C4 Forums | Control4

Question about movie integration

Froggy1976

Hi all,

I recently had my 2 new hc250 installed and programmed, thus far, more as a universal remote than anything, but expanding to lighting next week, then camera ( Hikvision), may be security if I can find a compatible third party driver for my generic system and then m sure I'll just keep finding something.

In the meantime, I would like some advice on integrating the kids movies which I currently have stored onto the Mac mini ( actually on a USB drive connected to the Mac mini). All movies bought legally thru iTunes and downloaded to Mac mini. I use the Apple TV to access movies under computer-movies and then play via home sharing.

Problem is that home sharing is hit and miss. Sometime I have to reset the Apple TV, the Mac or both and even at time, give up, so I have to redo load the movies the kids want to watch under purchased.

I was wondering if there s anything that I can do to have them integrated within c4 with minimal fuss.

I would love to simply go into movies and choose from the OSD and press play.

Is plea media server able to do so and if yes how.?

I looked up the search menu, but nothing really stood out. I know Apple are a bit difficult with their downloads and copy rights, but I m just hoping there s something and a driver out there that might so,Ve all of that.

Also, when I buy and download a new movie that it would automatically transfer over.

Hope to hear from you soon

Regards

That much issue in home sharing is generally an indication that you need to look at the networking - if it IS the networking, you'll find issues no matter what movie server option you use.

That said - there IS a driver that integrates iTunes and AppleTV - and is able to scan the movies in iTunes, load into the C4 interface and have you select it for play using AppleTV - old EV driver so it's now a free Control4 driver in the database.

Do note that I have little experience in using it as such, so cannot comment on reliability overly much (indeed only one client uses it - but I've heard no complaints).

Hi cyknight, we meet again..

Once again thank you for your post. I really appreciate your time, effort and advice..

I am not very patient and savy about networks. Too be honest it shits me to tears, hence why I have network issues. Where do I start to investigate network issues?

The install tech is coming tomorrow, so I love ask him how to do it and if he s heard of that driver.

Remember, I live In Australia, so not sure if the dealers or installers have as much access to info as their U.S. Counterparts.

I m not sure if it s relevant to network issues, but home sharing is the only problem I have around the home. I stream spotify and various other services and it never miss a bit.

It would be so great just to press 4 on the remote, choose watch movie and the kids just have to choose which one..

I lol definitely leet him know what I want and see what he says...

Regards

The itunes and AppleTV drivers are in the standard (online) database - a simple search of APPLE should find them. From there, it's a matter of setting up the minimac and an AppleTV on a static or reserved IP  and follow the driver's documentation tab in Composer - nothing your average dealer should have a particular problem with.

As for networking - internet streaming working fine is not an indication all is right. Where to start is a story of several pages, but the general first step is to ensure you have proper equipment - from there it's a matter of elimination. If you're not particularly familiar with networking - ask the dealer (no guarantee, but one can hope....)

Hi guys,

Thank you for the heads up and driver.

I talked to the installer and he reckons he can play around my network as to limit home sharing issue. He thinks that the current modem/router may be the cause and that I would be better off using only the current modem/router (netgear) as a modem only and then let my apple time capsule act as a router

In the meantime, I noticed that the hc250 has a USB port in the back. Doe this mean I can simply plug my USB storage device with all my movies stored on it then just play from there?

Any other info to simplify movie watching / selecting would be great.

What other solution can I get to simply, press watch on the remote, then all the movies appear on the c4 OSD.

Regards

Hi tokead,

Thanks for the input.

I thought as much.

Will probably go with plex as it seems there s a driver for it.

All movies being bought from iTunes, will there be any copy right issues?

Do I need to transcode them to a different format?

Regards

Hi tokead,

Thanks for the input.

I thought as much.

Will probably go with plex as it seems there s a driver for it.

All movies being bought from iTunes, will there be any copy right issues?

Do I need to transcode them to a different format?

Regards

You will need an apple TV (ATV) for iTunes purchases.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

i second the itunes and atv driver for being cheap and easy, but warn you if you have network issues, this driver is know to overload director and crash your controller.

Forgive me for getting a little technical, but why in general should a driver ever cause the C4 controller to crash?  As the C4 OS is based on the Linux kernel, shouldn't there be kernel level protection from drivers crashing the entire OS, such as protective memory to prevent segfaults? 

Unless C4 OS drivers run in 'kernel mode' and not 'user mode', I'd expect drivers not to be able to crash the OS.  Do you know how crashes typically happen?

crash is a rather wide term.

I've never had an issue with the ATV driver, and if it's related to bad networking ... it's ONLY due to bad networking.

Some drivers have been known to 'crash' director due to loop issues or other overload issues where the director process 'stalls' or 'freezes'. In some scenarios the OS protects itself by rebooting.

Archived