C4 Forums | Control4

An alternative to DBX for your C4 Commercial Audio project: Denon Pro DN-508MX Matrix/Mixer, Driver now available!

Denon Professionnal DN-508MX driver for Control4

https://www.denonpro.com/products/view/dn-508mx

A good alternative to DBX ZonePro for your Control4 commercial audio projects!

We've just released a Control4 driver for this nice commercial audio mixer. If feature 5 stereo inputs, 8 zone output and 5 mixing Mic/Line inputs (all balanced or unbalanced). The driver integrate most of the matrix features in Control and take advantage of WebView to allow your customer to interact with the device Web Mixer right from the T3 touchscreen. So you get the best of both world! Control4 integration for keypad binding, easy volume and zone control and deeper mixer control through the Web Mixer.

And best of all... it's much cheaper than the DBX Zone Pro!

The driver is available at Houselogix: http://www.houselogix.com/shop/denon-pro-dn-508mx-control4-driver

DN-508MX_Front_Web.jpg

DN-508MX_Rear_Web.jpg

Denon_T3.png

• 2 months later...

It really look like a full screen web mixer, just like on the drive information page on the Houselogix website:

http://www.houselogix.com/shop/denon-pro-dn-508mx-control4-driver

As for functionality, it work OK but does not support "dragging" the slider, it's point and touch only, that's a limitation of the T3 touchscreen.

The driver also present the Denon Mixer as an audio Matrix in Control4 so it can be used for any programming.

• 4 months later...
On 7/24/2018 at 12:13 PM, LollerAgent said:

Ah!  I just used a DBX in a new install.  I'll have to take a look at the Denon for new projects.

Hello,

what zonepro pro model and driver did you use? I’m using the 640 with the houselogic driver and it doesn’t work property.. any advice will be really appreciated. 

Thanks

• 2 months later...

On 3/14/2019 at 6:27 PM, jackstone said:

Also since the Denon is often Back-ordered and out of stock, there will be soon something to integrate a similar unit by Rane, widely available at a pretty good price.

Any update on the Rane driver?  The Denon will probably work for my application but I am trying to learn more about it.  Does it allow mixing of sources to any output?  Can you mix stereo and mic inputs?

Thanks!

8 hours ago, indecision said:

Any update on the Rane driver?  The Denon will probably work for my application but I am trying to learn more about it.  Does it allow mixing of sources to any output?  Can you mix stereo and mic inputs?

Thanks!

The Rane driver is not done since we were finally able to gain access to some Denon inventory and after comparing both units, the Denon is much more functionnal than the Rane.

as for Mic mixing, the Denon does that anytime using the six mic input, to control it from C4, you will have to bind a fake room to one of the channel,of the mic mixing device (secondary audio matrix) in Composer and use this room's volume control to set the mic volume or mute it. It's odd to explain but once you see what it does, it make sense since the mic input appear in the zone audio menu. I will try to post some screenshots later on.

Thanks for the response.  I spoke with Denon this afternoon and unfortunately the tech support rep wasn't familiar with the product.  He said that it can not mix any of the sources...so I suggested they take the word mixer out of the product name 😁.  What he described was matrix functionality (which it clearly has). 

Here is my real world scenario...we are working on a training room with multiple sources.  Two microphones; a handheld mic for the attendees and a lapel mic for the presenter.  Am I correct that the Denon can mix the two microphones to one output so that they are both active at the same time?  Each of the microphones would be a separate input on the Denon.

But the more complicated item that I am curious about is if we can set it up so that they can play a video on the projection screen with analog audio as an input and still keep the two microphones active as well.  This would effectively be mixing three inputs to one output at the same time.  Is that possible?   

2 minutes ago, indecision said:

Thanks for the response.  I spoke with Denon this afternoon and unfortunately the tech support rep wasn't familiar with the product.  He said that it can not mix any of the sources...so I suggested they take the word mixer out of the product name 😁.  What he described was matrix functionality (which it clearly has). 

Here is my real world scenario...we are working on a training room with multiple sources.  Two microphones; a handheld mic for the attendees and a lapel mic for the presenter.  Am I correct that the Denon can mix the two microphones to one output so that they are both active at the same time?  Each of the microphones would be a separate input on the Denon.

But the more complicated item that I am curious about is if we can set it up so that they can play a video on the projection screen with analog audio as an input and still keep the two microphones active as well.  This would effectively be mixing three inputs to one output at the same time.  Is that possible?   

The Denon cannot mix sources, but there is 6 separate input for line/mic for each zone and those will mix with the zone source. So it is meant to have a single mic input per zone,  Check out the web control interface, it's very self explanatory. The C4 driver allow using this mixing input using a separated audio matrix proxy interface.

image.thumb.png.37b95b6aa7cb4fd53e3927d6f79a95f9.png

Sorry that I have been slow to get this but making more sense now.  So in Zone 1, Mic 1-6 will mix with whichever input that you choose in the drop down.  Input trim is controlled by the slider for "Source" and the microphone trim is controlled by the "Mic/Line" slider while overall volume is controlled by "Master".   So it looks like I could mix mic 1 and mic 2 with my video source input to have all 3 active at the same time as mentioned in my scenario above?

Thanks for the info but now I am confused again...what do you mean that the Control4 driver can only modulate the source or all mic/line mixed input?  I don't understand what you mean by "modulate".  I agree that all mics will mix to any zone.

So the driver can control all sources, volume and matrix, and in addition to that it can control the 6 Mic/Line input. As for the Mic/Line, those are not switchable, they are on all the time to all the zones, but you can control the volume they will output to each zone. So there will be 8 volume control (one for each zone) that will control the output to that zone of all Mic/Line inputs to that are always mixed together. So one volume for the source audio and one volume for the mic/line audio coming from any mic/line input.

Two volume control per zone: Audio and Mics for short.

I am about to release a new version of the driver that will do that properly using room binding, the customer will be able to control "mixing" using the room volume.

Hope this make sense.

that does make sense and it sounds like the driver has a lot of functionality.  I am going to order a 508mx for my install and I look forward to using the driver.  I was going to go with the DBX ZonePro but it sound like the mixing of sources wreaks havoc on the driver.  Thanks again.

On 6/19/2019 at 11:57 AM, JohnPro-Fit said:

So all of the mic's volume controls are together instead of mic 1 mixed with source 3 to zone 3 output? I thought houselogix drivers were no longer available?

Yes, all mic input are always mixed with every zone, but you have a slider per zone to control the mix level (of all microphones) output of this zone. The driver allow control over that pretty easily. So you get two volume control per zone in c4: one for the stereo source and one for all mic, and both are mixed all the time in that zone.

you can also adjust the mixing level of each mic input, but this is done one time in the we interface, the driver does not allow playing with that.

also if you want to mute the mic input, set the volume to 1 and not 0/inf... seems like a bug in the Denon, it does not mute when set to INF. in c4 you can do that using room volume or through programming in composer, i usually do a macros to mute the mic to all zone at startup and unmute only when mic is needed.

hope that make sense.

• 2 months later...

jackstone....I am wrapping up my project and the 508MX is up and running.  I purchased a license key from blackwire and had the driver connected for a short period of time...but now it will not connect.  I have deleted and re-added it.  The serial connection is in place but I am no longer getting the firmware version in the driver.  Any suggestions?  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.