C4 Forums | Control4

Performance Calculator

I'm trying to figure out how much I can add to my HC250, and the only calculator I can find is the one way back from 2.3. It's missing a lot of the new services, proxies, etc. I know the guidelines for EA series, but what about last gen?

Typing this reminds me of a couple controllers I've seen that are running WAY more than they should.

Running a full rack with 4 slave controllers is NOT ok for an HC250...

My 250 only started getting cranky on 2.7 with the new media proxy and a lot of music and also adding the Pandora driver.

Happy upgrade to the 800 no performance complaints from the missus. Sold the Sonos and 250 to pay for a chunk of the upgrade.

1 hour ago, SMHarman said:

My 250 only started getting cranky on 2.7 with the new media proxy and a lot of music and also adding the Pandora driver.

Happy upgrade to the 800 no performance complaints from the missus. Sold the Sonos and 250 to pay for a chunk of the upgrade.

I think keeping all my music services on Sonos keeps the load down a lot on my controller. Though as I start adding lighting and programming to go with it / my security panel I wonder how much I can run smoothly.

I think keeping all my music services on Sonos keeps the load down a lot on my controller. Though as I start adding lighting and programming to go with it / my security panel I wonder how much I can run smoothly.

The Sonos driver is big though.

My failure here was to have both the Sonos driver and the native. Double down on big drivers.

My HC-250 really started to buckle after updating to 2.8. I knew I was pushing it harder than it could happily handle, but figured I would update to a beefier controller once I hit the limits of the 250.

Adding a bunch of IP drivers was the final straw. At the point I moved up to an HC-800, the 250 was running the following in 10 different rooms:

• Fire TV IP driver
  • (3) TiVo IP drivers
  • Vera Lite IP driver
  • Grace Digital IP driver
  • Pandora
  • Fusion Research Ovation + Spotify IP driver (this thing is pretty big)
  • (2) Roku drivers

Plus about 2 dozen ZigBee devices. So - I was pretty impressed that it kept up for so long, but from looking at system stats you can clearly see that the IP drivers are a heavy burden on the 250's memory.

Looking at that, my system sounds like it will be fine. Just wanted to get an idea before I start adding programming events.

2 room project (plus zone 2 off amp)

• 2 rokus
  • 2 DirecTV IP
  • Vista 20
  • GC iTach for the vista
  • Sonos network and zoneplayer
  • couple remotes, couple lights

On 31 maj 2016 at 1:28 AM, funnyfarm299 said:

Looking at that, my system sounds like it will be fine. Just wanted to get an idea before I start adding programming events.

2 room project (plus zone 2 off amp)

• 2 rokus
  • 2 DirecTV IP
  • Vista 20
  • GC iTach for the vista
  • Sonos network and zoneplayer
  • couple remotes, couple lights

That sound pretty ideal for the 250, Don't worry. 

the performance calculators and contro4 recommendations are only a baseline to ensure the best quality service. if your controller starts to see performance issues, you could do a few things to help.

remove navigator

remove zigbee server.

even adding a new ea-1 can help unload the most taxing resources.

On 5/30/2016 at 2:08 PM, funnyfarm299 said:

I'm trying to figure out how much I can add to my HC250, and the only calculator I can find is the one way back from 2.3. It's missing a lot of the new services, proxies, etc. I know the guidelines for EA series, but what about last gen?

Here is my thread describing everything I have running on a single HC-250. I don't seem to have any noticeable lag or problems. It is running the latest OS and drivers including the new Dish MSP driver, Vista panel driver and Sonos driver. Since this thread I added another SR-250 (3 total).

Archived