C4 Forums | Control4

Job Titles (semi-off topic..)

I feel that home theater techs fall into a huge grey area between Electricians, and IT techs. What are your thoughts on how we're classified? The main reason I'm asking, is because I know a few techs that are paid a salaried wage, and according to things I've read online, salaried IT techs can't make less than the equivilant of $27.xx/hr. I would imagine that we fall somewhere closer to IT, in the sense that we set up, maintain, and troublshoot networking equipment, but I'm not sure if that's enough to be classified as such, and ultimately ask for a raise, etc.

What do you guys/gals think?

You can put all the labels you like.  As a business owner if you aren't making me money then you aren't worth what I'm paying you.  Each individual has their own value.  Our business also does IT support and they are not nearly the same thing.

It's a matter of what are you worth and can I bill you at a rate that makes me money.

Well, "Electrician" is a pretty well-defined title, and implies certification and licensing.

Unless you're also high-voltage licensed, you're not that.  :)

I personally think that it doesn't much matter how you're classified, if you're satisfied with what you're making.  Maybe a more valid question (but probably not for here) is how much comparable installers in your part of the country are making.

RyanE

I feel that home theater techs fall into a huge grey area between Electricians, and IT techs. What are your thoughts on how we're classified? The main reason I'm asking, is because I know a few techs that are paid a salaried wage, and according to things I've read online, salaried IT techs can't make less than the equivilant of $27.xx/hr. I would imagine that we fall somewhere closer to IT, in the sense that we set up, maintain, and troublshoot networking equipment, but I'm not sure if that's enough to be classified as such, and ultimately ask for a raise, etc.

I will give you some honest advice. It will likely anger many people here since they are on this path and can't see clearly or simply refuse to see. Go back to school and get an engineering degree or become an electrician. This job might pay the bills for now, but it is definitely a deadend career for you as devices become smarter your services will not be required and you will end up living in a cardboard box under an underpass. I'm not trying to be mean, I don't want you waking up at 50 without job prospects. I have seen this happen to several of my friends over the years. It was always technology advancement that made their training and jobs obsolete. HA is at that inflection point.

I will give you some honest advice. It will likely anger many people here since they are on this path and can't see clearly or simply refuse to see. Go back to school and get an engineering degree or become an electrician. This job might pay the bills for now, but it is definitely a deadend career for you as devices become smarter your services will not be required and you will end up living in a cardboard box under an underpass. I'm not trying to be mean, I don't want you waking up at 50 without job prospects. I have seen this happen to several of my friends over the years. It was always technology advancement that made their training and jobs obsolete. HA is at that inflection point.

I agree with qVAMPIREp, great advice!  If you are interested in electrical, it would be a good choice.  There is a definite lack of younger people joining the trades leaving Electrical Contractors short handed.  You have to start at the bottom and pay your dues, but in time, you can get licensed and command a decent salary. 

I must say it amazes me that in the US it takes longer and more experience to become a Plumber or an Electrician than it does to become a Dr or a Pilot.  That is some pretty crazy job protection built into the journeyman / apprentice program!

I would go for audio-visual technician.

Job Out Line

As an audio-visual technician you would install multimedia equipment, such as video, TV, sound equipment and lighting at venues like Homes, art galleries or schools. If you are interested in multimedia and like the idea of a practical hands on job, this could be the perfect career for you.

To do this job you will need to have excellent technical and IT skills. You will need good organisational skills, be able to work under pressure and to meet deadlines.

Then you could have a Manger, Senior, Trainee etc. 

IT Tech in and of itself is a broad term. For $27/hr you're probably talking entry level on the enterprise side but then again, enterprise techs are dealing with things on a much larger scale. They aren't dropping linksys hubs in (the field services folks do that). They're worried about routing, spanning tree recalcs, managing thousands of devices, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This industry has very strong roots in the AV field. But I would submit going forward it is far more useful and relevant to have IT, networking, software development and related skills, qualifications and certifications and you will find alignment with the direction most AV and other automation gear is heading.

Guess I'll start picking out my overpass to live under...

To the OP, I'd like to add to this that if you wake up everyday and love what you do, then keep doing what you're doing and pushing the limits. There are plenty of dealers that have developed a very successful business. Perhaps in the future, you'll purchase the company from your employer or decide to start your own dealership. Either way, focus on what makes you happy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I will give you some honest advice.

This job might pay the bills for now, but it is definitely a deadend career for you as devices become smarter your services will not be required and you will end up living in a cardboard box under an underpass.

I've heard this same "honest advice" for 20 years now.

qVAMPIREp doesn't know anything more about the future than you do.  First it was "IP Networks" that was going to obsolete installer-based Home Automation, then DLNA, then HomePlug, then PnP, and now it's Apple and Google and DIY.  I've probably got some of those in the wrong order, but I'm also missing probably 20-30 other things that were going to eliminate installer-based HA.

Yes, the market is changing, but it's *always* changing.  It always has, and it always will.  It's true, if you choose a narrow focus, you could become obsoleted, but the 'big new thing' is typically something you can learn.

The best advice is to get very good at whatever it is you choose to do.  Don't listen to the fear-mongers and naysayers, get good at something, and be flexible when the big changes happen.

RyanE

The best advice is to get very good at whatever it is you choose to do. Don't listen to the fear-mongers and naysayers, get good at something, and be flexible when the big changes happen.

RyanE

Actually you should listen to the fear-mongers and the happy go lucky types and find the middle. The middle is most likely where things will end up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've heard this same "honest advice" for 20 years now.

qVAMPIREp doesn't know anything more about the future than you do.  First it was "IP Networks" that was going to obsolete installer-based Home Automation, then DLNA, then HomePlug, then PnP, and now it's Apple and Google and DIY.  I've probably got some of those in the wrong order, but I'm also missing probably 20-30 other things that were going to eliminate installer-based HA.

Yes, the market is changing, but it's *always* changing.  It always has, and it always will.  It's true, if you choose a narrow focus, you could become obsoleted, but the 'big new thing' is typically something you can learn.

The best advice is to get very good at whatever it is you choose to do.  Don't listen to the fear-mongers and naysayers, get good at something, and be flexible when the big changes happen.

RyanE

I stand by my advice. Education is the only way out, having skills such as plugging in HDMI cables, configuring A/V equipment will become obsolete sooner than later. Let's take a trip down memory lane shall we... Do you recognize yourself in these jobs?

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-30-jobs-that-are-disappearing-fastest-in-america-2012-2?op=1

with technology getting better....and people getting dumber....i feel secure, very small percentage are interested in doing this stuff themselves...or anything remotely like it

True, but there is a finite number of dumb or tech lazy people with money, and a WAY larger number of smart people with money that like the support of a Dealer, but want to be able the learn and experiment with their hardware (Engineers, IT, Techies etc.)

ive only had 1 customer actually use HE....i was happy to show him this site and also get him started on his own programming, i didnt mind helping at all, and it was a fun process, plus he caught on very quickly.............all the rest, well ....had no interest when i mentioned it

I also have only ever had 1 customer who actually uses HE.  This community here is so much different than our overall customer base (that is NOT a bad thing.  If i thought it was I wouldn't hang around here).  We have a good handful of people who want to be "involved" in the design/install, which is honestly awesome.  We can end up trying some really fun stuff at their houses, and those people have turned into our guinea pigs of sorts for new stuff.  For the most part though, people just want it to work when we are done, then they hand us a check.  

I also have only ever had 1 customer who actually uses HE.  This community here is so much different than our overall customer base (that is NOT a bad thing.  If i thought it was I wouldn't hang around here).  We have a good handful of people who want to be "involved" in the design/install, which is honestly awesome.  We can end up trying some really fun stuff at their houses, and those people have turned into our guinea pigs of sorts for new stuff.  For the most part though, people just want it to work when we are done, then they hand us a check.

Most of us would like to play around ourselves and get help when needed from a Dealer. There are so many possibilities but no opportunities for us.

Archived