C4 Forums | Control4

T3 10” touch screen

Hey everyone 

My touch screen has been installed for three months. All of a sudden it stop connecting to the controller. It works intermittently. Any idea of why? My dealer doesn’t know and won’t warranty it because it was a gift purchased from another dealer and I don’t know who it was to contact them. I called Control4 but they haven’t returned my call. 

Thanks 

Thanks 

Matt- POE

it will light up and I can touch the screen, but it won’t connect to the controller. Today the dealer came and got it connect and update then and stopped connecting. Sometimes the screen doesn’t have power or light up 

3 minutes ago, Joey13 said:

Matt- POE

it will light up and I can touch the screen, but it won’t connect to the controller. Today the dealer came and got it connect and update then and stopped connecting. Sometimes the screen doesn’t have power or light up 

sounds like a network issue

1 minute ago, Joey13 said:

Forgive me for my ignorance, but if the door station and access point work off the POE and are working fine, would it still be a network issue?

i am using a luxul 18 port POE switch 

Just throwing this out there.....garbage.

Try switching the patch cord to a different port.

How many POE devices are you running on that switch??

51 minutes ago, Joey13 said:

Any recommendations on a POE switch with more than 24 ports? 18 wasn’t enough anyway 

Do you need more than 24 PoE ports, or just more than 24 ports?

Because going over 24 POE will be expensive and it will likely be more efficient to go with a midspan (sometimes they are no longer called such but are termed along the line of multi device poe injectors) and a 48 port (non poe) switch.

Than look for PoE inserters or a small midspan (looks like they've started calling them PoE Hubs now too just to make it more clear what a switch vs a hub vs a midspan is <_<):

http://www.planet.com.tw/en/product/product.php?id=48838

Midspans aren't cheap, but it'll be less costly to get a 48 port non poe switch and a hub than it'll be to get a 48 port PoE switch. Not to mention if one 'side' fails you just replace the switch or the midspan, instead of forking out full price for a unit with it built in.

Thanks CYKnight. I am thinking I will need to upgrade soon. 

I just spent three hours labeling wires because the installer didn’t. I found the touch screen and tested the wire. Seems to be fine. I rebooted the system and it looked like it was fine, but it’s still struggling with communication between the controller and touch screen. Control4 advocacy hasn’t called me back. I am not happy with my dealer after spending  almost 40k, so I need to find a better fit. I get it , I did buy it from them, but I don’t believe it’s the touch screen, but what do I know. 

If any one hasn’t any other suggestion on what to check, please let me know.

Also any dealers in Orlando area ?

thanks again

Update:

i basically can’t explain it...

Reset the internet and all hardware. Still didn’t work

Tested the wire. Tested good. 

Tried different ports still didn’t work.

Looked  at the Network settings and tinkered around . Still didn’t work.

Downloaded C4 ME and couldn’t get it to load on my Mac.

i then downloaded the C4 app onto my Mac and connected to the director...just coincidentally at the same time the touch screen started to connect. 

i tried the touch screen and it worked perfectly for seven hours. When I woke this morning it was off/sleep mode (wouldn’t come on with touch) so I hit the power button and it came right on. Since then it has worked perfectly.  Hour 13 and no problems. I guess I am just waiting at this point to see if or when it will happen again. Really no answer.

Thanks CYKnight. I am thinking I will need to upgrade soon. 
I just spent three hours labeling wires because the installer didn’t. I found the touch screen and tested the wire. Seems to be fine. I rebooted the system and it looked like it was fine, but it’s still struggling with communication between the controller and touch screen. Control4 advocacy hasn’t called me back. I am not happy with my dealer after spending  almost 40k, so I need to find a better fit. I get it , I did buy it from them, but I don’t believe it’s the touch screen, but what do I know. 

If any one hasn’t any other suggestion on what to check, please let me know.

Also any dealers in Orlando area ?
thanks again
I'm in Orlando and use Hoppen Home Systems, they are based out of Brandon/Tampa area. They have built a solid system for me. I interviewed a bunch of local dealers and decided to go with them.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Update- touch screen still working perfectly... (2 weeks)...but here is a question for the experienced C4 tech/dealer/person. 

I am expereinceing other bugs and I am wondering if it’s the controller.  My alarm has set itself several times by itself and also sent a medical emergency alert.  Just the other day some channels of the (c4-16amp) amp went out and when I rebooted it only some started to work again. This coupled with the connection problem with the touch screen has me concerned. I am going to reboot the controller tonight. 

Thanks 

honestly, since you are having multiple devices fail it all sounds like some kind of network conflict, most likely an improperly managed switch,I would wipe it, and start from there, as fart as the alarm goes I would remove it from the project, and if the problem persists you will know that its something with the alarm, if not then add it back to the project and then see if it happens again

Archived