C4 Forums | Control4

Supported Routers? Updated List?

Can anyone get me the updated documentation on supported routers from C4. Is this the current list? Also, I am looking for KB 296

Thanks

Mfg. Model Notes:

Pakedge RB-KIT Very powerful and Stable High-End Router, Contact Pakedge for more info and Support

Cisco (Linksys) WRVS4400N V2 Updade firmware

Cisco (Linksys) WRVS4400N Update firmware:

Cisco (Linksys) RVS4000 Firmware version 1.2.11

Cisco (Linksys) RV042 Recommended for advanced installers

Apple Airport Extreme V2 “N” versions read here: See Knowledge base entry 296

(Setup Recommended for advanced installers only)

Apple Airport Extreme (Setup Recommended for advanced installers only)

Linksys RVL200

NETGEAR WPN824 v2 Limit 1-2 zone systems

NETGEAR WNDR3700 UPDATE FIRMWARE REQUIRED in most cases

NETGEAR WNDR3300 Limit 1-2 zone systems / WiFi does not work with 802.11b devices (V1 10.5” TP / V1 Mini Touch)

Are you referring to routers or Wireless Access Points? It looks like the list contains mostly L2 devices.

One another note, what is the benefit of the specific devices on the list? 4Home access??

The benefit is that when used by a dealer, they are known to work with Control4 and the dealer can obtain tech support from Control4 on those specific routers. You can certainly use whatever you want but you're then left to you/your dealer's knowledge and support for that product.

I am referring to Routers. I have what looks like a known issue with C4 and I am trying to figure out why this is happening. I have a Apple Extreme as a router and a Juniper switch on the back-end. I do see there are some special configs for WEP for apple but that is all I can find.

This is my issue exactly!

Control4 gear doesn't often show up in the online tree or director list. Although, I am seeing C4 devices in DHCP list

There is absolutely no problem using an airport extreme with C4. Done so for years with 100% reliability. You sure it isn't your switch? What specific problems are you having?

I agree. Look at your switch. More than once I have seen a switch be the cause. I would recomend getting something on the C4 recommended list.

I strongly recommend anyone newbs pondering Control4 to charge your installing dealer with the task of at least spec'ing networking. You go on what you read here, you are on your own. There is equipment that works and then there is equipment that works well enough. Who is to say what is definitively needed for Control4 vs. what you need for basic data handling?

You will most likely run head-to-head with any dealer if there are operational problems with the Control4 system that is even remotely linked to shoddy networking gear or practices.

I am a degreed Engineer, but it is confusing to find a reliable switch these days.

I personally like to use pakedge switch's. They are much easier to install and manage the connections as they are on the back and not the front like other switch's(this really helps when you are using a rack). They are also very reliable and on the C4 recommended list.

http://pakedge.com/docs/SW16-GBDatasheetV2.pdf

I am a degreed Engineer' date=' but it is confusing to find a reliable switch these days.[/quote']

I personally like to use pakedge switch's. They are much easier to install and manage the connections as they are on the back and not the front like other switch's(this really helps when you are using a rack). They are also very reliable and on the C4 recommended list.

http://pakedge.com/docs/SW16-GBDatasheetV2.pdf

Well, I know my organization has never used them, and we have several racks and Cisco switches. Anyway, you need to rely a company that can replace the switch less than a day if it fails. My organization runs 24/7, and 365 days a year. If the switch fails then it is replaced within hours. It take me at least a week to get the pakedge due to their location. I didn't use a rack on my system, but I do have a rackmount server in the basement. The server is housed in a Xrackpro Noise Reduction Rackmount Enclosure Cabinet, with doors on the front and back.

Your work probably has a different ($$$$) SLA than I would expect most consumers to pony up for. Watchguard as an example has several hour turnaround options with courier service , even if you're out of the USofA - for a price.

About to purchase a router and was going to get the Cisco WRVS4400N v2' date=' but man it gets slammed on Amazon reviews.[/quote']

The thing works great. Remember the boneheads writing those reviews...

+1 they are fine.

ALthough at this time I would recomend that you look at a seperate router with a stand alone WAP. It just works better.

Your work probably has a different ($$$$) SLA than I would expect most consumers to pony up for. Watchguard as an example has several hour turnaround options with courier service ' date=' even if you're out of the USofA - for a price.[/quote']

Oh, I am in the USA...

Just giving an example of an SLA option that I noticed they had :)

About to purchase a router and was going to get the Cisco WRVS4400N v2' date=' but man it gets slammed on Amazon reviews.[/quote']

+1 they are fine.

ALthough at this time I would recomend that you look at a seperate router with a stand alone WAP. It just works better.

Can you be more specific. I had planned on getting the WRVs4400N and putting in on my 1st floor and then connecting a cisco WAP to one of the ports for the basement. What do you suggest exactly?

Yeah good point.

Archived