C4 Forums | Control4

difference between ipad app and mobile touchpad

Nickh

Question

12 answers to this question

14 hours ago, msgreenf said:

Intercom and always on connection.

By putting the iPad in dedicated mode, don't you essentially negate the "always on" benefit? As someone who's planning on installing an iPad for this very purpose, I'd love to know if I'm wrong on this...don't want to be turning the iPad on overtime I come up to it. 

By putting the iPad in dedicated mode, don't you essentially negate the "always on" benefit? As someone who's planning on installing an iPad for this very purpose, I'd love to know if I'm wrong on this...don't want to be turning the iPad on overtime I come up to it. 
It's still slower

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Significantly slower! You either cough up a bit more for T3 and benefit from buying something thats built for its purpose or go down the tablet/phone route and (eventually) regret it imo. 

The cost difference is a no brainer, it used to be a BIG difference in price on the tablet vs touchscreen front.... which meant this argument had some footing... but not anymore.

I would say that dedicated mode certainly helps (forces the iPad to stay awake, and on the C4 app), however I would agree that its still not as fast as a T3.  The last time I checked (and it has been a year or so...), the app would sometimes take 3-5 seconds to reconnect to the director, even when in dedicated mode.  And you do need to click a button on the screen to wake up the app first.

Also, the batteries in the Ipads tend to fatten/swell over time when they are constantly charged.  I have a few customers now that we are replacing Ipads for because of this issue.  They have been installed in Iport wall mounts and are constantly charged.  That is the nature of the batteries over time.

Appreciate the feedback everyone. I was considering the iPad because we have an old iPad Air ready to "enter retirement" and using an old iPad is certainly a lot cheaper than a T3. 

Sounds like that may not be the best idea after all though. Looks like I had better throw the iPad on the counter for a test run, plugged in and in dedicated mode, before I even think about getting a wall mount to see if it's tolerable--saving money to get a poor user experience is definitely not worth it. Nice to hear the good reviews of the T3s from everyone though.  

11 minutes ago, rea said:

Sounds like that may not be the best idea after all though. Looks like I had better throw the iPad on the counter for a test run, plugged in and in dedicated mode, before I even think about getting a wall mount to see if it's tolerable--saving money to get a poor user experience is definitely not worth it. Nice to hear the good reviews of the T3s from everyone though.  

that is an excellent idea

Archived