C4 Forums | Control4

music from USB

Hi all,

I have a 1TB drive that I have connected to the USB on my HC 800. All is good 400gigs+ of Music. Doing a scan its picking up 95% of the music and showing on the navigators. I have about 5% of local (to my country) music which has full MP3 tags is MP3 format and I can see or play with full details on any system. Somehow I have run the scan 2 days takes about half a day from scratch. I have even deleted the library and scanned from scratch. It doesn't seem to pick up that 5% of local music.

Any ideas????

Sent from my Venue 8 Pro 5830 using Tapatalk

Not even a basic or desired feature? :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey I'm just the messenger here. There's changes afoot, but those won't magically be implemented in 'the next' release. Just don't want people to see 2.6 as the 'end-all' release - if some info leaks out on certain new features, that still doesn't mean EVERYTHING gets those features RIGHT AWAY.

I guess it is what it is, I just find it appalling and completely unacceptable that the most basic feature is not available. It's kind of building a car with no steering wheel.... I guess there is no point in complaining and like most other things in C4 one should just be disappointed and carry on paying. I know I sound negative but I really love this product but things like this just make me disappointed. I had to explain to friends on the weekend that I had configured things incorrectly as they couldn't find the search during a party. Only to find out there is none. Maybe in 3.2.4.1 we will get it.

Sent from my Windows Phone 8.1

More like a car without power steering really.

Unlike what Jackal said, C4 WAS created to do music - but it was created when MP3 etc were done by ripping cd's directly and it's library/database was built around that, not around people buying individual songs and thousands upon thousands of them (let's just assume people are buying). I'm not one to argue that it's not long overdue for a revamp, though the argument most people just create some playlists or use 'radio' services like Rhapsody/Napster these days anyway and don't search for songs etc often isn't completely wrong either.

I use radio services heavily but there are a few things to consider. 1. The whole world does not exist in the USA with cheap bandwidth and huge speeds, the rest of the world exists to and that has expensive bandwidth and some places the fastest speed one can get is 4mbits. / s. 2. Yes radio services are great but then integrate more than just one I love Rhapsody I use it in my BMW as well but its library of music is very limited esp when it comes to new new music and local music again not the typical USA or Europe artists. We can then go to the argument they built for 80% of their user base and I would agree that's a wize business decision but in reality search would be perfect

1) I'm not in the US and I never said I agreed with the sentiment, just that there is some value in that argument

2) Agreed. TuneIn is a start there, more is going to be possible, though it may be native or focus on 3rd party options - or both.

3) they built for 80% or neare to 95% when it was implemented - if you use JUST CDs searching by album name or artist or genre is plenty (not that you CAN jump through the alphabet). But that was then and I certainly agree that a more generic search option (ie keyword) would be a bonus if not a basic 'need' and has been for quite some time.

4) Playlist have always been done fairly easily via ComposerME (the free one) in a simple drag and drop manner - you can also create a queue on any graphic interface and save it as a playlist.

Mind you I'm not saying it's ideal at all - but most people were happy to just create 5-10 playlists based on music style or mood or function (Latin, Romance, Dinner party) and select those, randomize the songs and off you go. Many still are this day. Remember that the group here (myself very much included) likely does NOT feel that way, but most of my clients certainly do - recently had one that had a good point in this - He said he wanted automation, not advanced control - "make me a few mood buttons, set them for me, and that's all the button pressing I want to do"

And I totally understand the simplicity, I am just talking about practicality. It's the same or similar argument as (and this is going a little off topic but it is to illustrate my point) as organizations that block the use of any social media and or bringing your own device to work.

The reality is that the new generation of users, employees etc expect these features. I totally understand they built this for CD's and when they implemented it way back when this was ok but the reality is that in some area's they have kept up in others they haven't. For example they are introducing things like radio / music services an app store etc.

To me my choice of C4 was the way it could do "media" natively and the way it worked with media the other HA products were good at electronics with their BUS etc but had no linkage or intention on managing media.

There are some people that still buy music and have a big collection there of, I am a audiophile and have over 400gig's of legal music. If I could find something that would integrate into the navigators as well as the default media interface I would use it. I guess its hurry up and wait. I don't think this is a priority for them though.

I was told that Control4 wasn't designed for music 2 years ago, so I just switched to a different software.  I have the search feature built into the software, but it organizes it on artist, genre, album.  I can play all file formats, but I tried to get the driver made for Control4.  The third party developers didn't want to do it.  Oh,  you should see the voice video with Vox Commando. 

Which software do you use? Did you manage to find something that integrates into the C4 navigators?

While I think we could ponder the outcome of C4 Software update x.0 we will never know. C4 seem to be focus on different things of which I am sure they have spent a lot of money figuring out is the right thing or urgent thing to focus on. Native Music and or Media management doesn't seem to be one, even though they did an half baked approach with Cover Art and Song name searching.  We just have to accept the options that are available to us right now and have the lowest glimmer of hope they might mature into something at a later stage.

I don't want to make this yet another C4 bashing thread as I have seen a lot lately and IMO they doing a good job of doing that to themselves.

MS, Apple, Google will take a very long time to reach where C4 is in the market. Whilst C4 software from a useability or relevance to the current market trends is pretty much as good as bringing a stick to a gun fight, their over all architecture where it matters with regards to the physical side of things, lights, dimmers, ability to route media (not play media) etc has a pretty solid architecture. I have been on this platform since 1.7 and have seen that side of the platform mature in a excellent manner. I think IMO they stuck between the true hardcore HA world and being relevant in the internet of things. - Again my opinion.

I have no issues with the music, just quickly go through the alphabet - its very simple and works - Love the Album/Single Artwork.

Use My Movies to bring all the music in and play in FLAC.

Play list are simple to set up

Yeah for those technically minded it's pretty simple. For "normal" users it's different also how much music do you have for a few gigs it might be ok. For half a TB that scrolling becomes cumbersome ...

I don't understand what you mean by use My Movies to bring the music in??

One would need to question how many 'normal' users would have that much music. Again, I certainly agree it's a feature that makes nothing but sense to add. Mostly playing devil's advocate on the subject.

You right that amount of music is abnormal. I have created the play lists for now. This all came from a party I had on the weekend and had guests asking do you have this song or that song and not able to quickly search and check ;)

Archived