C4 Forums | Control4

My recommendation for C4 to stay relevant

If women designed the NAV GUI and the interfaces to the Control4 product, I don't think media selection and control would behave anything like it currently does.

So there is more than 50% of your potential market lost right there...... 

Anyway we are getting off track. The point I'm making is not enough attention, R&D and spend has been paid getting the NAV and media control spot on and right.. and this is the gateway to the entire Control4 platform and experience...

...iOS as a comparison *is* the experience...

....alot of which (as I've said many times before) comes back to extremely well implemented search.... 

:)

Ask yourself one Q. One.

Has your female daughter/wife/spouce/girlfriend/lover/whatever *ever* said this one thing about the C4 nav and Control4 media management?

"Gee honey. I just luv how easy this (insert SR250/C4 TS, whatever) is to navigate around and use?

Have they EVER said this to you?

On the flip side have you ever, EVER heard them complain about using iOS or Google? 

Guys they have been telling us for years that Control4 media mangement sucks and this message has simply failed to get back to C4HQ...

Yes, my wife as well as my two daughters were able to use the interface in one single day.

My daughter CHOSE android over iOS because on trying the didn't like iOS and my wife bitched at me for 2 months about her new iPhone until I changed it, then bitched for another month until she got the hang of her android.....somewhat.

Media management has been at a standstill for too long, hopefully we'll see changes soon - C4 hasn't been ignoring the calls for a change, just been slow to implement. But media management is not interface, the interface as such for selecting media could use improvement but the real trouble is getting the data in to use.

Maybe you believe this business is 99% male driven WAP, but from my perspective it's 60% the "lady of the house" that decides yay or nay to begin with (tough it's often men who initiate looking for this) - and I deal with women to man on a daily basis ratio of probably 80 to 20. That may be an indicator of a male driven economy (the wife at home/the one that has to take time off) but it if you think the women are not a major part of our business you are sadly mistaken.

Home automation is NOT man-cave/theatre. That SHOULD be only a minor part of a system.

Wap, shut your c4 system down for a few days, and then tell me your wife and kids can live without it and just use iOS...  If my system hiccups, I get the following within minutes to hours depending on time of day...

-I can't see the cameras on my iphone (via C4 interface)

-I can't turn the girls lights off (via C4 interface)

-I can't check the t-stat and lower/raise it (VIA C4 interface)

-I can't disarm the security system to let the dog out (via C4 interface)

-The switch in the hallway (a three way) didn't turn the light on, and I can't turn it on via the C4 interface...

-The doorbell rang and the tv didn't show the camera via the C4 interface or Touchscreens.

Yeah, all of these have happened when the c4 system is taken down (usually for upgrade) or hiccups.  Not often, but if I shut down the C4 system, guaranteed my wife or daughters would say these things.

Wap, just curious what do you do for a living? You seem to have all the answers about home automation, DRM, media management. Just curious your background.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Wap, shut your c4 system down for a few days, and then tell me your wife and kids can live without it and just use iOS...  If my system hiccups, I get the following within minutes to hours depending on time of day...

-I can't see the cameras on my iphone (via C4 interface)

-I can't turn the girls lights off (via C4 interface)

-I can't check the t-stat and lower/raise it (VIA C4 interface)

-I can't disarm the security system to let the dog out (via C4 interface)

-The switch in the hallway (a three way) didn't turn the light on, and I can't turn it on via the C4 interface...

-The doorbell rang and the tv didn't show the camera via the C4 interface or Touchscreens.

Yeah, all of these have happened when the c4 system is taken down (usually for upgrade) or hiccups.  Not often, but if I shut down the C4 system, guaranteed my wife or daughters would say these things.

You've managed to prove the point here that all this automation crap is not really helping your family life.  Decades of households managed without it and, instead, argued about where to go on vacation.  Zaphod has a different line to pitch but I don't know if we agree with him just yet.  Here, you have situations where stand-alone devices could serve just fine.  Remove the "webbing" so to speak, and the dam breaks.  Every single one of your bullet points can be addressed with Amazon junk.  All of it.

Wap, just curious what do you do for a living? You seem to have all the answers about home automation, DRM, media management. Just curious your background.

International playboy and professional Mini driver...

You've managed to prove the point here that all this automation crap is not really helping your family life.  Decades of households managed without it and, instead, argued about where to go on vacation.  Zaphod has a different line to pitch but I don't know if we agree with him just yet.  Here, you have situations where stand-alone devices could serve just fine.  Remove the "webbing" so to speak, and the dam breaks.  Every single one of your bullet points can be addressed with Amazon junk.  All of it.

And yet C4 still exists along with an entire industry of HA dealers...

And yes, all those bullet points can be taken care of without C4 with separate apps, heck I can control my tv and receiver with 2 remotes too.  It is about convenience and automation, but we get used to it and learn to depend on it.

Go without a cell phone for a week, heck a day...  That was my point. 

We all managed fine sticking a key in the door of our car, unlocking it, then leaning over and unlocking the other doors.

Putting a key in the ignition, moving the seat with levers the windows with winders.

Then car automation came along. The key knew it was you. Adjusted the mirrors and the seat and the radio station and could stay in YIUR pocket.

The closes infrastructure of the car is more easily automated. A home should be doing the same but your home does not have a bmw lock, window, chair, radio etc.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

I spend my entire working day interacting with computers that send up false alarms/break/ and then I try to find the information I need simply and efficiently amongst all the carry on...

Then I go home and do exactly that again, within my girl household with HA/DRM and media management.....

:)

Hurray!!! Thanks for starting this thread...

Lets get some fight back in the old dog and product

I mean fark!

....it's been so morbid and dead around here...

....it's like ol SJ has been seen lurking around as the Grim Reaper or something..

Geez... the product's not finished yet (if they'd only listen to some of the comments around here and play their cards correctly)... 

Surely there is life in the ol dog yet?

Step one. Release pro immediately to all that want it

Step two. Immediately release 2.6 beta to the customer fan base.

Step three. Dump flash. Open up software development to the web. The freelancers of this world.

Step four. Hold an urgent open conference for all developers, dealers, and like minded fanbase users. Hold it in California. Right under Apples nose. Spruik it as loud as you can.

Step five. Throw massive R&D at the product in house. Poach Apple nerds/Google nerds right from their nests/...whatever it takes.. Give em huge C4 stock plans in their contracts.

Step six. Make the product groovy again.. hand it out free on IT campuses/in girls schools/skateboard parks/at Club411... Get it's Mojo back...

Step seven. Take the media barons and Apple to court and fight them over content DRM: arguing it is limiting the freedom of speech, it's anticompetitve behaviour and it is thwarting the dissemination of truthful information. Law suits should be being filed right now. Expert Attorneys in this field of law on the plane to C4HQ as we speak...  

Step eight. Pull all the media control and search and management thereof into the one C4 GUI/space with realtime search of the web right across the entire platform... co-ordinating output control via all the 7000 third party drivers.. 

Step 9. Start a C4 HA academy. Award scholarships to young undergrads at MIT, Berkley IT departments.. wherever you can... get em using and writing for the platform..

Step 10. Pull all the third party apps and driver websites under the one C4 app store. So end users can get an app up and running on their touchscreens and iphones, or drivers on their systems in 2 seconds flat after paying via paypal..Take em over if you have to. Follow the Apple app development model to the core..

Anyway. Seriously. Kinda goes to the core again I guess.. 

Earth to Control4. You just can't develop a cutting edge IT product like this and launch it into peoples homes and lives and expect to ultra manage it's outcome like it's some sort of secret NASA or CIA project or something..

You gotta share the luv. Open it up, and get intelligent folks using it and giving you direct feedback...... 

Stop being "Control" freaks yourselves... 

Control4 needs to "lighten up"... And lighten up fast....

Archived