C4 Forums | Control4

Emails sometimes taking many hours to be delivered

Hi, is anyone else experiencing this or knows what the issue is?

I have emails triggered by the garage door opening and closing and for being open too long (timer). In just the past few days, the emails sometimes take several hours to be received. The trigger time noted in the email copy is correct to the event time. Is there a log somewhere I could access that would verify the email sent time, so I can rule out my HC-800 and look at my ISP? Is this an issue with 4Sight? Other thoughts?

Note that this is not a consistent problem. Sometimes the emails come immediately as normal, and then nothing for a while. Then hours later, a whole bunch of emails come in all at once (with original trigger times in the body).

Thanks in advance for your thoughts,

Dan

Look at the header of the email, it should show you when each "hop" received the message and if any queuing is going on and where. The very nature of email is to queue and wait. So many different issues can be causing this state.

However, since 4sight is not using standard SMTP sending from the controller, they queue the messages off server back at control4 to then send out. So you are at the mercy of their mail servers. My guess is that your system is relaying the message fine to control4 and the problem is between control4 and the various routes to get to your email server.

You can enable logging at trace when the command is fired, but frankly, I went away from 4sight for email and went with Alan's SMTP driver as it works so much better and has more features.

Just my two cents...

Thanks so much for your quick response! I am a relatively new end-user (technically savvy though) and wasn't aware of an SMTP driver. Would be most interested in something like that. Quick questions:

How would I get the driver?

Do I need someone with Pro to install it?

And then would I be able to configure and manage it from within CHE or would Pro be needed for that too?

Thanks!

Dan

Dealer, dealer, CHE...

Yeah, you need a dealer to buy it from Alan's company.

Dealers need to install drivers (at least composer pro is required)...

It does take a bit of configuring, but it works well and after the initial setup, I believe you can do the actual email sending programming from Composer Home Edition.

I believe the price is pretty close to a year of 4sight, so it is reasonable.

However, there is one killer feature, the ability to attach files to an email. For example, I have it so when the doorbell is pressed, the SMTP driver grabs the jpg from the IP camera at the front door and emails it to me. 4sight can't do that...

Also, great for motion detectors :)

Just make sure you get the SMTP driver for outbound emails, as Alan also has a POP3 email driver that checks email and can perform actions as well. So you can email your house and have it turn on/off lights, etc.

Wow - emailing your house! Of course if you do it too much, your future "self-aware" Director might declare you a spammer and bounce all future emails. :-)

Last newbie question: can you please point me how/where to learn more about Alan's company?

Thanks!

http://www.recluseav.com.au/

He's in Australia, so its tomorrow there, he is pretty active on here, so hopefully will respond.

Just don't get your house on a spam black list, I was using my email to sms bridge via at&t (your mobile number@txt.att.net) and because I was sending a ton of emails out, they blocked me. Had to get them to unblock me and convince them the text were legit.

Hi, is anyone else experiencing this or knows what the issue is?

I have emails triggered by the garage door opening and closing and for being open too long (timer). In just the past few days, the emails sometimes take several hours to be received. The trigger time noted in the email copy is correct to the event time. Is there a log somewhere I could access that would verify the email sent time, so I can rule out my HC-800 and look at my ISP? Is this an issue with 4Sight? Other thoughts?

Note that this is not a consistent problem. Sometimes the emails come immediately as normal, and then nothing for a while. Then hours later, a whole bunch of emails come in all at once (with original trigger times in the body).

Thanks in advance for your thoughts,

Dan

I'm having the same issue. It started when my dealer renewed my 4sight account. November 15th...

Thanks all for corroborating your email experiences. Sounds like it is a 4Sight (C4's servers) issue... Yes, it's been better the past day or so. And I too was a bit freaked out by some of the late night "garage open" emails I'd gotten until I realized the time stamp and the email delivery time were so different. :-)

Okay, I've got a call into Control4 itself to make sure they're aware of this problem. I haven't gotten any expected emails today at all. Someone who manages the 4Sight network ("Nathan?") is supposed to call me back. I'll post here whatever I learn.

Please note that there have been some major service outages due to changes and updates this week. Monday and late Tuesday in particular.

While this is supposedly done now, there seem to be backlogs yet.

ALSO!!!!!!!

Every my.control4 account now needs to have a VALID email address and it may be required to re-validate existing ones (you can do this via a send validation link from within you my.control4 account - under user administration I believe). So please check your account.

Please note that there have been some major service outages due to changes and updates this week. Monday and late Tuesday in particular.

While this is supposedly done now, there seem to be backlogs yet.

ALSO!!!!!!!

Every my.control4 account now needs to have a VALID email address and it may be required to re-validate existing ones (you can do this via a send validation link from within you my.control4 account - under user administration I believe). So please check your account.

This is a C4 issue... Not my dealers not my network or anything else... My 4sight is validated!!!!!!!!!!!!

The C4 rep that called me was very nice and said he would look into.

Uhm yes, exactly what in my message makes you think I was pointing out your dealer or your network?

Also I wanted to add that accounts that were validated before, MAY not be anymore (being looked at afaik) so check that as well. If your account still says it's validated - you're good.

All this was a GENERAL statement, not specifically aimed at any one person's issues.

Uhm yes, exactly what in my message makes you think I was pointing out your dealer or your network?

Also I wanted to add that accounts that were validated before, MAY not be anymore (being looked at afaik) so check that as well. If your account still says it's validated - you're good.

All this was a GENERAL statement, not specifically aimed at any one person's issues.

Sorry, didn't mean for that. C4 first said did you call your dealer and it might be your network that's not fair to my dealer because it's not anything he did.

My system is rock solid.

I'm sure they will figure it out. Please accept my apology.

I wasn't able to log into my.control4 last night, which I only do every couple of months, and since last night I haven't had a single notification. I'm assuming that's a related issue?

Maybe time to consider Seth or Alan's driver

my.control4 was down last night for maintenance - about 9pm to somewhere in the middle of the night (MST) so the first part isn't surprising.

Emain notification is not down across the board right now - my personal one is working but the shop system wasn't, checked with some of my clients and they're good - but you're certainly not the only ones reporting this.

my.control4 was down last night for maintenance - about 9pm to somewhere in the middle of the night (MST) so the first part isn't surprising.

Emain notification is not down across the board right now - my personal one is working but the shop system wasn't, checked with some of my clients and they're good - but you're certainly not the only ones reporting this.

Thanks. Figures it's the one night I try to log in

Archived