C4 Forums | Control4

Full HD Media Player suggestions

Hello,

I come looking for some further advice from everyone here concerning media players. Currently, looking at either Popcorn Hour or Dune players to purchase. My requirements are quite simple – ability to play all file types (mkv etc), music from ripped CD's, stable firmware, no stuttering when streaming, and some future proofing functionality so I don’t have to upgrade within a year or two. Below are some of the devices I have been looking at.

Popcorn A400

Pros: New release and will be around for a while

- Excellent support for a huge range of media formats

- Has Air Play for mac devices

- Has many apps

- 3D capabilities

- Bit Torrent capabilities

Cons:

- Very buggy and many negative reviews to date

- No Blu-ray player

- Video’s stutter when playing

- Doesn’t support Blu-ray menus

- Cost to get Extra Vegetables

Popcorn C300

Pros:

- Has Air Play for mac devices

- Has many apps

- Can get Blu-ray player

- Can install hard drive

- Bit Torrent capabilities

- Not sure about the 3D capabilities

Cons:

- Sounds like it will no longer receive updates. Focus now on A400

- Cost to get extra vegetables

Dune HD Base 3D

Pros:

- 3D

- Very stable

- New release from Dune

- Internal hard drive

- Don’t need Extra Vegetables purchase

- Highly recognized in industry

Cons:

- No Blu-ray

- Not many apps

- No Bit Torrent capabilities

- Purchase MyMovies

Let me know your thoughts on these devices or if there is something else I should consider, such as Dune HD TV or Mede8er. This will go be connected to my 4x4 HDMI matrix. I have a NAS for movie storage. Feel free to ask any questions and I will answer them quickly. My goal is to make a decision by Monday as I am so tired of going back and forth on which device.

Thanks for your help!

Last week the released new firmware for A200s. Those were end of life before the A300s which are now end of life as well. They keep doing firmware for all models. C300 firmware is expected in a month or so (a400 is focus because it needs it the most although they are fairly solid now).

Thanks for that info DD. I was on the site http://www.networkedmediatank.com/ and some were mentioning it wouldn't be updated much, if at all. After looking on the site even more, I have learned about couchpotato and many other great apps. I am ruling out the Dune at this time because of the apps. Also found out that Dune doesn't play music. Now, down to which PCH.

Thanks for that info DD. I was on the site http://www.networkedmediatank.com/ and some were mentioning it wouldn't be updated much, if at all. After looking on the site even more, I have learned about couchpotato and many other great apps. I am ruling out the Dune at this time because of the apps. Also found out that Dune doesn't play music. Now, down to which PCH.

Let me know which one you picked and why; I am looking for one as well.

I would seriously consider Kaleidescape, yes it is expensive, but yes it is absolutely worth it.

I fought it for years with XBMC, AppleTV, Plex, Dune, Popcorn, Media Center, you name it. I have never been happier since taking on Kscape as a movie server. It also does music

The Dune definitely plays non DRM music. I use it to send music to my theatre room all the time.

The Kaleidescape is outside my price point. I must admit it does look very nice though.

At this point it looks like I am going to purchase the PCH a-400. I couldn't find a device that could do everything I wanted, at a price I could afford. This device has excellent picture quality and plays HD, which is my main requirement. Some of the apps are a nice bonus as well. It also has some future proofing with 3D. Will probably purchase a Roku to supplement the PCH. Thank you all for your input.

Great choice (new firmware released yesterday for A400). Its almost my go to player now (still recommending C300 first and then A400). Hope you buy from us since we stock (have about 30 in stock now) and help out here but no biggie either way.

So my current (7/23/13) choices are:

C300

A400 (or move this to #1 if 3d is needed)

Popbox V8 (or move this to #1 is budget or size is key)

Great choice (new firmware released yesterday for A400). Its almost my go to player now (still recommending C300 first and then A400). Hope you buy from us since we stock (have about 30 in stock now) and help out here but no biggie either way.

C300

Is the dd media player gonna happen?

C300

I have an issue with my C300's where when I go to start a movie the audio cuts in and out and the picture jumps all over the place...it's totally crazy. A quick reboot of the box (I have an SR250 button now devoted to this) fixes the problem.

Is this something you've experienced? Any idea how to make it a "non issue"? It doesn't happen every time, but a good portion of the time. It happens with all different movies and file types too...no common denominator.

C300

You know better; but I was reading specs on C300 and it says it plays 3D content and even codec for SBS/ side by side mkv. What advantage does the A400 have over 3D media?

C300

You know better; but I was reading specs on C300 and it says it plays 3D content and even codec for SBS/ side by side mkv. What advantage does the A400 have over 3D media?

A400 will do frame sequential full 1080 3D.

Was catching up on this thread before I order anything and really appreciate the discussion currently ongoing. I find it interesting that the C300 was in front of the A400 in the earlier list. I do not have 3D TV at all and not sure when I will be getting it. If that's the case it sounds like it might end up being the C300 as the best option in the PCH line for me. Price is essentially the same so it comes down to whats best over-all. I do enjoy the knowledgeable users of this forum.

C300

would you ship to Canada?

I have the Popcorn A400 which at first was very buggy but finally works well with anything I've played on it including 3D. My only issue (which is a known issue) is every 24-36 hours the network drops the A400 which requires a reboot of the unit so you cannot control it with Control4 until rebooted. According the the Popcorn forums it's related to your network setup but no one can seem to determine what, where, and why. I have a tough time with this explanation since none of my other equipment just drops off my network.

diamonddesign

This thread has gotten my interest up and since I am in the States on vacation……!

C300

Having a NAS with 4T capacity will this unit work in the network and make use of NAS.

Sorry a novice here

Have a 3D TV but no 3d media to play ….yet

Do I need my installer for setup and what about drivers required ?

Thanks

Yes your installer would do driver setup or if someone doesn't have one we can do remotely. Its pretty quick and easy.

On the Dune I don't think they have a folder lock unless its a new feature I haven't seen yet. That's a very common question (although its typically worse than Saving Private Ryan when I'm asked :) )

Archived