C4 Forums | Control4

Weather Underground Help

CT-Mike

So I worked with @AK1 yesterday to add some new capabilities and components to my system. Andrzej is great to work with and I highly recommend him for those looking for some remote help. 

Anyhow, he added the Weather Underground and Cumulus drivers but I am at a loss on how to use these. It appears I need to obtain an API for WU. On the WU website it appears that I need to throw up a web server to be able to get an API. I know my QNAP NAS can do this, but I have absolutely no idea how. 

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. 

Thanks,

Mike

So I was able to generate an API key and I put that into the system. Now it seems a dealer has to actually select the local PWS for me? I have emailed Andrzej with the info.

Strange that I can enter the key in Composer HE, but the tab to select a weather station is greyed out for me.

are you set long and Lat, there is a driver action that runs to populate that dropdown. you select from the dropdown your location and then it populates the grayed out fields.  No matter the version of composer you are using...

I have Lat and long entered, I did "Get Stations," but on Properties tab, next to "Driver information," "Stations retrieved - select one from list" is greyed out. Tried swapping Lat and Long with no luck. 

When I swap Lat and Long I get " No stations found"

I do have a negative sign in front of the longitude. I live in CT: -71.9823, 41.4258. Those are the coordinates I have entered. 

I might have figured part of it out. When I launch Composer HE, the following message box pops up:

Property Invalid

Error creating property: 'Weather Station: Station Selector' The exception thrown was: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

I have no idea what this means other than something is wrong with the weather station selection portion of the driver. 

I take it this is something a dealer will have to correct?

Thanks for all the help,

Mike

12 minutes ago, CT-Mike said:

I do have a negative sign in front of the longitude. I live in CT: -71.9823, 41.4258. Those are the coordinates I have entered. 

I might have figured part of it out. When I launch Composer HE, the following message box pops up:

Property Invalid

Error creating property: 'Weather Station: Station Selector' The exception thrown was: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

I have no idea what this means other than something is wrong with the weather station selection portion of the driver. 

I take it this is something a dealer will have to correct?

Thanks for all the help,

Mike

sorry, idk what that means either...

So now that C4 is pulling forecasts from the local weather station, how do I go about programming using data from WU?

I currently have two zones of heat and AC, a pellet stove, and radiant floor heat in the master bath integrated into my project. I would like to do some weather dependent HVAC programming, but have no idea how to go about doing this?

Thanks,

Mike

There are some variables attached to the weather underground "thermostat" that you can use in programming.  They appear when you press the expand button on the weather underground thermostat on the left (for events - when something changes) and right (for actions - you will use if statements) of Composer when programming.

I use precipitation changes to turn ON and OFF sprinkler system.. IF the last 2 days have any precip. sprinkler don't run.. NOTE I have a notification send when sprinklers are running to confirm sprinklers ran or not...

Also use temp changes to switch ac mode, heat or cool

precipiation.png

• 1 month later...
On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 0:47 PM, CT-Mike said:

So now that C4 is pulling forecasts from the local weather station, how do I go about programming using data from WU?

I currently have two zones of heat and AC, a pellet stove, and radiant floor heat in the master bath integrated into my project. I would like to do some weather dependent HVAC programming, but have no idea how to go about doing this?

Thanks,

Mike

Just wondering, what kind of pellet stove do you have, and how is it integrated into your project? 

@howieumd,

I have a Hampton GCI 60 pellet insert. I have a C4 t-stat wired up for a millivolt style system. Basically I bought a 24vac fan relay from an HVAC supply house, wired the coil of the relay to the stat, and the normally open contacts to the thermostat inputs on the pellet stove. Easy peasy once @Cyknight straightened me out with the diagram below. Works great, the only drawback I can see is the igniter will wear out faster as it will cycle more, but I figure that's a small price to pay considering I am burning a lot less pellets, and the stove will automatically run on a programmed schedule.

You do need to provide a 24vac supply to the stat, but that's easy enough to do.

Let me know if you have any other questions. 

Thermostat with Transformer.pdf

3 minutes ago, CT-Mike said:

@howieumd,

I have a Hampton GCI 60 pellet insert. I have a C4 t-stat wired up for a millivolt style system. Basically I bought a 24vac fan relay from an HVAC supply house, wired the coil of the relay to the stat, and the normally open contacts to the thermostat inputs on the pellet stove. Easy peasy once @Cyknight straightened me out with the diagram below. Works great, the only drawback I can see is the igniter will wear out faster as it will cycle more, but I figure that's a small price to pay considering I am burning a lot less pellets, and the stove will automatically run on a programmed schedule.

You do need to provide a 24vac supply to the stat, but that's easy enough to do.

Let me know if you have any other questions. 

Thermostat with Transformer.pdf

Thank you.  I'd love to set this up with mine.  The wife is always complaining that it's making the room too hot!  LOL.   I have a Harmon Accentra 52i Pellet Insert.  I wonder if it can be setup the same exact way.  @Cyknight, have you heard of anybody doing this with Harmon's?   Thank you both.

1 hour ago, howieumd said:

Thank you.  I'd love to set this up with mine.  The wife is always complaining that it's making the room too hot!  LOL.   I have a Harmon Accentra 52i Pellet Insert.  I wonder if it can be setup the same exact way.  @Cyknight, have you heard of anybody doing this with Harmon's?   Thank you both.

Not specifically, I briefly checked it's install manual, and doing this model might take quite some doing, as it seems you'd have to bypass the unit's own circuit board - but like I said, I just browsed.

1 hour ago, Cyknight said:

Not specifically, I briefly checked it's install manual, and doing this model might take quite some doing, as it seems you'd have to bypass the unit's own circuit board - but like I said, I just browsed.

Sounds like a lot of work, LOL.  I'm surprised they don't make them more easily adaptable to thermostats.  It's one of their newer models too.

• 4 months later...

So I am still struggling a bit with programming against the Weather Underground data. I would like to program my pellet stove/HVAC settings against outside air temperature. For example, if the forecast is for temps below a certain set point, turn on the pellet stove and set to 70 degrees F an hour or so before we get up in the morning. Something similar for the two AC zones and radiant floors in the master bath. 

Have you had your remote dealer look at your programming?  Kind of hard to know what the issue is without seeing a screenshot.  I know I have programmed successfully off of it, but it has been a while.  But somebody here might see something if I don't.

Indeed... I have programmed against rainfall values without a problem (basically I irrigate or don't based in rainfall in the last 24 hours). I also did this some months ago but am happy to comment on any screenshots.

I do have one problem though. Every time my controller reboots I have to re-select my Weather Underground station in Composer. If I don't do this, I get nonsense data. Does anyone have a work around for this?

Archived