C4 Forums | Control4

IrrigationCaddy on sale at Home Depot Today only (4/11/14)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just checked and am running 1.2.2606 so I'll try upgrading the firmware first.

Are you using cloud setup as well?  That could be a source as well, as I noted with cloud setup direct connection via local IP seems to grey out some status options.

I'm not using cloud setup.  Perhaps that's it.

I contacted them as well about the the full functionally in control4 about 1 month ago. The Lady told be is in the works but she does not know when. It might come with the release of W1 driver..

While back I spoke to Kevin - think who developed the c4 driver and told me the current driver has full functionally of the Caddy but  I  still can'r program it. He had said you have to use the generic relay for individual zone. - I still could not fingure it out after read the instruction in LUA-

I have been keep ey on this full functionally with C4 in a while - it would great. I gues have to keep my fingers cross. :rolleyes:

I contacted them as well about the the full functionally in control4 about 1 month ago. The Lady told be is in the works but she does not know when. It might come with the release of W1 driver..

While back I spoke to Kevin - think who developed the c4 driver and told me the current driver has full functionally of the Caddy but  I  still can'r program it. He had said you have to use the generic relay for individual zone. - I still could not fingure it out after read the instruction in LUA-

I have been keep ey on this full functionally with C4 in a while - it would great. I gues have to keep my fingers cross. :rolleyes:

I haven't tried it yet, but noticed you can bind a generic "sprinkler" to each zone, then in theory, you should be able to flip that zone on/off.  I haven't tried it yet but should be dewinterizing my system a week from today and will report back (unless someone is kind enough to beat me to it).

That's how it works, the driver has maps it's zones to relays. The relays show up in navigator under more/motors. You can fire a zone to run but the feedback is not there as to wether the zone is running or not. There are some programming opportunities to create custom alerts (pushnotify/email) but there likely needs to be a 4store app or navigator enhancement written to do the full job.

I'm surprised as Kevin usually has much better drivers.

I haven't seen the beta so can't comment, but am surprised as well.  In my driver development experience (and opinion), the hard work has been done in the coding to communicate with the caddy.  It's just a matter of exposing this to Composer through events and commands.

Also, regarding the 4Store app.  I really like the existing app that runs on the touchscreens and am surprised that: 1) It hasn't been updated to support the on-screen navigator (while this is not a trivial thing in Flash, the code-behind is built and the UI graphics are built, just need the code and graphics modified to support an additional resolution).  2) The app has been out for awhile and am surprised we haven't seen an update for additional functionality as has been mentioned many times here.

My 2 cents :)

• 1 month later...

I'm considering adding the Irrigation Caddy to my system but do not have the expertise regarding how this integrates. I currently have 8 watering zones, running 2.5.3 software. 

1) would this be all I would need to run the system

http://www.homedepot.com/p/IrrigationCaddy-IC-W1-Wi-Fi-Irrigation-Controller-W1/205000572?cm_mmc=shopping-_-pricegrabber-_-D26X-_-205000572&srccode=cii_35912516&cpncode=32-340900389-2

2) how does Control4 control this?

or would this work

http://www.amazon.com/IrrigationCaddy-ICEthS1-Sprinkler-Controller-Watering/dp/B004HIGV5O/ref=sr_1_1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1401458293&sr=1-1&keywords=irrigation+caddy

3) I've been told that Control4 is releasing a new irrigation controller in the next few months

Is there really all that much value in having C4 integration with an irrigation controller?  I bought an IC and I am happy using the web UI and/or apps.  And you don't need a subscription or VPN to access it remotely.

By the way, in an email IrrigationCaddy support has said that they are working on integrating weather info and/or forecasts into the controller's software - they hope to have this available later this year.

If you are interested in a bit more DIY aspect the Open Sprinkler Pi project looks interesting.  It uses a Raspberry Pi with some additional hardware as your Irrigation Controller.

Is there really all that much value in having C4 integration with an irrigation controller?  I bought an IC and I am happy using the web UI and/or apps.  And you don't need a subscription or VPN to access it remotely.

By the way, in an email IrrigationCaddy support has said that they are working on integrating weather info and/or forecasts into the controller's software - they hope to have this available later this year.

If you are interested in a bit more DIY aspect the Open Sprinkler Pi project looks interesting.  It uses a Raspberry Pi with some additional hardware as your Irrigation Controller.

Id love to trigger events based on me opening or closing the gate to temporarily pause irrigation while I walk to the back patio.  It would also allow me to try a few third party soil sensors without having to hardwire the into the IC.  There are a number of programming events I would try if things actually worked

Id love to trigger events based on me opening or closing the gate to temporarily pause irrigation while I walk to the back patio.  It would also allow me to try a few third party soil sensors without having to hardwire the into the IC.  There are a number of programming events I would try if things actually worked

What do you mean by "if things actually worked"?  Are you referring to shortcomings in the IrrigationCaddy driver for C4?  Or are you just giving examples of how it would be useful to have the irrigation integrated into C4?

My Irrigation system runs from about 4:30-6am - while I am fast asleep so I have never had the need to pause it.  I could see the benefit of triggering it to motion sensors - I once bought a motion activated sprinkler to keep the racoons from tearing up my new sod to eat the grubs underneath.

The driver is not aware of the scheduling done by the ic itself and doesn't give feedback unless the irrigation was triggered within the driver itself.

It's not aware of the schedule but it 100% polls the system to know whether the sprinklers are running, whether triggered by C4 or IC. You can change the polling time to have pretty rapid updates when the system is triggered. 

It seems there is a very large amount of mis-information about the IC Driver.. The driver is not released to the public and does actually support nearly everything everyone is saying it does not. 

The driver and new instructions will be posted on our support site soon. 

It seems there is a very large amount of mis-information about the IC Driver.. The driver is not released to the public and does actually support nearly everything everyone is saying it does not. 

Could you please clarify things for us Kevin?  Does this work with the C4 appstore app?  Will this pull and push scheduling from/to the IC?

Could you please clarify things for us Kevin?  Does this work with the C4 appstore app?  Will this pull and push scheduling from/to the IC?

It will work with the C4 app. It broke due to a driver name change. 

There is zero point in pushing or pulling a schedule. We do not have a scheduler system built into the driver as the IC does all of the scheduling. 

Can you provide a detailed example of why you need to push or pull the schedule to / from the IC? 

It will work with the C4 app. It broke due to a driver name change. 

There is zero point in pushing or pulling a schedule. We do not have a scheduler system built into the driver as the IC does all of the scheduling. 

Can you provide a detailed example of why you need to push or pull the schedule to / from the IC? 

I was hoping to have event based scheduling.  I currently have several programs built into the IC for different areas of my yard such as the flower beds, different types of grass, etc.  I could then have my weather driver initiate water programs based on the weather events, soil sensors tied into C4, etc.  

I was hoping to have event based scheduling.  I currently have several programs built into the IC for different areas of my yard such as the flower beds, different types of grass, etc.  I could then have my weather driver initiate water programs based on the weather events, soil sensors tied into C4, etc.  

You can manually trigger any zone in programming based on events

That was a composed response...  :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I have not seen Irrigation Caddy driver or equipment but would like to know one thing.... can I make/modify a watering schedule using Control4 software similar to how I can make a thermostat schedule in Control4? 

In my opinion, it would be so much nicer to be able to see the layout of a schedule such as the thermostat schedule than to program with the current RainBird box I have now in my garage.

Archived