C4 Forums | Control4

Warranty on HC800

AP-123

One of my serial ports on my HC800 is bad.

My initiation date was 2 years ago today.  Had I known, I would have acted on this sooner.

I called my dealer and they said they'd send it in for me but that I'd have to wait for a replacement 4-6 weeks.  Is this normal?  Best case they would have one I could use until mine was fixed.

I'm also not convinced if I brought my unit to Magnolia, they would send it in for me.  It was 2 years ago today they initiated the director, but probably was purchased a week or more prior.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I would love to hear any feedback on how the warranty works.  

Is it a hard and fast 2 years or does that depend on the dealer.

Also is 4-6 weeks reasonable?  Do some dealers offer another working unit during the waiting period?

I have no experience but would welcome any thoughts.

Thank you

I'm also not convinced if I brought my unit to Magnolia, they would send it in for me.  It was 2 years ago today they initiated the director, but probably was purchased a week or more prior.

Wait, did anyone bother to actually CHECK if there's still warranty on there - it's about 5 minutes work for a dealer......

"initialisation date" has nothing to do with warranty, you may still be within the period to do this.

RMA is a week or less if stock is available, repair can take 4 weeks - slower if you're unwilling to pay for overnight shipping.

Wait, did anyone bother to actually CHECK if there's still warranty on there - it's about 5 minutes work for a dealer......

"initialisation date" has nothing to do with warranty, you may still be within the period to do this.

RMA is a week or less if stock is available, repair can take 4 weeks - slower if you're unwilling to pay for overnight shipping.

Certainly worth checking but if the controller was installed 2 years ago, it most certainly left C4's warehouse before that and is 100% out of warranty. 

Certainly worth checking but if the controller was installed 2 years ago, it most certainly left C4's warehouse before that and is 100% out of warranty.

When something left c4 warehouse is irrelevant. Truly the relevant date is the date on the invoice from the seller bit even then most firms on a product like this would have a window soon after the 2 years to reflect this is a product that is not used on day one.

Bit like a car dealer fixing something at 3 year's 1 month under warranty.

When something left c4 warehouse is irrelevant. Truly the relevant date is the date on the invoice from the seller bit even then most firms on a product like this would have a window soon after the 2 years to reflect this is a product that is not used on day one.

Bit like a car dealer fixing something at 3 year's 1 month under warranty.

See above post - but in fact the date it left C4 IS relevant. Control4 is not a car manufacturer and trust me any compasrison in reality will fail.

thanks everyone - very helpful.

I found a dealer that's willing to try and push this through under warranty.  being w/out a controller for the week i'm out of town shouldn't be too bad if they can make this happen.

Thanks agian

So if my dealer sells me a controller he has had in inventory for 6 months. Then it only has an 18m Or so warranty ?

Like I said - grace period. You 'may' have less than 24 Months in you example.

Also Control4 tends to dissuage anyone from carrying long-term inventory, in no small part by fast shipping turn-around and favourable shipping rates.

There ARE scenarios where you may be out of warranty before 2 years, however as OP hinted in last post, Control4 can be worked with in those circumstances.

Like I said - grace period. You 'may' have less than 24 Months in you example.

Also Control4 tends to dissuage anyone from carrying long-term inventory, in no small part by fast shipping turn-around and favourable shipping rates.

There ARE scenarios where you may be out of warranty before 2 years, however as OP hinted in last post, Control4 can be worked with in those circumstances.

Cy, that's good to know. Thankfully i haven't had to deal with many out of warranty issues. And yes, technically, the 2-year warranty begins when the product leaves C4's warehouse.

Cy, that's good to know. Thankfully i haven't had to deal with many out of warranty issues. And yes, technically, the 2-year warranty begins when the product leaves C4's warehouse.

No it doesn't.  As mentioned above there is a grace period that Control4 gives dealers, so you can buy something a dealer has had for a month or two and it will still carry a full two year warranty from Control4.  

Archived