C4 Forums | Control4

A good RGB LED Control solution for Control4 is there

OK dumb question what is a proprietary connector? I actually like the look of the light other than the color. I can probably get them painted black. I just want to know will this work for what I want to do as stated in the previous message. I did look at the color kinetics from Phillips but I just can't afford $550 per light.

OK dumb question what is a proprietary connector? I actually like the look of the light other than the color. I can probably get them painted black. I just want to know will this work for what I want to do as stated in the previous message. I did look at the color kinetics from Phillips but I just can't afford $550 per light.

The light connects to the back box by an Ethernet style connector carrying the rgbw+ signals in 5 of the 8 cables.

The dmx is Ethernet cabled. The power is 110v.

They may be able to provide in black if you need enough.

7 minutes ago, SMHarman said:

The light connects to the back box by an Ethernet style connector carrying the rgbw+ signals in 5 of the 8 cables.

The dmx is Ethernet cabled. The power is 110v.

They may be able to provide in black if you need enough.

yep, this is annoying. however, they will provide (im happy to share) the specs for these connectors. as long as you can maintain 700mA constant current, you can extend this. 

yep, this is annoying. however, they will provide (im happy to share) the specs for these connectors. as long as you can maintain 700mA constant current, you can extend this. 

Though they check every electrical code compliance. Great if building in NYC or Chicago for example

uggghhhh.... chicago building code..... you're giving me shivers

Ya know, living in a NYC brownstone and seeing the crap some people do during construction I have a new found respect for the desires of the controls / codes to keep me safe from my neighbours.

• 2 weeks later...

For those interested, we've put some new low-voltage RGBW Ceiling Lights on the Houselogix marketplace, we found many people are looking for this kind of fixture but they are pretty hard to find. Right now there is two models for sell but we'll add more on request.

https://www.houselogix.com/shop/24w-rgbw-ceiling-downlight-dmx-compatible

https://www.houselogix.com/shop/40w-rgbw-ceiling-downlight-dmx-compatible

14 hours ago, jackstone said:

For those interested, we've put some new low-voltage RGBW Ceiling Lights on the Houselogix marketplace, we found many people are looking for this kind of fixture but they are pretty hard to find. Right now there is two models for sell but we'll add more on request.

https://www.houselogix.com/shop/24w-rgbw-ceiling-downlight-dmx-compatible

https://www.houselogix.com/shop/40w-rgbw-ceiling-downlight-dmx-compatible

Is this just a bulb or is the housing included?  Also, do you have to dimensions?

On ‎2016‎-‎05‎-‎13 at 11:40 PM, cybuch said:

Is this just a bulb or is the housing included?  Also, do you have to dimensions?

It's not bulb, it's ceillings lights that work natively on low voltage (24v). It's not a straight swap from 120v halogen but it's a very smart choice for a new home, you just need to plan the proper wiring and you can get a low voltage centralized system power by C4 for about 30% of the C4's own centralized system + 120v LED fixtures, with a nice bonus of color changing capability.

It's not bulb, it's ceillings lights that work natively on low voltage (24v). It's not a straight swap from 120v halogen but it's a very smart choice for a new home, you just need to plan the proper wiring and you can get a low voltage centralized system power by C4 for about 30% of the C4's own centralized system + 120v LED fixtures, with a nice bonus of color changing capability.

You must make sure you properly engineer / calculate those 24 v loads though else you can have sole hefty currents running through the walls.

On April 28, 2016 at 9:52 AM, jackstone said:

The main challenge of having independent control on each lights is cabling, because each lights will need it's own cable. For RGB, it'll need 4 wires per lights and for RGBW, it's 5 wires.

You can also use landscape lights with built-in DMX, that way you'll have only to power the lights and run a DMX cable daisy-chained to each light.

As for the Control4 driver, our DMX solution can easily manage all lights together or separated. It include full Advanced Lighting Scene support or Group Dimmer driver that will make the control much easier using a standard slider on the touch screen. If you want to trigger cool effects that require each light to do something different (like a chase or a rainbow scrolling), then you will use the effect switch and you only have to turn it on to start the effect, it can also be bind to a keypad and you will control the effect just like any other light.

Would these landscape lights work http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/24V-RGBW-multi-color-LED-landscape_60269765932/showimage.html for independent control? If so what wire would you recommend? Has anyone ever purchased from alibaba?

1 hour ago, daveva said:

Would these landscape lights work http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/24V-RGBW-multi-color-LED-landscape_60269765932/showimage.html for independent control? If so what wire would you recommend? Has anyone ever purchased from alibaba?

Bying stuff on Alibaba is always at your own risk, we never know how the item will look like and how it will work, we are trying to put some tested RGBW spots on the Houselogix marketplace that we can guarantee they'll work with a DMX system, we could add a line of landscape lights on demand.

That being said, the RGB spot you're looking at SHOULD work BUT since there is nothing about the cabling and the signaling this light require, we can't garantee it'll work, your guess...

On a side note, you see the red line on the drawing, it's the 24v power line for the lights and it should use a pretty big cable gauge like 14 or 16, you can daisy-chain many lights on the power line as long as your power supply is powerful enought. The DC Color signal line carry only pwm signal for color and dimming control, very little current on this line so it can use smaller cable like 18 or 22, even a cat6 will work but we still recommend s small gauge stranded cable.

for best effect, you can even connect all lights color signal to a independant dmx decoder but still use a single power line, this way you will be able to produce very complex "disco" effect in the room.

• 2 weeks later...

@jackstone is it possible to create a chase effect with comma separated channel numbers?  I see how to do it with starting channel and ending channel. Here is basically what I am trying to do:  I have 12 RGBW bulbs in a row and I want to chase a color or white down the row.  I used 3 channel decoders (px24500), one for each bulb for RGB and then I put all the whites for the first 3 bulbs on a separate RGB controller.  Do I need to rewire my bulbs so they are all in a channel series?  Any help is greatly appreciated.

They are addressed as follows:

bulb 1 - (1,2,3,10)

bulb2 - (4,5,6,11)

bulb3 - (7,8,9,12)

bulb4 - (13,14,15,22)

bulb5 - (16,17,18,23)

bulb6 - (19,20,21,24)

etc...

Chasing with Comma Separated Random channel is not (yet) possible but you can achieve your goal using a simple trick:

For Color chasing, use the Advanced Chase effect with the RGB channel configured, enter 4 as the channel per fixture to have the white channel skipped.

For White chasing, use the Basic Chase Effect and set the first white channel with a step of 4, it should work.

1 hour ago, jackstone said:

Chasing with Comma Separated Random channel is not (yet) possible but you can achieve your goal using a simple trick:

For Color chasing, use the Advanced Chase effect with the RGB channel configured, enter 4 as the channel per fixture to have the white channel skipped.

For White chasing, use the Basic Chase Effect and set the first white channel with a step of 4, it should work.

Makes sense, but does that mean I need to change the way I addressed my bulbs?  do they need to be: bulb 1 (1,2,3,4), bulb2 (5,6,7,8), bulb3 (9,10,11,12), bulb4 (13,14,15,16), etc...

And do you guys plan on adding random channel chasing to the driver?

2 hours ago, cybuch said:

Makes sense, but does that mean I need to change the way I addressed my bulbs?  do they need to be: bulb 1 (1,2,3,4), bulb2 (5,6,7,8), bulb3 (9,10,11,12), bulb4 (13,14,15,16), etc...

And do you guys plan on adding random channel chasing to the driver?

Yes you may have to change the channels on the bulbs starting at channel 13.

As for adding the Comma Separated Random feature, we never had any request to do so, but people use it a lot with the Group Dimmer... So yes, we may add this to the Effect Switch if you wish.

Yes you may have to change the channels on the bulbs starting at channel 13.

As for adding the Comma Separated Random feature, we never had any request to do so, but people use it a lot with the Group Dimmer... So yes, we may add this to the Effect Switch if you wish.

That would be fantastic!  I also have some other lights in my landscape that I could use this with.  Please let me know if you add that feature.

On June 10, 2016 at 2:06 AM, cybuch said:

@jackstone, the file located here http://www.look4ideas.com/techstuff/dmxchart.pdf has an issue with channel 79.  Through me through a few hour loop today.  Not sure if you are the correct person to let know, but maybe you can get it corrected.  

you're saying channel 79 on the chart does not shows the right dip switches patern? 

This chart is not from me, i simply googled it and attach the link to help people.

you're saying channel 79 on the chart does not shows the right dip switches patern? 

This chart is not from me, i simply googled it and attach the link to help people.

Correct, channel 79 is incorrect.  I do appreciate the chart.