C4 Forums | Control4

Directv Driver

• 1 month later...

I have the EV DirecTV driver but how exactly do you get it to control the Genie mini?  Luckily I only have one of these in my system but I'd rather have it run over IP than IR to clean up the install.  

You still can't power these on/off via IP since IIRC it's a limitation of the genie itself. I think instead of the Genie units in the future I will be using the H25 receivers, as I understand it they can still stream from a Genie DVR but it doesn't take up one of the tuners - and you get full control of the H25.

I have the EV DirecTV driver but how exactly do you get it to control the Genie mini? Luckily I only have one of these in my system but I'd rather have it run over IP than IR to clean up the install.

It should be in the driver instructions. You give it the ip of the master unit then enter the name of the mini in the property for that. I have three minis and it works perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

DirecTV just offered me a free upgrade on my equipment which currently includes 2 of the HR25 units in my 4x4 HDMI matrix and 1 DVR HR24 all working perfectly using my network (no IR emitters... I believe I have the driver that is in discussion above).

I'm wondering if the new Genie minis and larger DVRs work as well with Control4 and if it's a good idea to upgrade for better equipment as long as it plays well with Control4.

As mentioned with the minis, there's no way to turn on/off via IP control at the moment. So we've been specifying the H25 boxes instead.

But does that really matter?  I just leave all of my Genie minis on 24x7.  I assuming, we're concerned about power consumption here so I did the math (I'm basing this off of my latest electrical bill calculating at $0.09434 per kWh:

HR44 (Genie Server) = $1.26/month (turned on 24 hours a day) or $1.20/month (turned off 24 hours a day)

C41 (Genie Mini) = $0.37/month (turned on 24 hours a day) or $0.29/month (turned off 24 hours a day)

H25 = $0.67/month (turned on 24 hours a day) or $0.62/month (turned off 24 hours a day).

So, assuming the IP driver could turn off my Genies, and let's assume I'm not home an entire month so they're switched off, I would save a grand total of 32 cents with the four Genie Minis I have.

If I turned those four Genie minis into four H25 boxes, and again, I'm on vacation for a month, totally switched off, I would pay $1.00 more for that month than if I just left the house and kept the Genies churning....  So either way, H25, Genie, whatever, does it really matter that we can't shut the power off? 

Is there something I'm not understanding here??

"It should be in the driver instructions. You give it the ip of the master unit then enter the name of the mini in the property for that. I have three minis and it works perfectly."

Really? I gotta tell my dealer that!

Oh for gods sakes.  Seriously?  Another dealer telling you the EV driver will not work with minis?  I think this makes three (in the last week) of folks having bad information passed by their dealer.  Here's the screenshot of the EV driver happily controlling the Genie in my living room. 

n6yezo.png

Thank you, Eric.

Perhaps you misinterpreted my message. My dealer said that Control4's DirecTV driver could not control my TVs using RVU clients well so he recommended I use Mini boxes and IR. 

Perhaps he didn't know your EV paid driver could do the work via IP.  He didn't said the EV driver wouldn't work, it just didn't mention it as an option. So I wrote (paraphrasing) "I have to tell him!"

I'm going to get the EV paid driver but stick with the mini boxes (not go the full RVU route) on the advice of WillEV's earlier post #16 on this thread. 

But does that really matter?  I just leave all of my Genie minis on 24x7.  I assuming, we're concerned about power consumption here so I did the math (I'm basing this off of my latest electrical bill calculating at $0.09434 per kWh:

HR44 (Genie Server) = $1.26/month (turned on 24 hours a day) or $1.20/month (turned off 24 hours a day)

C41 (Genie Mini) = $0.37/month (turned on 24 hours a day) or $0.29/month (turned off 24 hours a day)

H25 = $0.67/month (turned on 24 hours a day) or $0.62/month (turned off 24 hours a day).

So, assuming the IP driver could turn off my Genies, and let's assume I'm not home an entire month so they're switched off, I would save a grand total of 32 cents with the four Genie Minis I have.

If I turned those four Genie minis into four H25 boxes, and again, I'm on vacation for a month, totally switched off, I would pay $1.00 more for that month than if I just left the house and kept the Genies churning....  So either way, H25, Genie, whatever, does it really matter that we can't shut the power off? 

Is there something I'm not understanding here??

Each Genie Mini takes over one tuner on the Genie while it's on.  This means that you have a hard limit of three or four Genie Minis (can't remember off the top of my head) and then it won't let any more RVU clients connect.  It also means that if you're trying to record three shows at once, if one of those minis isn't showing at least one of those shows, you'll get one failure as there aren't enough tuners to handle it.

Leaving them off is the best solution for getting the most use out of the Genie and its 5 tuners; you can only do that over IR though.

Thank you, Eric.

Perhaps you misinterpreted my message. My dealer said that Control4's DirecTV driver could not control my TVs using RVU clients well so he recommended I use Mini boxes and IR. 

Perhaps he didn't know your EV paid driver could do the work via IP.  He didn't said the EV driver wouldn't work, it just didn't mention it as an option. So I wrote (paraphrasing) "I have to tell him!"

I'm going to get the EV paid driver but stick with the mini boxes (not go the full RVU route) on the advice of WillEV's earlier post #16 on this thread. 

Ah, I did misunderstand.  My apologies. One quick note though that the EV driver is not mine.  I am just a happy customer.

Each Genie Mini takes over one tuner on the Genie while it's on.  This means that you have a hard limit of three or four Genie Minis (can't remember off the top of my head) and then it won't let any more RVU clients connect.  It also means that if you're trying to record three shows at once, if one of those minis isn't showing at least one of those shows, you'll get one failure as there aren't enough tuners to handle it.

Leaving them off is the best solution for getting the most use out of the Genie and its 5 tuners; you can only do that over IR though.

Ah, this makes much more sense.  Now I understand.  Thanks for the clarification.

I had the EV DirecTV paid driver installed today.

No problems so far. I set the mini boxes to stay on 24/7. An extra dollar a month. I have a Tesla. I laugh at paying for an extra dollar's worth of electricity!

• 1 month later...

I just upgraded via DirecTV offer to keep me as a customer and so I have 3 receivers: my original DVR HD receiver, Genie DVR, and Genie mini.

I do not have ComposerPro but in looking at my Composer HE, it almost appears that with the Extra Vegetables driver I have (with most recent update I believe)  that I can specify the IP address of the new Genie units but it is not recognizing them.  The original DVR works perfectly.  I've had Neil help with remote integration but for some reason the system isn't recognizing these new Genie's.  I've turned off Power Saving and changed all settings on the boxes themselves to match the original DVR that is working. 

I've included 2 screen shots of the working DVD and the nonworking Genie DVR from the Composer HE Monitoring tab.

Any ideas?

post-127996-0-64043000-1404434076_thumb.

post-127996-0-82048200-1404434080_thumb.

I had the driver installed recently by Neil also. It seems the location is the same on both screen shots. You have to specify the actual location of the genie client (which you can get from the Direct TV set up screen) for the client to work. It needs to be exactly the same. The IP address is that of the main unit.

I know that the mini's have to be the same IP.  The issue is that the lua output isn't giving any of the location names other than the master DVR.  I've done these a few times and this is the first time there's been a hiccup.

I know that the mini's have to be the same IP.  The issue is that the lua output isn't giving any of the location names other than the master DVR.  I've done these a few times and this is the first time there's been a hiccup.

You need to be set up each client box on the DirecTV menus with a unique name first.  the "location" field is really the unique name that you gave each mini-client via the DirecTV menus. 

For example I have my master Genie unit in the theatre and named that box "Theatre" in the DirecTV setup menu. I then went into the client in the bedroom and named that location "bedroom" in the direcTV setup menu. Same for the kitchen.  When I return to the main Genie box in the theatre and look at the direcTV "whole-home" menu (I think it's called that) I can see the name of the main unit "theatre" and the mini-genies named "bedroom" and "kitchen". 

Now, in Composer HE, I put the main unit's (the "theatre") IP address in ALL THREE of the direcTV drivers PLUS the unique name for just that location in the location field below it ("theatre" or "bedroom" or "kitchen")

When C4 sends a command for the bedroom TV, it actually goes to the main unit (remember, they all have the main unit's IP address) and The Genie sees this unique "location" name (bedroom or kitchen or theatre) and forwards the command to the proper location. The Genie is actually dealing with a private subnet of its own and the addresses on this subnet are identified by those client names. So capitlization is important. "Bedroom" and "bedroom" are seen as different.

My guess is C4 was passing commands to your master Genie that included a location name that didn't match up with any of its internal client names.

The Minis have to be powered on for the Genie to be able to forward commands to them and for our driver to recognize the location name as correct.

Archived