C4 Forums | Control4

Intercom & Control4 App consolidation

Cbell

Instead of having two mobile apps on my phone I would like to have the Intercom anywhere app collapsed into the Control4 App. It makes it easier to create and communicate to the other family members how to interact with our Home and each other. Because I’m in the Apps all of the time I’m accustomed to their functionality. But it would definitely be a better experience collapsing it into one, and if I can continue to dream, it would be great if a long press and select to invoke the intercom from the mobile phone, or tie it to a key if it’s an Android device. That would be great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suspect that's just not feasible at this point in time.

At best, the 'main' app just has too many updates compared to the intercom one, and updating the intercom should NOT be dependant on updating the main app.

The there's the issue of updating both OS2 apps and OS3 apps.

While in an ideal world, one app might be nice, I'm not so sure that it would in fact be a good idea. You know, like having a modem and router an wifi all in one device sounds like it's nice and easy, but in real life.... 😉

I see your point but disagree. Looking at your all in one analogy. Interesting enough ubiquity just released an all in one almost exactly as you’ve referenced. With that being said... In this golden age of Application development, and with some planning, I suspect they could pull the two code sets into parity, and then collapse it into one, without backing themselves into a dependency corner. It may because intercom anywhere was a long time coming, not having the same time in the market as the main app, and I believe consolidation will come once the dust settles from other initiatives (I.e Neo, CA-10, etc) and the SnapAV influence. Streamlining, on many levels, is inevitable.

22 hours ago, Cbell said:

Interesting enough ubiquity just released an all in one almost exactly as you’ve referenced.

And? That doesn't change if it's a good idea or not 😉

16 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

Intercom Anywhere App as responsive (quick to load) as possible

Fair point, having to load the full app, especially if there were changes made and it had to reload, would certainly slow it down.

In this golden age of Application development,

You mean the golden age where most apps out there have bugs introduced with major upgrades?

The point remains the same - would you want to lose intercom, just because there's an issue with the house control portion?

The main app is likely also far more susceptible to changes made by Apple and Google to the underlying OS than the intercom app is.

I see your point but disagree

You're free to, but I disagree that it would be a good idea to merge the two. 🙂

From an end-user point of view, I have no problem with Intercom Anywhere being a separate app.  My dissatisfaction is how it performs its function as a separate app (at least on my Android Oreo Samsung Note 8, can't speak to other phones or OS's).

If someone rings the bell, I get the ring on my phone.  I then have to get it out, unlock it, swipe down to see the notification, tap the notification, wait for the app to open, and then tap the answer icon.  Takes *way* too long to do.

It should come in as a phone call, where basically a single tap or swipe would answer the call.  Now I have no idea of the technical challenges, or possibly prohibitions, to make this happen, but this would be so much better.

I agree with Don. That flow is way too long. It would be a much better experience if that functioned almost like the native dialer. Having had some experience with Integrating apps in my work environment, I know how difficult it is to get Apple to open up IOS in the name of security. And although Android is a lot more malleable, it’s always best to keep parity between Android and IOS whenever possible. So we may not see a change there any time soon.

As for losing the intercom if we temporarily lost the Native App. I’ve only had my system for maybe three years now. I don’t recall many App failures. Maybe I wasn’t paying attention all that much in my early days. But I don’t recall many significant issues outside of the Certificate one. And I agree, all ideas aren’t good ones. But I haven’t seen many products increase user adoption by splitting functionality / features into multiple interfaces. Again... for those like myself where I love this stuff that’s great. However, everyone else in my house hold who interacts with it, and truly likes the solution, because it’s a frictionless approach to home automation, now has to think about what app and when. And what’s that ringing, etc... And back to Don’s point. By the time you unlock your phone and get into the intercom app, you’ve missed the call.

I’ll end with the following. I suspect that most people use the intercom in the following ways:
Room to room via T3.
Mobile to Room.

And... not necessarily
T3 to mobile.
Mobile to mobile.

6 hours ago, ILoveC4 said:

When it rings on my phone I click the notification and I’m in. If I want to talk I hit the button and talk. I don’t think the flow is bad

Same here, except I need to unlock. Finger print for me, face would be another option

15 hours ago, Don Cohen said:

I then have to get it out, unlock it, swipe down to see the notification, tap the notification, wait for the app to open, and then tap the answer icon.  Takes *way* too long to do.

Sounds more like a problem with the phone than the app.

I agree that functioning as a phone call would be nice, but you already pointed out the many caveats with it.

Note that for me, if I have a bluetooth device attached to it (ie earpiece or vehicle) I can pick up using it's phone function just fine as well (obviously that would be audio only unless I grab my phone)

9 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Same here, except I need to unlock. Finger print for me, face would be another option

Sounds more like a problem with the phone than the app.

I agree that functioning as a phone call would be nice, but you already pointed out the many caveats with it.

Note that for me, if I have a bluetooth device attached to it (ie earpiece or vehicle) I can pick up using it's phone function just fine as well (obviously that would be audio only unless I grab my phone)

Are you saying that simply tapping the notification 'answers' the call, without having to wait for the App to open, and then tap the 'answer' icon in the App?  Is this iPhone or Android?

Interesting about it working differently with a bluetooth device attached - I'll have to check it out.

5 hours ago, Don Cohen said:

Are you saying that simply tapping the notification 'answers' the call, without having to wait for the App to open, and then tap the 'answer' icon in the App?  Is this iPhone or Android?

Interesting about it working differently with a bluetooth device attached - I'll have to check it out.

I use an iPhone. And yes - if I tap the notification it launches the app and goes right to where I can see and hear whatever is happening at the DS2. Then I can hit the button to talk to them.

• 1 year later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.