C4 Forums | Control4

Let's Be Honest; Who Here Actually Uses the OSD?

Using old controllers? - I beat that number by a nice multiplier, and I find the on-screen from my 250 and 800 faster than anything else.

Yes I have the 250 and 800. Still don't see the point in browsing my library through c4 to then have to launch xbmc to play it. Might as well browse in xbmc, where the interface is leagues above what c4 has.

Yes I have the 250 and 800. Still don't see the point in browsing my library through c4 to then have to launch xbmc to play it. Might as well browse in xbmc, where the interface is leagues above what c4 has.

I was commenting on the speed, not the use of XMBC. And as I mentioned, my library is numerous times what you mention and the onscreen loads as fast as I can change pages, including jumps to letters or numbers using the remote.

You're also 'assuming' everyone uses XMBC - or likes the interface all that much. Personally - my experience with XMBC on a library of the size I own is far from satisfactory and I returned to my original setup (though XMBC/Plex has certainly advanced since.

That's not withstanding that I'm aching for C4 to update their interface/database ability especially towards multi genres and TV episodes.

What size library do you have?

By the way, I don't think I 'assumed' everyone used xbmc. I was just commenting I did, but doesn't negate the fact c4 requires a 3rd party player. Would be nice if it had something native

Just tried it again, you're right its pretty responsive.  I think what I didn't like was that you didn't have many titles showing on the screen at once, even in list view.

I put 'assumed'  just like that instead of assumed because it was directed more to the statement you made than you personally, and because it would apply to all 'exterior' interfaces (ie Fusion or other dedicated options) - sorry if that came across wrong.

As for my library - I'd have to extensively count to be sure (and not a chance I'm doing that) but everything I have is direct iso rips from my Blurays and DVDs and I remove every .dvd extension if one is created - and I'm seeing 7948 files at the moment.

My inlaws use it when they come to stay... My kids never use it. My personal conclusion (probably wrong) was this was a generational thing. Youngsters would skip it and the older folk would find it more intuitive.

As an aside, without meaning to redirect from OPs question... one problem I have is that I have set up custome home screens and also have access control enabled. This is only enabled because I have outside touchscreens so I don't want people to access certain things from these (unfortunately access control is an all or nothing choice at present). With access control and a custom home page, every time you access the OSD from the red C4 button it shows the access control keypad. Not sure why as this does not happen on Touchscreens etc... I suspect it is because pressing the C4 button flips to this video input and pushes the red 4 in the left corner of the screen to get you to the home page... Great if you do not use custome home setup...

Does anyone know of a workaround for this bug? My current solution is to tell people to press cancel when the keypad appears... This works just fine but appears silly :-)

Depending on what screen you have (ie not the T3 series) you can lock those outside screens differently to prevent this (pop-up requiring a series of presses on the shortcut buttons).

There's not much to do beyond that because the press does a room change command (to make sure it goes to your appropriat room)

You'd create a pop-up without a time out or 'ok' button. Trigger that pop-up appropriately (likely on a running timer, or on screensaver, whatever you feel comfortable with).

From there you program the shortcut buttons to set variables and if pressed in the right order the last press would clear the pop-up. Depending on how complex tyou want the code to be this can be pretty involved by the way - a '2,3,4,1 is pretty simple, but a 3,4,2,3,1,4 is many times more complex.

Basic:

variable A, B and C, boolean

When 3 is pressed

If B is false

-If C is false

--Set A to true

--stop

set A to false

set b to false

set c to false

When 2 is pressed

IF a is true

-if C is false

--set B to true

--stop

set a to false

set b to false

set c to false

When 4 is pressed

IF a is true

-if b is true

--set c to true

--stop

set a to false

set b to false

set c to false

When 1 is pressed

IF a is tru

-if b is true

--if c is true

---clear popup {note: no stop command here!)

set a to false

set b to false

set c to false

I put 'assumed'  just like that instead of assumed because it was directed more to the statement you made than you personally, and because it would apply to all 'exterior' interfaces (ie Fusion or other dedicated options) - sorry if that came across wrong.

As for my library - I'd have to extensively count to be sure (and not a chance I'm doing that) but everything I have is direct iso rips from my Blurays and DVDs and I remove every .dvd extension if one is created - and I'm seeing 7948 files at the moment.

No worries.

That is Impressive library. If you kept the discs, can't imagine the storage taken up. I know my discs I ripped take about 6 50-60 gallon tubs. Just can't let them go quite yet. :)

No worries.

That is Impressive library. If you kept the discs, can't imagine the storage taken up. I know my discs I ripped take about 6 50-60 gallon tubs. Just can't let them go quite yet. :)

Older DVDs are by 80 in a storage case the size of a small loaf loaf of bread, that saves a LOT of space to say the least (even with 60 if them) - didn't keep the cases for those. Blurays are kept in their case and are stored in tubs like you do.

I'm usre there are a few less than the number I mentioned, i'm not claiming I may have missed a .dvd. file on occasion, and file number would at best be the number of discs, and some movies/series/mini series obviously take up more than one disc

You'd create a pop-up without a time out or 'ok' button. Trigger that pop-up appropriately (likely on a running timer, or on screensaver, whatever you feel comfortable with).

From there you program the shortcut buttons to set variables and if pressed in the right order the last press would clear the pop-up. Depending on how complex tyou want the code to be this can be pretty involved by the way - a '2,3,4,1 is pretty simple, but a 3,4,2,3,1,4 is many times more complex.

Basic:

variable A, B and C, boolean

When 3 is pressed

If B is false

-If C is false

--Set A to true

--stop

set A to false

set b to false

set c to false

When 2 is pressed

IF a is true

-if C is false

--set B to true

--stop

set a to false

set b to false

set c to false

When 4 is pressed

IF a is true

-if b is true

--set c to true

--stop

set a to false

set b to false

set c to false

When 1 is pressed

IF a is tru

-if b is true

--if c is true

---clear popup {note: no stop command here!)

set a to false

set b to false

set c to false

Thanks Cy! Very clever and so simple... That gives me ideas for lots of other things... Hope the new touchscreens ultimately end up with things equivalent to pop ups, screen savers, etc.

I use the OSD on the iPhones/iPads/Andriods but very very rarely on the TV, and if on the TV we're checking cameras or weather.  Use the touchscreens very little, mainly for security panel control or temp control if we're near one.  Otherwise, the mobile device apps are the quickest (in terms of reach) and are used the most.

I use the OSD on the iPhones/iPads/Andriods but very very rarely on the TV, and if on the TV we're checking cameras or weather. Use the touchscreens very little, mainly for security panel control or temp control if we're near one. Otherwise, the mobile device apps are the quickest (in terms of reach) and are used the most.

Osd is only available on TV. Hence the name on screen display. On iPhone it's the mobile app

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Osd is only available on TV. Hence the name on screen display. On iPhone it's the mobile app

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True.  I should have used a better term to describe how little the Navigator is used on my TV screens, as I've allowed "OSD" to become an interchangeable term to describe the Navigator experience.

I use it for Sonos, Rhapsody, TuneIn, cameras and movies all the time, as does the wife. 

I also show clients how to use it (OSD) first, as most people are visual learners. 

It really depends on the overall system and the client's needs. 

Archived