C4 Forums | Control4

Spotify comes to Control4! (via the Rocki)

Do you guys have an API for 3rd party integration?

Not yet but we will be releasing the API later on this year. Right now we are focusing on growing our platform (Spotify Connect, Deezer, SoundCloud, FamilyStream and Last.FM implemented and more to come the coming months). Once our developers have more time, an API will be released.

Not yet but we will be releasing the API later on this year. Right now we are focusing on growing our platform (Spotify Connect, Deezer, SoundCloud, FamilyStream and Last.FM implemented and more to come the coming months). Once our developers have more time, an API will be released.

Awesome.  Let us know when the API is available and we'll integrate ROCKI into Control4.  Send us the info via our contact us page on our website when its ready (http://www.chowmain.co.nz).

^Ok. Update.

I now have this thing streaming direct via Spotify Connect (not just the airplay option) off my Spotify app on the iphone.

This thing's setup is not for the naive or faint hearted: Rocki developers need to do some work on this. (see my forum post please) ;)

Anyway...up and running (to a point) :) 

This is pretty darn cool..

I have Spotify running as the app on the iphone  flipping back and forth between the Rocki (and potentially to every hardwired zone out via the Control4 matrix) , a set of portable wireless NOC's speakers (with in built Spotify Connect), back to my iphone then onto the Spotify app on my mac (coming in future firmware) ... etc etc

So potentially I could add another piece of hifi like a Reciever or even higher quality sounding gear (control their inputs via Control4 if reqired) and stream it out to them as well if they had inbuilt Spotify Connect....(which many are adding right now) 

All without Sonos. Or Airplay.

Pretty darn cool

It doesn't do multiroom yet of course.. well not unless the gear links via the Matrix  :)

I wanted to like this and for some applications it sounds interesting, the price is right that's for sure. The issue is what happens when I'm out of wifi range at the back of the property? I loose my stream and my speakers are quiet. This doesn't happen with something like the Sonos that has the services built in.

How about when my phone rings and I need to close the Spotify app or what ever I'm streaming to go take the call?

There are some other options showing up in Kickstarter that are more like sonos but those obviously also are not ready for prime time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But it seems like the only reason you aren't using AirPlay is to make a point that you don't have to not because it wouldn't work...

I see some advantage of getting away from just using AirPlay, but I can see a lot of added complexity with all these different streaming services doing their own thing, then they break something that is only updated if you pay again, etc.

That being said, I am not going to worry if WMB or Sonos never adds these proprietary streaming methods.  I don't see enough of a point.

I wanted to like this and for some applications it sounds interesting, the price is right that's for sure. The issue is what happens when I'm out of wifi range at the back of the property? I loose my stream and my speakers are quiet. This doesn't happen with something like the Sonos that has the services built in.

Spotify Connect streams directly from the Spotify servers to ROCKI so your music won't stop when you walk outside of your wifi range.

But indeed, when your phone rings, your music won't stop. Both an advantage and a disadvantage... ;)

You got to get the big picture where this is going...

Can't ya all see...?

Spotify Connect will end up being imbedded into *everything*... Just like airplay...

It will wind up in the Autonomic Controls. The Fusion Research. Denon. Marantz. Phillips. It's already in NAD and Bluesound. It will be in Integra, Yamaha, Sony..... EVERYTHING

This is the best news the Custom Audio and the Hifi Industry has had in years because it puts a popular young audience and incredibly versatile music source straight into custom audio devices and hi end gear.. THIS IS WHY CONTROL4 NEEDS TO JUMP ON BOARD>> it gets the Custom AV industry out of the low margin clutches of Sonos.. 

But it's not just the iphone. Or Rocki specifically.

It;s about putting a grovvy SOURCE straight into the hi margin devices.. 

The Spotify OSX app will also eventually support Spotify connect.. its in beta and coming soon

Suddenly this app starts to behave just like the Sonos OSX app.. with every Connect "room" seen.. All syncing like Sonos with the iphone etc..

It's not there yet: but that is where this is heading..

The thing that makes it different from airplay is the Spotify App...

Its the Spotify experience that's the killer. They have left Apple for dead: The facebook friends, the playlists, the artists signed, the massive subscriber base..

This is why Sonos is so scarred of it all. You don;t need a specific "Zone player". It's all done in software and the embedded firmware in *other* third party devices. This IMHO is why there was the tif/taff about what parts of the Spotify app Sonos would support..

Spotify has the SUBSCRIBERS> This is what counts. It leaves Sonos just a dumb (not so hi quality) piece of low rez (junk) hardware... 

It's all about subscriber no's. Spotify is the world leader. They have all the young people..  

They are the new "Apple' when it comes to music.. 

THAT's the thing here..

:)

* LOL. Well then wait for all the other music streaming services that will come to Rocki... It's $49.95!

Price of 2 packets of cigarettes here yet smaller than one of em..

I will warn you though. It's a bit tricky to set up. I've got it going and updating, but it's a bit tricky.

Nothing impossible for someone who's been around a product like Control4 a while though..   :)

What percentage of their user base actually pays for the service these days?  Just like cord cutters, somebody eventually has to pay the bills once the venture capital runs out or the Taylor Swift's of the world want to get paid for their work.

It's all about subscriber no's. Spotify is the world leader. They have all the young people..  

^ Over 15 Million now I believe Turls.. Biggest BY FAR of all the services I believe....

https://press.spotify.com/au/information/

This is part of what "Spotify Connect" is all about.. getting customers "to stick".. so the music industry can be supported...  

Because you are right.. free music services go nowhere for people like Taylor Swift..

But Don't forget none of the artist used to complain about radio being effectively "free" for consumers did they? I guess that;s because it used to lead to CD sales. But CD sales are history. Maybe even itunes sales (in the long run). The industry needs to find a different model that fits. That is what Spotify is trying to do (with Connect) and their better "premium" service... 

• 2 weeks later...

What percentage of their user base actually pays for the service these days? Just like cord cutters, somebody eventually has to pay the bills once the venture capital runs out or the Taylor Swift's of the world want to get paid for their work.

Why I like Rhapsody. I understand their royalties are highest in the biz.

Archived