C4 Forums | Control4

Actions taken on room power on

When audio...only triggers on a sound only selection

When video, only on a selection that involves video..in other words, it matches what is under watch vs under listen.

HOWEVER note that a power OFF is ALSO an audio AND a video selection change - using the variables is the correct way.

5 hours ago, Cyknight said:

That depends - if you want something to happen on both audio AND video selection changes, I would argue that having to program the same thing twice isn't correct ^_^

Absolutely, but if you don't.. its possibly extra steps 

58 minutes ago, Hardware said:

Why are you adding macros? If you need a action based off of a specific watch or listen choice using the room events "when audio/video" changes is a single window with limited lines of code needed. 

Just saying if he is pissy about editing it in 2 places due to "inefficientcy". Have watch and listen hit a macro then edit the macro in 1 spot

4 hours ago, Hardware said:

Gotcha. I think his point is if you want an action with the room powering on no matter what happens, his way is less work.

Yup.

WHEN powerstate changes

IF room is on

-action

Vs doing the exact same IF plus action twice, or even putting a macro in twice.

Note that yes, the IF statement is still needed using when video/audio selection changes, because the room turning off is also a change in selection...so would trigger the programming

Thanks - that helps.  When you invoke a power on activity by using the video change event, I assume that the actions happen after it has turned on all of the devices in the room?  And since a power off event also invokes a video change, do the additional programmed actions happen before or after it initiates the room power off?

5 hours ago, VideoDemon said:

Thanks - that helps.  When you invoke a power on activity by using the video change event, I assume that the actions happen after it has turned on all of the devices in the room?  And since a power off event also invokes a video change, do the additional programmed actions happen before or after it initiates the room power off?

the when video selection changes event happens immediately. so if devices need time to power on you will need to program around that.

and you will want a conditional for when the room power is on.

what are you trying to program?

Got it.

My goal is pretty simple.  My receiver defaults to sending audio to the speakers when it turns on, and I want it to send it to the TV so that my soundbar will output the audio.  I just need to change the output when the room goes on.

I don’t care if it also does the same thing when it powers off - in this case it would be even better if it remembered the setting, but it doesn’t.

• 2 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.