C4 Forums | Control4

Wireless Dimmer Possibilities

bog

I'd love to hear how others are using the C4 wireless dimmers in creative ways.

What kind of actions are you associating with double clicks?

Are you using the LEDs on any dimmers to provide any kind of notification or status indicators for other events?

I'd love to hear how others are using the C4 wireless dimmers in creative ways.

What kind of actions are you associating with double clicks?

Are you using the LEDs on any dimmers to provide any kind of notification or status indicators for other events?

We just moved into a pretty large house (10,250 sq ft) from our old home which was around 4000. Since there are a ton of light switches, a lot of them are 'double tap' bottom to turn the whole room off. (e.g. if you double tap the master bedroom's switch by the door leading out, it will turn off all master bedroom, master bathroom and closet lights).

Very nice in the basement especially!!!

My bedroom dimmers are setup so that when you hold down the dimmer and switch down for 4 seconds, the whole house will "turn off" and play an announcement saying so. The led's on the switch and dimmer also will display a cool little light pattern that I made up with each led turning red as each room in the house turns off. Also, if you press the bottom button on the dimmer (and if the light is already off) the TV will turn off if it's on. I made this up because I noticed that if I was leaving the house and the bedroom tv was left on, I'd have to go searching for the remote (wife), this way I could just hit the dimmer on the way out to turn the bedroom "off".

I like the last one. We have 3 tv's in master bedroom/bathroom/gym - that can all be on for one person (wife) who is downstairs cooking. I am going to figure out a 3 button that will change color to indicate when a tv is on - and allows for turning off each one individually by pressing the button. The only question left is - Where do I put the 3 button switch? The kitchen - so she can see it - or my study - so I can hear about it when I turn them off? 8-)

Good ideas.. in order to do these things do you have to make sure there isnt a binding between the dimmer and the light it is supposed to control? Or can you have that binding but then add additional functionality still with the double clicks?

How do you label the keypad/dimmer/switch so that people in your house know the functions? 2 taps/hold down/.....etc.

I wouldn't want to see a bunch of notes hanging around these devices to remind or inform the various people in the house what the capabilities are.

How do you label the keypad/dimmer/switch so that people in your house know the functions? 2 taps/hold down/.....etc.

I wouldn't want to see a bunch of notes hanging around these devices to remind or inform the various people in the house what the capabilities are.

I just tell my wife...my kids are still too little to use the system.

Guests typically don't do anything other than maybe pause a movie, so it has never been a problem for me.

For the most part I think people just make the dimmers etc do normal things the way people usually use them (ie top part turns light on, bottom turns it off) and just add 'additional' functionality with double taps that the household users will know. Probably best to just keep it consistent rather than changing what a bottom double tap does in various rooms for simplicity.

The way I look at it is if the double taps etc dont make logical sense and you have a bunch of them programmed differently around the house itll end up causing too much confusion. On the other hand if a double tap of the bottom part of a dimmer always turns *all* lights off in a room then it is easy to remember and very helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Could someone help me with this script.

I have 3 dimmers in my bedroom.

- Ceiling Light

- Wall Light

- Bathroom

Two of the dimmers are located in a 4x4 wall plate and the bathroom dimmer is located in the ceiling.

The dimmer for the ceiling light TOP turns on the bathroom light, the BOTTOM turns on the ceiling light.

I can program for different colors but the problem is that if the BOTTOM is off the TOP led does not display, is there a work around ?

PS : When the Ceiling and Bathroom is Off, the leds must be Black

Thanks

If "ceiling light" = on then what LED is on?

If "wall light" = on then what LED is on?

If "bathroom light" = on then what LED is on?

And same for off.

Set the "TOP LED OFF" colour to whatever you want.

I'm still don't know what the logic is of your programming or undr what conditions you want to set the TOP LED OFF colours.

How would you get data from external sources into C4 so that you could use it to color LEDs. Let's say you wanted stock market up = green LED, stock market down = red LED - how could you use data from a web site to set a C4 variable?

You need someone who can write drivers, and ComposerPro to add that driver to your project.

Even with Pro, it doesn't automatically give you the ability to write DriverWorks drivers.

They're not created with a 'wizard', they're created with a text editor (or XML editor) outside of ComposerPro.

RyanE

Zaphad:

You can use telnet or netcat to send commands to your controller via 5020/TCP. If you're smart you can write your own PC program to automate the setting of LEDs.

The following command sets the buttom LED to black (x'000000') when off for dimmer with iddevice=28.

<c4soap name="OnDataToUI" result="0" async="1"><param name="iddevice" type="ulong">28</param><param name="data" type="xml"><bottom_led_off>000000</bottom_led_off></param></c4soap>

• 5 months later...

Color to represent function helps me a lot

Red = turn group off

Green = turn group on

orange = fan

purple = audio

blue = light

3 button keypad

top button - single tap will ramp main lights in room on to 100% or off

- LED is blue if lights are off (to locate in dark and provide nice night light in room)

- LED is off if light level is on

- double tap will turn TV on or off

- Labeled "Main Light"

Middle Button - Ramp all lights in room on

- LED is Green at all times

- Labeled "Room ON"

Bottom Button - Ramp all lights in room off

- LED is Red at all times

- Labeled "Room OFF"

6 button keypad

Top right - single tap will ramp main lights in room on to 100% or off

- LED is blue if lights are off (to locate in dark and provide nice night light in room)

- double tap will turn TV on or off

- Labeled "Main Light"

Top Left - single tap will ramp secondary lights in room on to 100% or off

- Labeled "Fireplace Light"

Middle Right - single tap will turn stereo on or off

- LED is purple at all times

- Labeled "Stereo"

Middle Left - hold will turn volume up or down (depending on last state)

- LED is off at all times

- Labeled "Volume"

Bottom left - Ramp all lights in room on

- LED is Green at all times

- Labeled "Room ON"

Bottom right - Ramp all lights in room off

- LED is Red at all times

- Labeled "Room OFF"

Kttii - Excellent post.

I like how you are using the single button for volume. I use a dimmer so behaviour is slightly different (it will always affect the light). What do you think of this logic:

-Hold top button turns volume up/down slowly (up/down determined based on the value of volume_action variable). On release it sets variable volume_action=up or volume_action=down (depending on it's current value).

Archived