C4 Forums | Control4

Why are remote control buttons at a room level rather than device level?

zaphod

I never really did any programming on remote controls until recently and I was surprised to find that remote control buttons are a room concept.  Why is that?  Why couldn't you have multiple remote controls tied to the same room?  Isn't it more obvious to do the programming for pushing a button that is attached to the actual remote control rather than the room?

Eh?

59 minutes ago, zaphod said:

Why couldn't you have multiple remote controls tied to the same room?

I'm not sure I understand that part. If you mean why couldn't any and all remote controls work the same in the same room - that is exactly what room level command programming would accomplish (easily).

Not sure why it's surprising. Having it on the room allows you to do both global programming for a room and differentiate by device per room as required.

What do you mean by device? The remote? How would that work when you move a remote to a different room, or use a touchscreen, let alone a phone or other mobile device? Not to mention that it would not even be POSSIBLE to do that on mobile devices, or even native touchscreens for that matter.

Do you mean the 'source' ie the DVD player? What are you programming, lights to turn on when pause is pressed? So when you're watching that source in the living you want the Theatre lights to come on? Or put in line after line to track what room it is in? What if it's being used in more than one room?

I can see why it at first glance may seem counter intuitive to program the 'blue' button in a room vs on the remote or even on the device (although in a lot of instances that could be done as well if the source has two-way communication drivers which of course depends on the driver as WELL as the actual source device having the ability to do so), but it is in fact the more sensible way of doing it.

Hmm wait, do you perhaps  mean to say 'how would I/why can I not program something to only happen for this source, or have different programming for different sources'? That would be what IF statements are for.

When I want to tie programming to a six button keypad I tie the programming to that keypad in Composer.

But when I want to tie programming to the blue button on a remote you don't select the remote and do the programming there, you do it at the room level.  

Let's say I had two remotes in my kitchen and I wanted to use the blue button from remote A to bring down the blinds and use the blue button on remote B to play a Blues playlist of music.  Could I do that?  Or is there only one blue button allowed per room.

I guess it makes sense when you think of using these buttons from a Navigator on a phone or touchscreen.  I was thinking of it more in a Device-centric world rather than a room-centric paradigm where the buttons on all "remotes" for the same room act the same.

59 minutes ago, zaphod said:

Could I do that?  Or is there only one blue button allowed per room.

No - and here's why. Unless you start labelling each remote - if I go and swap the two of them around, you couldn't tell the difference. So how would you know which is which? There is no way to keep remotes singled out for the end user (easily).

1 hour ago, zaphod said:

I was thinking of it more in a Device-centric world rather than a room-centric paradigm where the buttons on all "remotes" for the same room act the same.

Which would be the opposite of how C4 works.

On 12/20/2017 at 7:45 AM, zaphod said:

When I want to tie programming to a six button keypad I tie the programming to that keypad in Composer.

But when I want to tie programming to the blue button on a remote you don't select the remote and do the programming there, you do it at the room level.  

Let's say I had two remotes in my kitchen and I wanted to use the blue button from remote A to bring down the blinds and use the blue button on remote B to play a Blues playlist of music.  Could I do that?  Or is there only one blue button allowed per room.

I guess it makes sense when you think of using these buttons from a Navigator on a phone or touchscreen.  I was thinking of it more in a Device-centric world rather than a room-centric paradigm where the buttons on all "remotes" for the same room act the same.

can you do a double tap on the remotes blue button to do the music? and a single for your blinds? Is that possible?  Then you wouldn't need two remotes...or is there another reason to have 2 remotes there?

3 hours ago, ecschnei said:

I'd just add voice control...pushing buttons is so 2017 tech...lol

I actually have Echo Dots in most rooms with TVs but I have found that remembering the Syntax for more complex commands  is difficult.  And FAF/WAF isn't good unless you can get them to sit through training sessions   :P

Can Alexa commands be room specific - ie can you say "Alexa TV on" and it would know to apply this command to the room where the Alexa command was received, or would you have to say "Alexa, kitchen TV on".  I generally have used the Epic driver.  I think it is the latter.

Just now, zaphod said:

I actually have Echo Dots in most rooms with TVs but I have found that remembering the Syntax for more complex commands  is difficult.  And FAF/WAF isn't good unless you can get them to sit through training sessions   :P

Can Alexa commands be room specific - ie can you say "Alexa TV on" and it would know to apply this command to the room where the Alexa command was received, or would you have to say "Alexa, kitchen TV on".  I generally have used the Epic driver.  I think it is the latter.

no they can't

With our driver (Epic Systems), you can get around the room thing by setting up each echo under a separate Amazon account, and adding an instance of the driver to the project for each Amazon account. That way the trigger phrases aren't shared across Echos and therefore each echo can have simple commands like "TV", "apple TV", lights, shades etc...

Can't do it with the c4 driver... Maybe thats what Mitch is referring to when he says no you can't?

Just another reason why our driver is worth its weight in gold!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

With our driver (Epic Systems), you can get around the room thing by setting up each echo under a separate Amazon account, and adding an instance of the driver to the project for each Amazon account. That way the trigger phrases aren't shared across Echos and therefore each echo can have simple commands like "TV", "apple TV", lights, shades etc...

Can't do it with the c4 driver... Maybe thats what Mitch is referring to when he says no you can't?

But I mean who has 8 Amazon accounts?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Anyone who has 8 spare minutes?

And 8 emails. And it's more then 8 minutes cause you to login and out of the Alexa app/site. Probably 15min of setup per room.

But fair points

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

We've done it for several clients. We have our own domain and can generate 8 emails in about 2 minutes. Use the Alexa browser interface instead of the mobile app and things go much faster as well.

Imho I would not be generating accounts for customers but to each their own

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

18 hours ago, chopedogg88 said:

Interesting - but I guess the downside to this is that any programming that you do for the Echo in C4 is unique to that specific Echo device.  So you can't use the same command across n Echos unless you do the programming n times, once for each Echo.  So it simplifies commands in each room but makes it trickier to do whole-house commands or at least have them the same from all Echos in a house.

Correct. You'd have to do those in each one. Of course it's not very difficult, just call a macro and you're done.

And I find that most of the whole home commands only get called from certain Echos (master bedroom and the one near the entry/exit in my experience)

Archived