C4 Forums | Control4

DOOR STATION

Ahab

I had a Mobotix T-24 door station. The T-24 video integrated flawlessly with C4. I was able to get the video on all my TVs and touch screens. However, I could not integrate the audio/ intercom function with control4.  So, I had to use the Mobotix App or my SIP phone to use the intercom.

Anyway, my dealer recommended the Control4 Door Station. So, I replaced the T24 with the C4 Door station. He was wrong the C4 door station is a big disappointment.

The C4 door station does not provide continues video feed and does not integrate with the C4 GUI on TVs or even my IPADs since I'm running 2.5.3.

Is there any door station that fully integrates with C4?

I have Mobotix cameras but have been waiting years for their audio integration into C4.  2.7 now supports the SIP protocol i'm told.  We just need to get the Mototix driver written to enable the communication.  The T24 may still be your best choice, if the driver shows up soon and if you upgrade from 2.5.3 to 2.7 (which as a long time user I highly recommend).

>the C4 door station is a big disappointment.

I am very sorry the C4 Door Station was a disappointment to you.  Admittedly, it was a very tightly targeted product, often misunderstood by dealers, and therefore mispositioned.   

>The C4 door station does not provide continues video feed and does not integrate with the C4 GUI on TVs or even my IPADs since I'm running 2.5.3.

From the very beginning, it had a hardware limitation that allowed video ONLY through the Control4 intercom function, not even in the security camera area of Control4 Navigators.  This was a very painful limitation almost completely out of our control. 

>I have Mobotix cameras but have been waiting years 

Starting with release 2.5.3 Control4 released a very open and strong platform for supporting cameras. In addition to Axis, Panasonic, Channel Vision, Lilin, and others, that now have updated drivers, Control4 released a robust development kit with a very easy to use template and even a video showing how to write a camera driver (with some good Google skills and an experimental spirit, a driver can be written in minutes).  I know that Mobotix has a very robust and open API so a driver should be able to be written easily.  

>2.7 now supports the SIP protocol i'm told.  

Control4 has supported the SIP protocol from 2.3.  Starting in 2.7, a universal SIP driver allowing third party devices to be integrated with our SIP functionality was released and supported.  

>Is there any door station that fully integrates with C4?

Also starting in 2.7, third party SIP door stations started to be supported.  2N and Siedle drivers are now available and we are actively working on other partnerships, including Mobotix although we are not ready to announce any drivers/support yet.  

>for their audio integration into C4.  

Assuming their SIP is compatible with Control4, it is very likely this could be integrated also, although SIP integration is a little more complicated that security camera integration. 

if the driver shows up soon and if you upgrade from 2.5.3 to 2.7 (which as a long time user I highly recommend).

>However, I could not integrate the [T24] audio/ intercom function with control4.  

First step would be to attempt the Universal SIP driver already available.  After that a driver would be necessary.  

I realize the above may not be a perfect or complete answer, but perhaps it gives some help and hope.

-John-

John, can you please  clarify the your comment below.

>the C4 door station is a big disappointment.

I am very sorry the C4 Door Station was a disappointment to you.  Admittedly, it was a very tightly targeted product, often misunderstood by dealers, and therefore mispositioned.   

The Door Station has been one of the only weak spots in my home set up.

Within a few weeks I should be giving one of these a test drive:

http://eholovision.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=249&Itemid=290

There is a driver from houselogix:

https://www.houselogix.com/shop/holovision-vio-control4-driver

This is all rather new so not sure how many real world users are out there.  I'll gladly report back with my findings.  I like this door station model because:

1) its a real IP camera, on 24x7, can record on motion via my Blue Iris software, etc

2) the lens is adjustable 30 degrees left/right.  This way I can angle the lens so I can actually see who is standing at the door.  The current DS by c4 doesnt have a wide enough field of vision to allow me to see clearly who is at my door

3) has IR so will help in low light scenarios

I am hoping to have the hardware in 2-3 weeks, and once I sync up with my dealer for installation and testing I'll report back.  I am told the 400 series should play well with the C4 back boxes as they are almost identical in size and will have some retro fit options.

I checked measurements as did Holovision. The Holovision back box is like an inch bigger but they are making some bracket so they said I can make a small tweak to my c4 back box and it will work.

Different 400 series may have different boxes so your mileage may vary. I'll report on my findings and document as much as possible.

John, can you please  clarify the your comment below.

>It was a very tightly targeted product

Only intended for a Control4 intercom endpoint, not as a security camera, and not available remotely.

>often misunderstood by dealers, and therefore mispositioned.

That message often did not get to the dealers, or the dealers didn't understand the message, or they forgot to make sure customers understood that limitation.

>It was a very tightly targeted product

Only intended for a Control4 intercom endpoint, not as a security camera, and not available remotely.

>often misunderstood by dealers, and therefore mispositioned.

That message often did not get to the dealers, or the dealers didn't understand the message, or they forgot to make sure customers understood that limitation.

John, I think the point is that the marketplace perceive these as shortcomings in design and implementation, not as misinterpretations of intended purpose.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 years later...
On 8/17/2015 at 2:04 PM, eggzlot said:

The Door Station has been one of the only weak spots in my home set up.

Within a few weeks I should be giving one of these a test drive:

http://eholovision.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=249&Itemid=290

There is a driver from houselogix:

https://www.houselogix.com/shop/holovision-vio-control4-driver

This is all rather new so not sure how many real world users are out there.  I'll gladly report back with my findings.  I like this door station model because:

1) its a real IP camera, on 24x7, can record on motion via my Blue Iris software, etc

2) the lens is adjustable 30 degrees left/right.  This way I can angle the lens so I can actually see who is standing at the door.  The current DS by c4 doesnt have a wide enough field of vision to allow me to see clearly who is at my door

3) has IR so will help in low light scenarios

I am hoping to have the hardware in 2-3 weeks, and once I sync up with my dealer for installation and testing I'll report back.  I am told the 400 series should play well with the C4 back boxes as they are almost identical in size and will have some retro fit options.

Hello Eggzlot, 

How did your test with the eHoloVision control panel come out? We are currently about to install a Control4 home system, but I really don't like how their keypad gate unit looks (It's too tall, and way too modern.). I prefer the DoorKing 1812 style of discreet n classic.  But if forced to get something other than DoorKing, it  would be great to find out that eHoloVision's 1041-Ring or 732 worked well with that Control4 entertainment system.

Please let me know, if you are still around.  Thanks!

- Peter

https://www.eholovision.com/products/model-732/

http://www.eholovision.com/products/model-1041ring/

9 minutes ago, sonoma_vw said:

Hello Eggzlot, 

How did your test with the eHoloVision control panel come out? We are currently about to install a Control4 home system, but I really don't like how their keypad gate unit looks (It's too tall, and way too modern.). I prefer the DoorKing 1812 style of discreet n classic.  But if forced to get something other than DoorKing, it  would be great to find out that eHoloVision's 1041-Ring or 732 worked well with that Control4 entertainment system.

Please let me know, if you are still around.  Thanks!

- Peter

https://www.eholovision.com/products/model-732/

http://www.eholovision.com/products/model-1041ring/

Don’t quote me - but my two cents

1) the 1041ring model - that is based on the popular Ring device.  That does not work in C4, well not fully baked.  You cannot see the video on the touch panels.  Holovision is taking the Ring guts and putting their faceplate on it so the custom install world can sell it in a nicer format

2) the 732 model - you’ll have to see if they are still selling the 2n Helios Video Kit with it.  Long story (and technical) short - Holovision had their own SIP hardware called VIO.  Houselogix wrote a driver.  Houselogix went out of business, C4 updated their SIP big time around 2.7 or 2.8 and the old driver stopped working and no more support since Houselogix is out of business.  Holovision was great and sent me a 2n Helios kit to test, so I removed the VIO and rewired in the 2n Helios kit.

The results - it works when it works.  When my navigators are refreshed or the system is rebooted I need to enter some LUA code in Composer Home Edition. It’s a pain, but I am not cutting more brick in the front of my house and I agree the c4 solution is not my style.

So contact Holovision and see if they can sell the 732 with a “2n Helios Video Kit”.

Another idea - look at the 2n Helios lineup

https://www.2nusa.com/en_US/products/intercoms

Any of those work?  Out of the box they should work in c4

Doorbird also works in c4.  I believe Holovision has some customized Doorbird units so I dont see why these wouldn’t work

https://www.eholovision.com/solutions/doorbird-solutions/

Or look at some of these options that work in OS 3.1 and above

https://www.cepro.com/control/control4-snapav-ovrc-cedia-expo-2019-scaling-smart-home-industry/

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.