C4 Forums | Control4

Plex Movie App

I was wondering if anyone has set up a NAS with movies and used the Plex App? I wanted to know if once I connect it to my network if the 800 will recognize it & if it will show all the artwork on the screen.

Thank you for all the help, my dealer will purchase the software & DuneHD. I'm partial to the Plex so I'm hoping to still use the App

You will only be using the database. If you want a plex experience I recommend building a windows based plex home Theater machine rather than use a dune.

As such you will need two drivers to go with it.

Plex media server - http://www.chowmain.co.nz/plex-media-server

And

Plex home Theater - http://www.chowmain.co.nz/plex-home-theater

I have a Qnap TS451 NAS with the new QTS 4.2 beta OS running which now includes PLEX Home Theater inside the HD station bundle that connects directly to my "dumb" TV via matrix over HDMI.  I have PLEX media server installed on the NAS.  I get all cover art and the whole "PLEX" experience on the screens (not on any C4 navigators... but that's minor IMHO) and I do not need to purchase any PLEX C4 drivers. 

I'm currently ripping all my blurays to the NAS (over 400) and I'm amazed at how well PLEX and my Qnap NAS are working together inside my C4 environment.   My installer was so impressed that he will be replicating my set up at his home.

I have a Qnap TS451 NAS with the new QTS 4.2 beta OS running which now includes PLEX Home Theater inside the HD station bundle that connects directly to my "dumb" TV via matrix over HDMI.  I have PLEX media server installed on the NAS.  I get all cover art and the whole "PLEX" experience on the screens (not on any C4 navigators... but that's minor IMHO) and I do not need to purchase any PLEX C4 drivers. 

I'm currently ripping all my blurays to the NAS (over 400) and I'm amazed at how well PLEX and my Qnap NAS are working together inside my C4 environment.   My installer was so impressed that he will be replicating my set up at his home.

This is true though you can achieve basic one way functionality without our driver though the people who utilise our driver do so to achieve a nicer experience.

• Automatic Room On Airplay
  • Automatic Room Off on Screensaver
  • Automatic Dimming of lighting upon playback and ramping of lights upon pause/stop
  • Automatic Theater Room Setup - Eg select a movie on your Control4 Touchscreen and your projector turns on, screen lowers, lights dim, etc

Its actually one of our more popular drivers we sell and for good reason.

I've been using the Chowmain Plex drivers for a bit - Plex Home Theater driver is awesome!

The bad news:  The latest Plex Media Center driver will not work if you have security enabled.  And since we all should have security enabled, it's a non-starter for me.  The movie database on the Control4 simply will not populate as the Chowmain driver does not know how to provide the required authentication to Plex.  If you don't use Plex security, I believe the Chowmain driver does work, but I've never tried it without security. 

Hoping that there is development at Chowmain occurring to fix this issue.  Plex only released (parental) security recently, so they're forgiven for not supporting it on day one, but it's a must-have now.

I've been using the Chowmain Plex drivers for a bit - Plex Home Theater driver is awesome!

The bad news:  The latest Plex Media Center driver will not work if you have security enabled.  And since we all should have security enabled, it's a non-starter for me.  The movie database on the Control4 simply will not populate as the Chowmain driver does not know how to provide the required authentication to Plex.  If you don't use Plex security, I believe the Chowmain driver does work, but I've never tried it without security. 

Hoping that there is development at Chowmain occurring to fix this issue.  Plex only released (parental) security recently, so they're forgiven for not supporting it on day one, but it's a must-have now.

We're actually in the process of building HTTPS into the driver since the update.  Its a relatively easy implementation though most of the work is in testing.  If you're keen to test it contact us via our website and i'll forward you an early release.

Hi Alan, sorry - I was not clear - I should have said it does not work with Plex Home security enabled.

Link: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/sections/200641063-Plex-Home

It would be great if in a future update that could be addressed in some way.  

Unfortunately Control4's architecture doesn't allow for this kind of functionality to be implemented on its UI.  I'll keep it in mind though if said architecture is changed to allow for it.

We're actually in the process of building HTTPS into the driver since the update.  Its a relatively easy implementation though most of the work is in testing.  If you're keen to test it contact us via our website and i'll forward you an early release.

I created a support ticket and asked about this new driver, I would love to test it

I created a support ticket and asked about this new driver, I would love to test it

Hi,

You don't really need to try to contact us in 3 different methods (forum, contact us, ticket) but i appreciate your enthusiasm for the driver.  We have actually put the development on this update on hold whilst we put all our energy into progressing a HUGE driver that'll change the way Control4 handles media.

Hi,

You don't really need to try to contact us in 3 different methods (forum, contact us, ticket) but i appreciate your enthusiasm for the driver. We have actually put the development on this update on hold whilst we put all our energy into progressing a HUGE driver that'll change the way Control4 handles media.

That got my attention. :)

Hi,

You don't really need to try to contact us in 3 different methods (forum, contact us, ticket) but i appreciate your enthusiasm for the driver.  We have actually put the development on this update on hold whilst we put all our energy into progressing a HUGE driver that'll change the way Control4 handles media.

Alan can you expand on this?  I just bought a Oppo-103 to play media, and am looking for a media server.  IF this will handle this stuff it will affect my decision bigtime.  thanks!

Alan can you expand on this? I just bought a Oppo-103 to play media, and am looking for a media server. IF this will handle this stuff it will affect my decision bigtime. thanks!

We will be making an announcement in coming weeks so please stay tuned.

Archived