to do this event?  I can't find any documentation on programming anywhere....

3 minutes ago, drmark12pa said:

My dealer just installed the voice scenes driver for me today.... but I don't see anything different in Composer HE.  What exactly do I program to make this do something?  Do I program events under Media Scenes?  If so, then how is it activated? What has to be said to Alexa to trigger it to do this event?  I can't find any documentation on programming anywhere....

select the voice scenes driver, in there you will add and name new scenes of which you can then program against

if you are running 2.8.2.. you cannot install the control4 alexa/voice scene driver

Once you are on 2.9.0 and have the voice scene driver installed.. you would click on the driver under system design.. and where is says New Scene Name.. you would type in your voice trigger (eg: "margarita time") Then you click on Set

Next you go to programming, click on the voice scene driver, pick your "margarita time" trigger. Now program all the things you want to happen to your hearts content.

I'm on 2.9... but I don't see where this driver is..... I have MONITORING, MEDIA, AGENTS, PROGRAMMING.... I do not see anything listed as Voice anything under those anywhere

It's in the tree with your project. In the room the dealer put it in.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

if you are running 2.8.2.. you cannot install the control4 alexa/voice scene driver

Once you are on 2.9.0 and have the voice scene driver installed.. you would click on the driver under system design.. and where is says New Scene Name.. you would type in your voice trigger (eg: "margarita time") Then you click on Set

Next you go to programming, click on the voice scene driver, pick your "margarita time" trigger. Now program all the things you want to happen to your hearts content.

I'm on 2.8.2 and have the voice scene driver installed. I've been added scenes and programming against them. Unless I'm missing something else, it seems to be working. There are some commands that don't always work perfectly but for the most part, it's there.

3 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

It's in the tree with your project. In the room the dealer put it in.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

Ok found it in my KITCHEN (where my Echo is located).... It looks like the programming is WHEN VOICE SCENE RECEIVED then you enter the programming.  But this appears to be the only one option for voice and there isn't any certain command (ie ALEXA, TURN ON ACDC PLAYLIST, ALEXA START MORNING EVENT, etc).  How does one program different phrases with different events??

Ok found it in my KITCHEN (where my Echo is located).... It looks like the programming is WHEN VOICE SCENE RECEIVED then you enter the programming.  But this appears to be the only one option for voice and there isn't any certain command (ie ALEXA, TURN ON ACDC PLAYLIST, ALEXA START MORNING EVENT, etc).  How does one program different phrases with different events??

You are in the programming tab. Go back to the room tree and you have to add the scene names. Then go back to programming and program against it

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Ok, StroTekLLC, now I see it under the MONITORING for the multiple commands listing... I will have to start fumbling around now.

So, when I eventually get the Amazon Dots added when they come out, how do the voice commands work from room to room or are they only triggering the room you're in?  If you're in your KITCHEN, how do program a KITCHEN TV on command and also a MASTER BEDROOM TV on command?

Ok, StroTekLLC, now I see it under the MONITORING for the multiple commands listing... I will have to start fumbling around now.

So, when I eventually get the Amazon Dots added when they come out, how do the voice commands work from room to room or are they only triggering the room you're in?  If you're in your KITCHEN, how do program a KITCHEN TV on command and also a MASTER BEDROOM TV on command?

You just need to have different scene names. Their is no understanding of which device you are triggering from

the voice command can be programmed to do anything(within reason) to any room

for example.. I have a echo in my kitchen.. and I have a voice scene called "media room to plex" .. to trigger it I would say: "Alexa, turn on  media room to plex"

Under programming for the event.. I turn on the media room.. and switch inputs to plex

20 hours ago, msgreenf said:

You just need to have different scene names. Their is no understanding of which device you are triggering from

Yet... and I am hoping that is a prophetic "yet"...

If C4 can link into Amazon Echos ESP we may get to a stage where "turn on Downlights" is room (or at least Echo) sensitive... now that is Star Trek!

1 hour ago, South Africa C4 user said:

Yet... and I am hoping that is a prophetic "yet"...

If C4 an link into Amazon Echos ESP we may get to a stage where "turn on Downlights" is room (or at least Echo) sensitive... now that is Star Trek!

Amazon/AWS is an MVP org. they listen and build

On September 25, 2016 at 1:57 PM, StroTek LLC said:

Thanks that was very helpful. This may have been just on mine, but I had to go back into the Alexa app and run device discovery again after doing the above. 

One suggestion to C4 would be to allow users to alphabetize the Voice Driver scenes.  When you bring up the Voice Scenes driver in programming, there is no pattern to the scenes listed and it makes it difficult to hunt and peck the appropriate scene to edit.

I've found this is the same problem that multiple screens in C4 has including the Agents>Scheduler, Programming>Macros, etc.....

• 6 months later...

I'm getting ready to add the Amazon integration to my system but I'm a little foggy on something.  When the commands are given to Alexa to turn something on or off, do the commands need to be programmed separately?  For example, if a command is given to turn on certain lights, the TV and other things, does the turn off command reverse everything automatically or does that need to be programmed as well?

Also, are all commands referred to as voice scenes, regardless of what they do, or are different terms used?

Thank you for your help!

Archived