C4 Forums | Control4

Chowmain - Kodi Full (XBMC) Driver for Control4

alanchow

Alan,

does the latest driver (with Irusb support) allow direct access to Kodi or do you still have to run kodi as a launcher. The video storm driver has the ability for mini app access so in theory I think you can run any mini app directly?

9 hours ago, uddinz said:

Alan,

does the latest driver (with Irusb support) allow direct access to Kodi or do you still have to run kodi as a launcher. The video storm driver has the ability for mini app access so in theory I think you can run any mini app directly?

If you install the IRUSB then yes it will automatically launch Kodi when you select the driver.  It will also change to IRUSB commands when it detects that Kodi has quit allowing you to control the android box.

This amongst many other things is what makes Alan's driver so darn good and why you would pay for something rather than just use a free copy or another "free" different driver. It's all about useful exisiting features like this but more so about ongoing development and support of the driver. Alan has been around supporting third party devices like Kodi for years within the Control4 platform.

This platform would not be nearly as powerful as it now is without dealers and programmers like Alan. 

Anyway. I get so much sh!te frankly suggesting new things around here I have decided to take another break from this Forum for a while. 

I just wanted to throw my last 2c for a while that we all should pay for stuff and support dealers and driver coders who make the platform better.

Happy 2018!

Cheerio

• 1 month later...

Ok so after quite a bit of feedback from everyone i have modified the driver to include the following.

• Replacement of JSON-RPC based transport controls with IRUSB based controls if IRUSB is installed (this enables navigation of other apps whilst kodi is running).
  • Ability for Kodi to hide in the background and be called to the foreground upon media selection from navigator - enables you to use other apps like netflix, youtube, etc and also browse movies, tv shows, etc via navigator.
  • IRUSB mini drivers are now implemented in the driver.  This means you can now launch the android apps from navigator without using another driver

The driver is currently in beta so please PM me with your email address if you want to be part of this beta.  Looking at releasing this in the next week or so.

I knew i should have waited @alanchow. I literally just had my programmer install the Video Storm IRUSB/Shield driver YESTERDAY using the virtual switcher so I could get Nvidia Shield mini apps alongside the Kodi Full driver.

Now the decision of whether to try this beta, or stick with the Video Storm Driver.

I’m curious... do you ever sleep man? :)

6 minutes ago, elee532 said:

I knew i should have waited @alanchow. I literally just had my programmer install the Video Storm IRUSB/Shield driver YESTERDAY using the virtual switcher so I could get Nvidia Shield mini apps alongside the Kodi Full driver.

Now the decision of whether to try this beta, or stick with the Video Storm Driver.

I’m curious... do you ever sleep man? :)

I should really sleep less than i do as i'm way too far behind on my work.  Anyway i have now moved my IRUSB / shield from my work test bench to the main tv in my home so i'll know about problems alot quicker now that my family has to use it.

I actually quite like the fact that Kodi can run in the background and it will come to the foreground upon selection of movie / tv episode from navigator.  Makes for a nice solution.

1 hour ago, alanchow said:

Ok so after quite a bit of feedback from everyone i have modified the driver to include the following.

• Replacement of JSON-RPC based transport controls with IRUSB based controls if IRUSB is installed (this enables navigation of other apps whilst kodi is running).
  • Ability for Kodi to hide in the background and be called to the foreground upon media selection from navigator - enables you to use other apps like netflix, youtube, etc and also browse movies, tv shows, etc via navigator.
  • IRUSB mini drivers are now implemented in the driver.  This means you can now launch the android apps from navigator without using another driver

The driver is currently in beta so please PM me with your email address if you want to be part of this beta.  Looking at releasing this in the next week or so.

Can you get me a copy for beta?  Also what happens to someone like me who just bought the Kodi full driver and also the nvidia shield driver from you.  Seems the later is now duplicative

1 minute ago, Ilushka85 said:

Can you get me a copy for beta?  Also what happens to someone like me who just bought the Kodi full driver and also the nvidia shield driver from you.  Seems the later is now duplicative

We do offer refunds.  Just get your dealer to submit the request to driverCentral.

Send me your dealer's email contact details and i'll send through a copy.

Just now, Ilushka85 said:

@alanchow  I am running the beta driver.  Everything is good except.... if i have a mini driver like Amazon Video using this... after selecting watch-> Amazon Video the status on sr260 / t3 changes to show its using Kodi Control.  Can it keep its mini driver status?

That is intentional.  The mini drivers do not have any logic in them what so ever.  As such we revert back to the main driver after the app has launched.

On 2/21/2018 at 9:46 PM, alanchow said:

Our drivers never do that.  Anyway as mentioned it is designed to work that way.

Alan so I have been running it a bit with the shields now and experiencing a lot of stability issues.  Movie list comes up empty but kodi is up.  Old driver never happened. Sometimes other things seem to get stuck on shield now too

28 minutes ago, Ilushka85 said:

Alan so I have been running it a bit with the shields now and experiencing a lot of stability issues.  Movie list comes up empty but kodi is up.  Old driver never happened. Sometimes other things seem to get stuck on shield now too

There is actually no difference between the old driver and new driver for the Kodi portion of the driver.  Have you changed anything else?  We do have a beta version of the driver.  Not sure if your dealer has provided you with that.

Easiest way of telling if it is the old vs new is that the old version does not allow you to navigate other apps whilst Kodi is running in the background.

3 hours ago, Ilushka85 said:

Actually i have now replicated this.  Turns out when Kodi is in the background it doesn't like jumping screens.  I have updated the beta driver to fix this.

Also i have added the ability to automatically turn the room on when it detects audio.  This is great for things like chromecast when you cast to the Shield and the TV will automatically turn on for you.

Play/Pause/Stop/Skip Next/Skip Previous all work for cast.

On 3/5/2018 at 12:42 AM, Ilushka85 said:

@alanchow it seems to be working better but there is still a state i have when i turn on netflix via mini app and remote does not not control the system.  If i hit the original shield remote things start to work or if i hit room off and turn back on netflix via sr260 it works 

@alanchow any ideas ?

On 09/03/2018 at 12:02 AM, Ilushka85 said:

@alanchow any ideas ?

Shouldn’t be the case.  The driver now uses IRUSB commands for all transport controls.

Has worked fine for me in Netflix mini apps.

we should be releasing this soon.  I’ve been running this in my house and it has passed the wife test.

7 hours ago, alanchow said:

Shouldn’t be the case.  The driver now uses IRUSB commands for all transport controls.

Has worked fine for me in Netflix mini apps.

we should be releasing this soon.  I’ve been running this in my house and it has passed the wife test.

So the issue we have (I have 3 of these) is I turn on the room to Netflix.  It turns on. Remote(sr260) does nothing.  If I try to turn on another mini app it does nothing but then if I try couple times between mini apps Netflix is still up and remote starts to work.  

Other way to get it to work is turn room on off couple times.  Or hit nvidia shield remote. 

On 12/03/2018 at 12:22 AM, Ilushka85 said:

So the issue we have (I have 3 of these) is I turn on the room to Netflix.  It turns on. Remote(sr260) does nothing.  If I try to turn on another mini app it does nothing but then if I try couple times between mini apps Netflix is still up and remote starts to work.  

Other way to get it to work is turn room on off couple times.  Or hit nvidia shield remote. 

Doesn't really make sense.  You'll need to provide me with remote access to your system to troubleshoot.  Its probably best to communicate this via email.  Ask Matt to reach out to me to set all of this up.

Hi guys, and @alanchow

Sorry to hijack the subject, but I need some help; 

I´ve got the full driver and kodi 17.3 running on an Amazon Fire Tv. On my 4x4 matrix, the FTV is already on an input. 

Where/how do I make the video bindings  for KODI? Is there a virtual HDMI switch or something that I can connect both devices (FTV and Kodi) to one input on the matrix (since they are the same device)? 

Thanks in advanced 

3 hours ago, Wushi said:

Hi guys, and @alanchow

Sorry to hijack the subject, but I need some help; 

I´ve got the full driver and kodi 17.3 running on an Amazon Fire Tv. On my 4x4 matrix, the FTV is already on an input. 

Where/how do I make the video bindings  for KODI? Is there a virtual HDMI switch or something that I can connect both devices (FTV and Kodi) to one input on the matrix (since they are the same device)? 

Thanks in advanced 

You either need to use the Houselogix fire tv driver or purchase a videostorm IR USB dongle and use the built in IRUSB functionality.  The IRUSB is more rock solid, a quicker solution and will not break with future firmware updates.

Given what we know the firetv  IP control may break shortly if Amazon updates the firmware of older firetv devices to match the firetv 4k firmware.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.