C4 Forums | Control4

motion sensors and lights

I have a GE Concord alarm system with a couple of motion sensors. I am interested in adding the functionality of having lights in an area turn on when motion is detected. Would adding additional alarm motion sensors be the best way to go or would a Card Access type motion sensor be better?

Thank you.

Go with the alarm sensors - I use my DSC alarm with great success.

Don't go with pet sensors, as they are slower to react due to more beams needing to be broken before motion is sensed.

I do believe you can get sensors that are faster to see you than what most alarm's offer - but not sure on benefit vs cost.

If you can wire, use the alarm panel, if not you may want to consider CardAccess or Axxess Industries motion sensors - Find them to often be more reliable vs a wireless motion via a alarm panel.

if you are using this specifically for triggering lights, you pretty much HAVE to wire, as the wireless ones are too slow.

Depends on the ZigBee layout for the CA/Axxess. Also, the CA, possibly the Axxess can be powered seperately in which case they won't go to sleep.

It would also depend on what the goal is for the lights - ie an outdoor trigger may not be bothered by a short delay, stair step lights would be.

Last when placing WIRELESS sensors, you can use the freedom of placement to place them better where they sens movement a bit sooner - causing the lights to still come on at the right time.

But wired is obviously preferred - it always is. However it's not always a viable option to do so.

We are using sensors to trigger lights, tweet,Announcements and turn on the TV- Work great and they are very flexible.

When installing we used Blue tak to make sure they was in correct place to spot movement.

We use Axxess Wireless Motion Sensor, which also give you a temperature reading.

I great fun with them !!!

Archived