C4 Forums | Control4

Networking

bdo21

Hi everyone,

A network engineer friend of mine setup my network initially but used enterprise Cisco switches and it has proven too difficult for me to manage (I’m techy but the Cisco CLI is too complicated for me!!). I am thinking about replacing all the Cisco switches - I want something high quality and stable and good with C4 but manageable by a competent end user.

I have two 48 port POE switches in one location and one 48 port POE switch in another location with a fibre link between them.

I have Zyxel router, WiFi manager and WAPs in case this makes any difference.

What would people recommend please?

Thank you!

2 hours ago, bdo21 said:

Thank you. I thought Ubiquity didn’t behave well with C4? Perhaps I’m wrong.

I don’t have OVRC today - it was on my list for the future but not essential.

Running Ubiquiti for my c4 stuff.  seems to work fine.  Nice Gui (I would recommend using one of the cloud hosted unifi controllers)..

I forgot why but I needed to do CLI to make some changes in a unifi router.  Had issues doing it and returned it.  Using Mikrotik now and it works fine.  All the features are within the UI.  It’s a lil basic looking re the UI but its 100% functional.  I only mention the CLI re: Unifi because that is why you want to ditch the Cisco stuff.  

Ubiquity is on the C4 no list because it is not simple AV designed networking. Most of the pro AV industry struggles at real networking and Control4 doesn't have time to filed 100 networking calls that all can be poorly configured, it would never stop.  I run all of my AV and home automation systems using Ubiquity if I have the ability. 

Pakedge is IMO crap and horribly overpriced. It was a fantastic brand until C4 got a hold of them and admittedly "dumbed" it down for dealers without removing the price prestige. 

Rukus is good but really just made for commercial similar to Meraki

Araknis is ok. Designed to be simple and entry level. Useful if you want POE port control with OvrC or MoIP but otherwise unnecessary. 

Luxul would be my second choice. It's the most sophisticated "AV" networking brand and allows the full range of expected options from a more experience network tech and supported by a lot of products. I don't have the most reliable experience with their routers or WIFI when really pushed however.

Netgear is also making big pushes back into the industry with higher AV performance and smart home design in mind. 

I use Meraki a lot for work (IT consultant) and it is nice but you are certainly paying for the privilege of Meraki.  and if you don't renew the subscription the equipment turns off (unlike your cisco stuff).

your switches may have this ability (depending what model they are).  Its called Cisco Configuration Professional Express..

https://www.pluralsight.com/blog/it-ops/cisco-configuration-professional-express

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.