C4 Forums | Control4

DIY Control 4

Just comments since I already have a C4 system. A friend knows that i have C4 and he is considering going through Best Buy if decides to installed Control 4 but he ask me about this website.

BTW, most of recent C4 work has been done by James@diamonddesign.

^Your the man to tell him what he should do then. Between that and BB, I'd probably go with your guy assuming he makes house calls. I personally would not go remote with a product like this despite what you might read on this forum. Do you know of anyone here who is lived through a remote start-up?

http://www.whois.com/whois/assistedinstall.com

It's this guy: http://www.manta.com/c/mrsyjfs/2-entertain-inc

Looks like a startup running out of his home:

housecl.jpg

Control4 won't put up with this for long...although I think it could be a good concept, it would likely lead to many headaches. There is only so much troubleshooting that can be done from afar.

I don't see what the problem is - Control4 should put up with this. They are offering a pre-configured system and only the install is DIY. Troubleshooting may be a headache for both parties but if it were me, I would expect (to pay) lower hourly billing rates. Once it's installed, it's like any other dealer offering remote services.

I don't see what the problem is - Control4 should put up with this. They are offering a pre-configured system and only the install is DIY. Troubleshooting may be a headache for both parties but if it were me, I would expect (to pay) lower hourly billing rates. Once it's installed, it's like any other dealer offering remote services.

I agree... (as long as the purchaser is fully aware of the limitations of remote access configuration)

I don't see what the problem is - Control4 should put up with this. They are offering a pre-configured system and only the install is DIY. Troubleshooting may be a headache for both parties but if it were me' date=' I would expect (to pay) lower hourly billing rates. Once it's installed, it's like any other dealer offering remote services.[/quote']

I agree... (as long as the purchaser is fully aware of the limitations of remote access configuration)

And don't come here complaining that Control4 is a horrible system.

I don't see what the problem is - Control4 should put up with this. They are offering a pre-configured system and only the install is DIY. Troubleshooting may be a headache for both parties but if it were me' date=' I would expect (to pay) lower hourly billing rates. Once it's installed, it's like any other dealer offering remote services.[/quote']

I'm not saying that I agree or disagree with it...just saying that Control4 has been known to take a very aggressive stance on dealers selling products to customers that are "outside their coverage area". They require the dealer to put boots on the ground at the install location to be in full compliance with the dealer agreement.

Again, not saying whether I agree with it or not...just saying how it is.

^Are you considering this or just looking for comments?

This is why I asked this Q up-front because I knew a pissing match was coming unless there was a true need for someone interested in a system. Instead, it heads South, like so many posts here do, and it's a miracle that any customers here are formed based on what they read.

If Control4 sees fit to sell this outfit goods at wholesale then something must be right. As for working out of a home, so what? My dealer works out of his home and has no showroom- shall I bust him for this?

^It is crazy but nothing's changed or gotten any crazier than in the past. You got to focus on what the OP is asking. He never said to investigate the dealer in question or, once again, judge Control4 position on dealer criteria. He just wanted to know what is best for his "friend".

Let's end this shit and just say that DD might be the choice for "friend".

As for working out of a home, so what? My dealer works out of his home and has no showroom- shall I bust him for this?

I think the regional C4 reps decide who gets to be a dealer and who doesn't. I was told I needed a showroom and had to commit to $100,000 in C4 equipment per year, which seems different then stories I've gotten from dealers in other areas.

^^No clue man. My area is lucrative and my guy is doing as well as can be expected under the circumstances. He's got the installer's addy (and the techs) listed and that, I guess, met the criteria at the time.

Couple of general questions.....first, when it comes to the control4 dimmers and new and improved lightbulbs, are there any restrictions? It seems these days that LED lights are in for energy efficiency but if you go to the hardware store, you'll find that you need to buy a special dimmer switch. Can I assume that control4 dimmers are not yet compatible with these products? Second question...I have prewired my entire home for control4, including cat6 cable from everywhere to everywhere and cat6 cable from my equipment closet to each tv area. I eventually plan on distributing video. I don't need an on screen interface for each tv, so is there a need to have an HC-250 at each tv location? Does the distributed video pass through the HC-250 or can I run the video from the equipment closet through cat6 right into the television with an adapter. I figure the IR outs on the HC-800 can control the video matrix switcher and the dvd/blue ray changer, so there are no issues there, and I will be using dish's new hopper system. Here is the scenario. Upstairs bedroom, tv on wall, dish joey in the closet. The remote for the joey can control the tv and joey. I suppose if I wanted to put a dvd player in the closet, I'd need an HC-250 in there for the IR outputs to control the dvd player, but since I plan on video distribution to that tv, I probably won't go with the dvd player in the closet. I guess I just answered my own question? If I don't want to use two remotes all the time and just want the control4 remote, I will need an HC-250 in the closet, put the joey in IR mode, have the HC-250 control the joey, send an IR signal to the tv through a cat5 or cat6, and use the control4 SR250 remote to control everything?

1) look at specs for the lighting products here ( http://control4.com/files/products/data-sheets/Control4_120VWirelessDimmersSwitches_DS.pdf ) and read about what others have to say here on the forums (Lots of talk about Cree). Note that control4 has a standard dimmer and an "electronic low voltage" dimmer that are different and suitable for different applications.

2) No

3) No it does not go through the 250, you need a video matrix switch and the appropriate baluns, one or two for each tv.

4) You dont want IR really for the video switch, some have them but better control is found with RS232 or IP controlled products, IMO.

5) Something like that... have you met with a dealer yet?

I haven't met with a dealer yet but I've gotten a quote, specifically from ABT. They are also trying to sell me both an MB1500VA and an M4315PRO. I looked at the specs and both do power conditioning and surge protection. Is there really a need for both or can one do the job of protecting the equipment, especially the MB1500VA since it has batter backup?

Also, I looked at the dimmers. The 120V ELV dimmer says it can be used with compact fluorescent lights but says nothing about LED lights. Home depot sells dimmers that are specified for use on CFL and LED lights (for use on both). Can I assume then, that the 120V ELV dimmer should be ok with an LED light? Both CFL and LED lights must consume similar power?

It really depends on what LED lighting you're installing.

LED lighting is just like any other electronics, they can be made cheaply and dim poorly, or they can be higher-end, and dim better.

RyanE

Archived