C4 Forums | Control4

Composer Pro

If you can find the download link, the software won't boot up until you enter your credentials, which are only provided to Control4 dealers.

Get a dealer on here like Andre (AK1) to help you remotely.

Sent from my Droid MAXX via Tapatalk.

Pretty funny that they choose zigbee that is on open source platform for their communication. Then decided to make sure you can't do anything for yourself if you are not a dealer. You can't purchase anything except from dealers. I really don't have the time to work with a dealer for my individual needs. I have my own interface that I developed. I just want to tie my security and other automations that I have created into a control4 controller.

Pretty funny that they choose zigbee that is on open source platform for their communication.

Shocking!  They have the audacity to use TCP/IP and UDP as well!

And their OS install runs on a Debian-based Linux!

:)

Seriously, I'm sorry Control4's business model doesn't work for your situation, but the business model has nothing to do with what technologies Control4 uses to implement their system.

As others have said, there are a few things ComposerHE (Homeowner's Edition) does not let you do, that are left to authorized Control4 dealers, which includes setting the system up and making component changes.  Programming it (system events / commands / conditionals) are available to end users through ComposerHE.

RyanE

Seriously, I wasn't trying to start a war with anyone.  I just don't like being held hostage is all.  If I want to add a simple dimmer to my system I should not be required to wait a month or longer for someone to get around to me.  I am sure they will be people chiming in now a month? Why would it take a month......  It takes that long because it is a simple dimmer and they are not going to rush right over or remote in for something simple like that, they have large systems they are installing daily.  I just want to be able to add devices to my system without having to wait forever.  Would not be such a problem but I am always adding something to my current system.  I am sure I will continue this and I want to be able to do so on my time is all. My point about open architecture is someone taking open architecture and making it proprietary (ironic is all). 

Can't speak for all dealers, but it sure wouldn't take me a month to add something to your system, especially not to remote in and add that device. Likely that day or the next, unless I'm so swamped I can't take 15 minutes to log in.

That said, it does seem that Control4 is not the way to go for you at this time - no harm in that in any way, sometimes it just isn't the right match.

I'm guessing you got your controller off of ebay? I'm curious to see if you knew prior to purchase if you know it was "dealer only", or if a dealer sold it to you and told you you'd be able to find the software on your own.

It is my fault for sure.  I figured they would be a way around the dealer.  I have had the dealer do some other work for me and it took about 3 months I just didn't feel like dealing with them.  I figured I had some other options.  I am not worried too much about it...... I will work something out.

No war here, but characterizing it as you being "held hostage" for freely purchasing a controller, then finding out that it's a dealer-install-only system is not a fair characterization.

I wish you the best with your system, but Control4 may not be the right fit for you.

Cheers,

RyanE

There are some dealers who specialize in helping out homeowners in your type of situation, who typically handle device adds and setup via a 4Sight account remotely, and are much more responsive than a dealer who specializes in large projects.

Again, I hope for the best for whatever you end up doing.

RyanE

I'm also a software engineer and still went in with C4 because the simple fact is that this is the way this industry works (for now).   This is the business model for home automation and its built around dealers as a channel.  C4 does not have to have an 800 number to support thousands of NON-TECHNICAL consumers, they can focus their energy on supporting certified dealers, that support their customers directly.  In exchange for that service, dealers get to buy C4 hardware and mark it up and make a living supporting their customers wherever they are.  Seem fair enough for something as complicated as a full home automation build out.  

If there were a non-dealer-based solution that I thought could have met all of my needs (the needs C4 and Crestron could meet) I would have done it.  I could tell the zigbee and x-10 junk out there was going to be a major pain for me if i went that route.  

I recommend you find a dealer (maybe someone on active on this forum) and see if they can work WITH you.  Learn the programming and have fun with HomeComposer HE.

I will say, that I do believe HA is an industry ripe for disruption.  Someone will inevitably come up with a dead simple solution to at least 80% of what C4 solves and offer it direct to consumers.  Look at what Sonos has done to whole house audio.

Archived