C4 Forums | Control4

Reboot a HC

Tim

This is from Ryan in another thread-

"...Re: This from Control 4 in reference to having Composer ProA system restart can be done simply by powering down the controller, waiting a few seconds, and powering it back up.

Most touchpanels can be rebooted by holding down a specific button (it depends on which touchpanel to say which button)...."

RyanE

I’m asking only from the aspect of a clean shutdown for the Home Controllers. Shutting of the power (i.e. unplugging, turning of the circuit breaker, etc.) has never been a good thing for computer circuitry -- particularly if it uses flash memory or has a harddrive. With Linux running on the boxes there should be a better why to shut the system down instead of the last resort of just cutting power. In this way, a Dealer could remotely reboot an HC if they really had to.

The controllers all run journalling filesystems and read-only root and boot partitions, which should have no problems with cutting power, and in fact, that is a supported way to reboot a controller.

Dealers could also log into the controller, and issue a 'reboot' command.

Edited to add: I believe controllers can also be rebooted by holding down the 'identify' button for 10 seconds... At least it does on my HC300 here at my desk.

RyanE

Ryan -- Thanks for addressing my question. Your response is what I was looking for.... I will try the 'identify' button.

Have you seen any issues with power shutdowns on MCs or HCs w/ harddrives or with USB drives (i.e. bad sectors, allocation table corruption, etc.)? Just curious....

This really should be something the end user can have easy access to. It is a pain in the butt to have to run downstairs, figure out the right controller, and then yank the plug. The reset button on the front of the MC is nice, but until RyanE shared the secret about the HC300 there has been no way to reboot with out pulling the cord.

No, I don't think there's any harm in just pulling the plug, even for controllers with hard drives.

The filesystem is built to handle that situation just fine.

That said, of *course* it's better to reset softly if you have the chance.

About the only 'bad thing' that could happen is that Director could be in the middle of saving your project file, and the file could be half-saved, and corrupted. For this reason, a backup file is saved every time, and if the main project save file is damaged, the backup is used.

So the main reason to reset instead of pulling the plug is to let Director have a chance to save the project file before shutting down gracefully.

RyanE

Aren't the controllers running linux? I have never telnet(ed) into mine but I have seen threads mentioning that it is possible. Can't you just login and then issue the shutdown -r or reboot command from a linux prompt? The only question is what is the password?

I believe controllers can also be rebooted by holding down the 'identify' button for 10 seconds... At least it does on my HC300 here at my desk.

RyanE

Does this process merely reboot the HC300 or does it also reset the project so that it re-loads blank? Too scared to try.....but on occasion I do need to reboot - usually only due to the previous iport driver, but 1.7x seems to have fixed that issue.

Yeah, it should not cause the project to be reset.

If you have ComposerHE (or maybe even ComposerME), you can backup your own project beforehand.

It's always a good idea to keep a backup or two. I make a backup everytime I make a major change, and I've never needed it yet.

To actually clear it to factory, your dealer can do a USB Restore.

RyanE

Fortunately for me, I have something like 200 backups at last count.

Jinxed or not, I think I'm still pretty safe. I have project backups on multiple machines as well...

Let's just say I make a *lot* of changes to my project, and I upgrade a *lot*. I've got a backup from v. 1.2.5.28...

:)

RyanE

Edited To Add: I think I've been on every beta from that point on, as well.

Archived