C4 Forums | Control4

Control UI on my iPhone

Ok - My dealer finally got me an activation code.

Initial thoughts:

It's FAST! Seems faster than my MTS and room selection is much easier. I think I actually prefer it to the MTS.

Problems:

- Rhapsody is not supported

- iPort is not supported (i can control volume, add zones, fast forward, rewind, but NOT select playlists or see now playing or START the playing of music)

- "House" is not supported (WTF? The House icon is grayed out on screens where it should not be -namely, I can't control my garage doors from my iPhone)

- Cameras NOT supported - See above - can't get to them from the house icon UPDATE: fixed based on info from Sbutter below

- Loading the app is fast but getting everything to be operational takes a few seconds - way too slow if you wanted to turn something off as you walk out of a room - again MTS is the way to go for instant off or access to certain functions

So two big drawbacks for me are no iPort support (this may cause me to upgrade to the C4 iPod dock) and the status of my garage doors - I was hoping to be able to close and open them if I'm ever locked out or on a walk and standing outside. I guess I can still do it via 4sight or maybe even create some custom buttons to control them 'blindly' with no status confirmation.

Some screenshots in case you hadn't seen the many already posted:

jhfn9t.jpg

2wfiqs0.jpg

ControlUI is still going to be working on and updating the ControlUI application on the iPhone/iTouch.

I don't know if they're going to support the iPort / Control4 dock for iPod in the near future, but they've discussed adding the Rhapsody support.

RyanE

My House features work fine (sometimes they show up inactive but when I hit the button in works). In fact the other day I was able to see all my panasonic ip cameras as well as the IP cameras showing internet images (ie weather etc). I agree with your other points. I have a 7.5MB c4p file for my project so there is about a 30 second update for the initial load but once it is on it rocks, can browse videos etc.

The application I mainly use for is creating an "outside room" for which I made custom buttons for things I would do outside re: music lists, lighting scenes etc. plus if I forget to turn things off I can hit my wifi as I am leaving the house in my car. I have been impressed that the app also works while you are talking on the phone with a bluetooth headset (ie 3G and Wifi at the same time)

My House features work fine (sometimes they show up inactive but when I hit the button in works). In fact the other day I was able to see all my panasonic ip cameras as well as the IP cameras showing internet images (ie weather etc)....

Oh wow - that is promising! Maybe it will work for me in an update. I'm unable to access the house feature - grayed out or not. I even tried from multiple rooms. No luck on viewing my Panasonic cameras... :(

On your controlUI app go to config and hit update, you should see it then :)

I had high hopes, but that didn't work. It does update new changes as expected. i.e. I added some new custom buttons which showed up afterwards, but the home button is still grayed out for me. I would think there are plans for it to work or it would not have been included as part of the app.

Unrelated question, but I see a lot of people have cameras in the kids' rooms. I'm going to be bringing home our first in January, and would like to put one in his nursery. How do you acheive this without the "creep" factor of a big 'ol camera watching them all the time?

Unrelated question, but I see a lot of people have cameras in the kids' rooms. I'm going to be bringing home our first in January, and would like to put one in his nursery. How do you acheive this without the "creep" factor of a big 'ol camera watching them all the time?

Hahah - yeah, it's actually one of the selling features of C4 for my wife. It's extremely helpful to check in on the baby and make sure he's still sleeping, etc. It's great for our toddler too because we can see if she has stayed in bed, etc. I guess when they are in high school it may bother them ;) Once they're too old, I'll move the cameras to the back patio or garage. I would recommend spending some extra money for an infrared camera. You can't see much at night with my cameras.

Anybody know of a good infrared camera????

P.S. Congrats on the little one!

Congrats on the little one. Mount the camera up high, preferably on a corner or near other tall items (furniture pieces - if they don't block the room view) so it's not sticking out on its own and creep factor goes way down. Plus the baby won't be able to see it for several months anyway :)

Trust me, baby cams become extremely useful later on, with nannies and without. GL!

Brad, here is my solution to the garage door problem. I have a card access motion sensor in my garage that will not allow the doors to shut if the motion sensor is sensing motion (5 minute setting). This allows me to create a custom button on my iphone or scheduler without the risk that it will shut when my wife is pulling in. I did this because the kids are always leaving the doors open and this automatically shuts if no motion for 5 minutes. It also allows you to then use custom buttons on your iphone knowing that you are not going to crush a car or kid (of course make sure your sensors are working on the garage door in case the kids leave a scooter under it etc)

Archived