C4 Forums | Control4

Controling My House with a Watch (Pebble)

pstuart

Well, after a few weeks with my new Pebble watch, I found a little app for my iPhone called Smartwatch Pro which allows HTTP requests to be relayed from a custom app you install on the watch, through the iPhone via bluetooth and then out to a server.

This then allowed me to use RyanE's web events driver (free) to program a bunch of different actions off those web requests.

Bottom line is, now my watch (when my phone is also with me) can do practically anything I can program at the touch of a button on the watch.

No more needing to wait for C4 iphone app to launch just to arm the security system, or turn off the lights, or anything I can dream of.

Something kind of cool about just pushing a button on my watch and having the theater fire up, pull up the HTPC, dim the lights after 30 seconds and send a text to my wife that the theater is warmed up and ready for movie time :)

Anyway, if you have questions, let me know, the process was pretty straightforward and I don't have time to put together a video right now.

extremely cool - I have a Pebble and have been wanting to try out something like this. I just watched the video from the SmartWatch Pro developer http://forums.getpebble.com/discussion/6931/ios-smartwatch-pro-available-on-the-app-store

Questions: Do you have to menu through all the way to the HTTPRequest area in order to do your automation? Or do you have access to some of that from the watch face? Call me lazy but I want to get there in less clicks.

I really have to try out Ryan's driver... I don't waiting for the C4 app to start up to do something simple, so I've been thinking about making an extremely basic iOS app with buttons and switches that just call a driver like that directly (and quickly). Unless someone else has already made one and I'm just not aware.

extremely cool - I have a Pebble and have been wanting to try out something like this. I just watched the video from the SmartWatch Pro developer http://forums.getpebble.com/discussion/6931/ios-smartwatch-pro-available-on-the-app-store

Questions: Do you have to menu through all the way to the HTTPRequest area in order to do your automation? Or do you have access to some of that from the watch face? Call me lazy but I want to get there in less clicks.

I really have to try out Ryan's driver... I don't waiting for the C4 app to start up to do something simple, so I've been thinking about making an extremely basic iOS app with buttons and switches that just call a driver like that directly (and quickly). Unless someone else has already made one and I'm just not aware.

Pocket Keypad is exactly what you're looking for. I love it.

I really have to try out Ryan's driver... I don't waiting for the C4 app to start up to do something simple' date=' so I've been thinking about making an extremely basic iOS app with buttons and switches that just call a driver like that directly (and quickly). Unless someone else has already made one and I'm just not aware.[/quote']

that IS exactly what I'm looking for... I sort of didn't want to look because I like coding projects :)

So thanks for crushing my dreams (and saving me a lot of time that, lets face it, I don't have enough of these days)

:P

downloaded - can't wait to get home and try it out

I really have to try out Ryan's driver... I don't waiting for the C4 app to start up to do something simple' date=' so I've been thinking about making an extremely basic iOS app with buttons and switches that just call a driver like that directly (and quickly). Unless someone else has already made one and I'm just not aware.[/quote']

+1 On the Pocket Keypad, it's really a great app, push notifications as well.

• 2 months later...

I've been thinking about how I could use Pebble to skip the current song forward or back, and use the middle button to toggle play/pause when I'm listening to music via C4.

Having a mini MyHome app on the Pebble would be cool.

Sent from my Droid MAXX via Tapatalk.

• 8 months later...

So I know I'm awaking an old thread but I have a quick networking question in relation to controlling a system with a smart watch. So I have the web events driver perfected with my Android Wear and controlling my system when I'm on my local network. Does anybody know how to send web commands when I am on an external network? For example: AT HOME - I send the command 192.168.3.150:8080/LightsOff and my system will turn the house off. How would I do that remotely if I know my public IP address for my home network? Thanks.

Gotcha It may be limited that way, not sure have barely played with it myself.

However, even if the watch doesn't have the ability, if it's using a phone to push it on much like Stuart's original post, your phone should be able to do a VPN to your house.

That makes sense. Now I just have to figure out a way to make my phone do it. Thanks for talking me through it. I'll post instructions when I figure it out in case anybody else wants to do it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If you have a vpn in your house, and on your phone, it is possible, but not likely that the phone will relay connected devices via the vpn...

There really is no safe way to do this externally.  If control4 had an API that supported OAUTH2 and you could generate a token and use that in a URL for the device to send a command to, then that could be secured over the API.

One can dream... 

Well I think I have a good plan of attack to get this resolved. The only issue is that you can only do it with Android as far as I can tell (to make it fully automatic). So I'll just lay out what I'm planning on doing. I should hopefully get a chance to set it up this weekend to test it out.

- Set up VPN at my house

- Download the following on my Android phone: OpenVPN ; OpenVPN tasker plugin ; Tasker ; Tasker for your watch (depends on which watch you have, whether it's Android Wear, Sony Smartwatch 2 or the pebble it should work)

- In Tasker create your commands that would send to the Web-Events driver. Test it out on your local network.

- Create a multi step task now in tasker to connect to Home VPN send task command then disconnect VPN. (Probably would have some kind of time lag due to having to connect to VPN but shouldn't be an issue since you're not even at home and can probably survice a few second delay).

That should be it. Sounds fairly easy until I try to implement. I'll let you know how it goes.

Archived