C4 Forums | Control4

Best door lock - tight door

ekohn00

I have some of the 10 year old locks that haven't worked in a few years.  I'm considering a change before my wife realizes they haven't worked for a few years.

One of the biggest problems, when they worked, was the friction on the bold because of weather seal pushing on the door.  So the question remains, which lock works best or has the "most torque"?

thanks.

im on the other end - my doors used to work.  during a recent renovation project the new doors are not working.  My carpenter has it on his to do list, says its about readjusting the hinges and jamb piece and a few other items to make them align better.  Every try giving those pieces a shot?

10 minutes ago, ekohn00 said:

So the question remains, which lock works best or has the "most torque"?

As per above, your issue isn't the lock, it's the door/weather stripping. It's a matter of hinge adjustment and/or bolt alignment, not what lock to use.

I have some of the 10 year old locks that haven't worked in a few years.  I'm considering a change before my wife realizes they haven't worked for a few years.
One of the biggest problems, when they worked, was the friction on the bold because of weather seal pushing on the door.  So the question remains, which lock works best or has the "most torque"?

thanks.
It's not supposed to be your door lock that pulls the door tight against the weather stripping it should be your latch so your door should be set up so that you push the door until the latch catches and that is the best seal that you should need. And then the deadbolt is just supposed to slide right over with zero friction. At least, that's what my Carpenter told me

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

41 minutes ago, ecschnei said:

It's not supposed to be your door lock that pulls the door tight against the weather stripping it should be your latch so your door should be set up so that you push the door until the latch catches and that is the best seal that you should need. And then the deadbolt is just supposed to slide right over with zero friction. At least, that's what my Carpenter told me

Absolutely correct.

I switched to a C4 lock this weekend (thanks @dcovach 😁 ), but my original lock always needed to be pushed in while latching the deadbolt. I had a handyman swap out the locks and it was just a matter or re-adjusting the deadbolt plate on the door frame. Handyman probably had it done within a half hour total and adding it to control4 was a matter of a few buttons.

I've also had to adjust the hinges after moving in (it was a new house), but these are small adjustments and it should be back aligned.

23 hours ago, ecschnei said:

I also agree. The easiest way to fix the problem is to use a dremel tool to grind out the inside edge of the blot receiver plate in the door frame. I had 2 doors with this problem and fixed them in about 5 minutes. 

Archived