C4 Forums | Control4

TP-Link HS200 vs C4-SW120277

dw886

I'm not sure why I hadn't even given this though earlier, but for closets and other places where aesthetics aren't top of list, is there any drawback to using TP-Link switches where I'd normally put C4-SW120277 switches if the zigbee mesh in those areas is already strong when Alan's driver is already part of a project? 

The HS200 switches are $20 retail, so for the spare bedroom closets where I find the traditional switches left accidentally on, it seems like a no-brainer...the only downside that I can see is that they look different and the TP-Link switches obviously wouldn't help to strengthen the zigbee mesh.

Am I missing something?

I think you meant to say "aren't top of the list"...but no, no reason not to use them really.  I'm not going on experience here though, as I don't have much with those switches.  There is probably just a slight lag when controlling them as compared to C4 switches.  And of course, there is the $90 cost of the driver, a little bit longer time to program, and you'll need a good wifi signal in the switch locations.

6 minutes ago, chopedogg88 said:

I think you meant to say "aren't top of the list"...but no, no reason not to use them really.  I'm not going on experience here though, as I don't have much with those switches.  There is probably just a slight lag when controlling them as compared to C4 switches.  And of course, there is the $90 cost of the driver, a little bit longer time to program, and you'll need a good wifi signal in the switch locations.

Correct, I did mean where aesthetics aren't top of list - I corrected it in my original post - thanks for pointing that out.  The driver is a one-time cost, so if you needed 10 switches, you'd be looking at like $290 total (10 switches @ $20, and the $90 driver), or $29/each.  Seems reasonable provided that wifi signal is decent at each location.

I have more faith in Lutron Caseta than TP Link, long term.

Twice the initial cost per switch.
Pro bridge cost vs driver is almost a wash.

But great Lutron quality vs TP Link, AND it's not 10 more things on your WiFi, and the Lutron Pico is a great remote for the cars.

I've had a bunch of them for I think around 3 years or so, with no down time. They're actually super reliable, and now the chowmain driver allows them to be added to advanced lighting scenes.. So really as long as you don't need a whole bunch of them (extra wifi congestion), and don't mind the other points already mentioned, they work very well in my experience so far.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.