C4 Forums | Control4

Changing TV sound between TV speaker and amplifier, and how to configure its volume control

I could not find any solution. we have TV in living room and its audio output connected to amplifier input 2 . EA3 audio output to Amplifier input 1. it is 8 zone audio matrix amplifier. And speakers in everyroom.
The issue is homeowner does not want to listen audio from TV through speaker all the time. He want to use ceiling speaker sometimes, in example:while watching movie. So i used 1 custom button on SR-260 remote to change audio input between 1 and 2 for living room and it works but i cant manage Volume control. There is TV volume and amplifier volume and when the user listening through TV speaker he should be able to control TV volume with C4 remote control, when the user listening through ceiling speaker he should be able to control amplifier volume with C4 remote control. I think changing that volume control can only done in composer pro. Any solutions? sorry for my bad english.

To touch upon the above suggestion: 2 Rooms= Living (TV) and Living (Speakers)

Put the same devices in each room.  The only differences would be the audio endpoints for each room.  Living TV has the TV bound to audio endpoints and Speakers is bound to the amp.

I can't have the surround sound on at night in the family room, so I sometimes just want tv speakers.  So, I have this exact setup, two rooms.  Even still there are some issues switching between rooms.  They are minor but I had to do some programming for which I switch rooms or power on/off.

I really wish there was a more elegant solution from c4, like the dual display driver.

4 hours ago, Adidaswood said:

I can't have the surround sound on at night in the family room, so I sometimes just want tv speakers.

That's fixing a symptom, not the issue 😉

In fact, a proper surround setup (with possibly the sub turned off or low) should require you to be able to use LOWER volumes then using the TV...meaning the issue is probably that ceiling or wall speakers travel, in which case they should have been insulated better.

🤗

I get it though, which is why I DID suggest the two room setup.

4 hours ago, Adidaswood said:

They are minor but I had to do some programming for which I switch rooms or power on/off.

Hmm, there really shouldn't be any programming required if the setup is done right - the only thing needed would be to turn one room of if the other is turned on. If connections are done right, there shouldn't need to be any further programming required.

a old work around I have used is to add a 2nd cablebox in the room and make connection to a input... edit the receiver driver HDMI2 input code, back to the original IR code (HDMI 1)or macro if needed to switch back to HDMI1.. receiver can be set to HDMI passthrough so it can be on and muted or off completely

I had similar problems in a workout room - added 4 ceiling speakers in an open ceiling space.  The sound was basically just in the ceiling, entering HVAC, and radiating to the rooms above it.  I tried getting dynaboxes in there, but there was too much hvac to make it happen.  I ended up replacing the ceiling speakers with Episode signatures with the optional back boxes that screw onto them, and it make a huge improvement.  In hindsight, I would have done spray-foam on the floor joists coupled with blow-in insulation as we did in the theater and that would have helped with the HVAC that's in the ceiling and cut down on sound travel between rooms, but hindsight is always 20/20.

I know this doesn't tell you how to change it in composer, but it's ultimately what I had to do to fix my issue.

2 hours ago, Cyknight said:

That's fixing a symptom, not the issue 😉

In fact, a proper surround setup (with possibly the sub turned off or low) should require you to be able to use LOWER volumes then using the TV...meaning the issue is probably that ceiling or wall speakers travel, in which case they should have been insulated better.

🤗

I get it though, which is why I DID suggest the two room setup.

Hmm, there really shouldn't be any programming required if the setup is done right - the only thing needed would be to turn one room of if the other is turned on. If connections are done right, there shouldn't need to be any further programming required.

My speakers are in an open ceiling, which is the floor of my daughters room.  It isn't the most ideal surround setup, it was the builders setup for that room.  I think they put in speaker craft.  I'll have to look, I wonder if they have a solution.  

anyway.  if i've been watching the 5.1 room and I switch to the TV room (same living room).  then I end up with volume control on the TV but the surround is still on because that room doesn't shut off automatically and everything passes through the AVR on or off.  unless I do room off and then new room and then watch.  That isn't usually the way it goes.  Its definitely not graceful either way.  I have this cludgy thing where you see the volume going down for 5 seconds.  Now you have me thinking...which isn't safe for anyone.
maybe there is a better way to do this...  see now I'm gonna break something this weekend and the wife and daughter are gonna run me out of dodge if it doesn't work by the time the next episode of the bachelor is on.  

How should the setup be?

When room a turns on, turn room b off and vise verso.

As in a proper setup the TV is one and the same driver, that should remain on.

In other words, that should turn off the surround when you turn the 'tv speakers' on.

After that it depends on what you want really. If you want to auto the volume on the TV down on surround, program that in whatever way thed driver allows. I would advise keeping the volume UP   manual thing - you know you're selecting the TV, so just up it normally.

You can do a lot more depending on the devices and drivers in use - it TVs with commands to turn TV speakers on and off. or best yet, get a simple soundpas instead of TV speakers with on/off control and make the whole issue go away completely.....

11 hours ago, Cyknight said:

When room a turns on, turn room b off and vise verso.

As in a proper setup the TV is one and the same driver, that should remain on.

In other words, that should turn off the surround when you turn the 'tv speakers' on.

After that it depends on what you want really. If you want to auto the volume on the TV down on surround, program that in whatever way thed driver allows. I would advise keeping the volume UP   manual thing - you know you're selecting the TV, so just up it normally.

You can do a lot more depending on the devices and drivers in use - it TVs with commands to turn TV speakers on and off. or best yet, get a simple soundpas instead of TV speakers with on/off control and make the whole issue go away completely.....

i never thought of creating 2 rooms,  the rest i think i can figure it out. Thank you. 

8 hours ago, Moke311 said:

You could use the tv as the videos audio endpoint and the amp as audio endpoint. When you want to watch cable through the ceiling speakers select the source from the Listen menu

No you can't. This in most scenarios will turn the TV off (because C4 wants to turn off the audio for the video so it doesn't interfere).

You CAN revers it - have the TV be the audio endpoint so the system wants to select it when using 'listen'.

This does require seperate paths for all viedo and audio to both the TV and the surround zone (meaning, you cannot go from the receiver to the TV uisng an HDMI)

Archived