C4 Forums | Control4

Popcorn Hour and MyMovies

wazza69

Hi,

I am considering C4 for my new build. I watch a lot of movies and use a Popcorn Hour A410. The interface on it is really poor compared to Kodi but I am very fussy on picture quality and the A410 is identical to my Cambridge Audio 751BD bluray player. 

I know that there is a driver for the Popcorn Hour for C4. I like the look of the MyMovies interface in the 2015 C4 update. Is it possible to link the two? i.e. selecting movies via the C4 Movies screens and have them play directly with the A410? Thereby avoiding the A410 interface completely. I could switch to a Dune streamer if that works better, it has the same video processing chip as the A410

Apologies if I have misunderstood

Thanks

Hi,

I am considering C4 for my new build. I watch a lot of movies and use a Popcorn Hour A410. The interface on it is really poor compared to Kodi but I am very fussy on picture quality and the A410 is identical to my Cambridge Audio 751BD bluray player. 

I know that there is a driver for the Popcorn Hour for C4. I like the look of the MyMovies interface in the 2015 C4 update. Is it possible to link the two? i.e. selecting movies via the C4 Movies screens and have them play directly with the A410? Thereby avoiding the A410 interface completely. I could switch to a Dune streamer if that works better, it has the same video processing chip as the A410

Apologies if I have misunderstood

Thanks

Yes it is I use the popbox. Never have to look at the interface.

Great! Thanks

How do you rate the C4 Movies interface. It looks good in the videos but the reality can be different in these sort of things

It's a perfectly good interface for locally stored content. First time content detection may need some tlc to get images and titles right.

To be honest with VUDU d2d / free2d I've been moving my local content to UV and VUDU. Cheaper than buying more storage and greater offline ease of use.

180 titles in my UV account now! When Kalidescape stabilised and comes down in price I see that as the alternative to local stored media. A used Alto at some point in the future will be priced competitively with a NAS upgrade.

I use it every day, and looks fine to me. Some boxes have fancier interfaces true, but for me the near identical look across touchscreen, onscreen and mobile apps is a huge plus.

The only 'problem' with C4's db is not the interface, it's getting all the info you want in there initially.

I should note by the way that I assume OP means the re-vamped C4 movie interface now showing up (by default) as My Movies on remotes and screens. There is ALSO a MyMovies integration driver (as in one word and meaning http://www.mymovies.dk/ ).

Both work well, and work together (indeed MyMovies/Colletion Management driver alleviates an a large part the issues with filling the C4 database with info)

And they dropped the pro install requirement in the last few months... I think from version 5.20 and up...

And in the mean time I decided that VUDU and Free2d is awesomeness in a box. $1 HD movies that I don't need to store and manage locally and anyone in my home can download to most any device themselves.

Can you do the same with a Oppo Bluray? i.e. use ether MyMovies or My Movies to select the file and have it automatically played by the streamer in the Oppo?

Thanks

I don't think so. The oppo api does not allow a command to play a particular file. The c4 driver needs that to work.

Archived