C4 Forums | Control4

Programming off of audio sensing not working

C4CA

I have an audio matrix amp and have programmed a certain audio event to occur upon audio sensing and it’s not working..  however when I copy the programming and use the audio in off of the ea-5 For the audio sensing it works perfectly fine. 

Anyone have suggestions?

I have an audio matrix amp and have programmed a certain audio event to occur upon audio sensing and it’s not working..  however when I copy the programming and use the audio in off of the ea-5 For the audio sensing it works perfectly fine. 

Anyone have suggestions?
Post screenshot of programming

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

keep in mind audio sensing takes time to notice that there is audio and then select that input. if you are expecting to be listening to music on another input and ask alexa something and she just says ok that wont be enough likely for c4 to switch. 

if you are trying to get music from alexa to play into the amp the volume may be too low from the dot turn it up to the max and then control the volume with the amp

I tried turning the volume all the way up and also tried hooking up computer and playing music off it and no luck.

i can see the light on input in amp turn on when music turns on however it doesn’t execute script.

I tried the same thing off of the audio sensing from ea-5 and it works great, but need more inputs.

• 1 month later...

@C4CA @mrd176  

I use a C4 audio matrix and have successful audio sensing programming for the echo dot.  It works well.  I could paste my programming later but I may not have to.

I would program audio sensing for this matrix and the echo dot to work like an occupancy timer.  Create a 5 second timer and program a room off command when the matrix stops sensing audio.   Stop the timer when it starts sensing audio and select the echo dot as the source in the desired room.  I think whats happening is for some reason the matrix needs a room off command before any more programming related to audio sensing works again.

I'm sure you got this covered but make sure the default room volume is not at zero.

Like I said, this works for me.  Let me know how it goes.

Go into Agents.   Add/create a timer and name it Kitchen Echo Dot Timer.  Set it to 5 seconds or a little more.

Programming

Event - Matrix Amp Input 2 starts sensing audio

When audio starts being sensed on Audio Input 2 (echo dot)

--> Select Echo Dot as the audio source in the Kitchen

--> Stop Timer 'Kitchen Echo Dot Timer'

Event - Matrix Amp Input 2 stops sensing audio

When audio stops being sensed on Audio input 2

? If Room Kitchen Selected Audio Device is Echo Dot Kitchen

--> Start Timer 'Kitchen Echo Dot Timer'

Scroll down to the bottom and find the Timer you created

When timer 'Kitchen Echo Dot Timer' expires 

->  Turn off Kitchen

They key thing here is the expiring of the timer is what executes the action.  This is basically "occupancy timer" programming.  

2 hours ago, sonic30101 said:

I do when it stops sensing to start the timer (5 minutes in case there is a good pause or I take a quick phone call). And when the timer expires if the current source is the dot to turn the room off

The 5 minute timer is fine too as long as you STOP the timer when Audio Selection Changed or when turning the room off. If the timer keeps running and you decide to select another  audio source, the room will turn off undesirably when the timer expires.

This is where I think the struggle is...

If you forget to say Alexa Stop and then turn the room off,  the programming for echo dot audio sensing won't work again because it applies to only when audio STARTS sensing, not WHILE audio is sensing.  You would have to audibly say "alexa stop" and wait for 10 seconds of input silence (for the c4 matrix) before you can "wake" it up again using audio sensing programming.  The EA-5 is much faster at recognizing when audio starts and stops sensing.

FYI

I did a comparison in audio sensing response between the EA5 and the C4 matrix.  There is a world of a difference.  The biggest contrast  is when audio stops sensing.  The EA-5 takes  about 2 seconds (while observing the timer agent) and the C4 matrix takes about 10 seconds.  I was able to re-create the problem on a matrix by trying to execute audio sensing programming before a 10 second cycle had passed after the audio had been cut off (alexa stop).  The session wouldn't start.  No audio.  However, the session did start when the programming was executed AFTER 10 seconds of a silent input.   This is the reason why I use a short 5 second room off timer with an echo dot and a C4 matrix.  Its just the right amount of time for everyone in the house to tell/ask Alexa anything before it either turns the room off (expired timer) or plays amazon music, or executes a voice command macro.  There's a little bit of power saving on the matrix too.  The EA-5 is much quicker for audio sensing.  Until there is a way to program an "alexa stop" with another 3rd party driver, this is best method I've figured out.

I've also enhanced the audio sensing programming by blocking the echo dot from interrupting any current digital or analogue audio session until the room is turned off.  Alexa can be triggered a little too easily and it was interrupting all other music sessions too often.

On 2/23/2018 at 8:45 AM, dcovach said:

If you forget to say Alexa Stop and then turn the room off,  the programming for echo dot audio sensing won't work again because it applies to only when audio STARTS sensing, not WHILE audio is sensing.

I've seen similar issues when using Chrome Casts as well. Explained a different way - if a device never STOPS streaming (even if it is a 'dead' signal), programming against any 'start' won't work.

• 1 year later...
On 1/15/2018 at 6:13 PM, C4CA said:

Anyone have suggestions?

Anyone find a solution to this problem? Audio sensing from the C4 Matrix Amplifier isn't working. 
Same programming as the OP 

I'm trying to enable a zone off of music from an Alexa device, so the user doesn't have to have an extra command such as "Alexa, bedroom music ON".. 

Thanks in advanced  

Archived