C4 Forums | Control4

Recommendations for camera system

Jbbrenner90

Question

15 answers to this question

Immediate red flag to me is they are selling you an analog camera system in 2017 when you pre wires cat6. 

Of course I cannot comment accurately on labor and how much actual work is involved but that seems high to me - for an analog system.

Luma isn't the cheapest stuff out there but it's feature laden and supported extremely well. 

Hikivion is a nice option that integrates well. 

Sadly it seems like a lot of surveillance stuff is coming out of different doors of the same factory in china these days. 

Where do you live out of curiosity? 

7 hours ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

We use Hikvision and for a DVR we use Blue Iris. 

Works like a dream.

Cameras are all IP 

What ones do you use and what do you recommend. I would like good clear quality cameras. Do not need PTZ just varifocal to be able to zoom. I know very little about cameras and PVR,DVR,NVR. What one do you recommend there and where should I get all this from?

2 hours ago, knowitall said:

Immediate red flag to me is they are selling you an analog camera system in 2017 when you pre wires cat6. 

Of course I cannot comment accurately on labor and how much actual work is involved but that seems high to me - for an analog system.

Luma isn't the cheapest stuff out there but it's feature laden and supported extremely well. 

Hikivion is a nice option that integrates well. 

Sadly it seems like a lot of surveillance stuff is coming out of different doors of the same factory in china these days. 

Where do you live out of curiosity? 

I live in South Dakota. 

Here is what my quote look likes.

Panelized lighting 41 loads 14 relays 22 keypad/dimmer locations-$17,000

the control 4 controller is the biggest one with remote is like $3,800

Garage door integration $450

Security System- $2,000

8 Zone Speaker System-$3,800 just the unit itself.

Lighting Motion Detectors I think $120 a piece.

This was the biggest items.

31 minutes ago, Jbbrenner90 said:

What ones do you use and what do you recommend. I would like good clear quality cameras. Do not need PTZ just varifocal to be able to zoom. I know very little about cameras and PVR,DVR,NVR. What one do you recommend there and where should I get all this from?

DAHUA  2.7mm ~12mm motorized lens 2MP WDR IR Eyeball Network Camera IPC-HDW5231R-Z  with Blue Iris NVR. 

Great camera with great sensor, zoom/multi focal at great price. And Blue Iris is the best. 

DAHUA  2.7mm ~12mm motorized lens 2MP WDR IR Eyeball Network Camera IPC-HDW5231R-Z  with Blue Iris NVR. 

Great camera with great sensor, zoom/multi focal at great price. And Blue Iris is the best. 

Or use the Greenfield solutions dahua drivers!

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

Hikvision and Dahua are in the same league. I have both and they are fine. The only issue with Hikvision is their firmware update process as you need to be very careful checking whether you have a Chinese or non Chinese model. You could otherwise brick your camera. 

You can either buy a dedicated branded NVR (ex Dahua or Hikvision for ex.). It is fine but it will most likely limit you to that same brand for the cameras. Blue Iris is a non proprietary software that runs on a computer. It gives you a lot of flexibility. Most people buy a i5 or i7 desktop with a big HD and run it there. Software costs 50 bucks or so and has become a standard on the market. 

There is a driver for Blue Iris on Control4 and there is good integration. 

I started with Hikvision but have transitioned to Dahua for new cams and all work well with Blue Iris. 

6 hours ago, msgreenf said:

Or use the Greenfield solutions dahua drivers!

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

Yes use this driver and buy the Brand New Dahua stuff I have for sale! Great price!

5 hours ago, msgreenf said:

This is my plan maybe a bad plan and if so would love to hear the feedback.

http://www.hikvision.com/us/Products_1_10505_i7573.html

http://www.hikvision.com/us/Products_1_10649_i8679.html

Camera placement may also be redundant be my first layout. Look forward to the input. Everyone has been extremely helpful!

image1-1.JPG

image2-1.JPG

Archived